• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Initial Range Report FN SPR A2

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
Picked up the rifle yesterday from my FFL, loaded up what I had and went to the range. It's an FN SPR A2 in .308 from Mike at Tactical Coordination. IOR 10x42 MP8, TPS low rings. I only had my cell phone for pics. I'll take some pics of the rifle later on but here's what it printed today.

I used some loads that had performed well in the past. All middle of the road powder throws and seated deep enough to feed in the magazine.

Mike told me that the rifle would prefer projectiles in the 168-178 grain range despite the 1:12 twist. I'm not from Missouri but missed a fine opportunity so I had to see for myself. He was right. The 155 SMK group was so bad I didn't bother to take a photo, just under 2".

First up is the Hornady 165 BTSP that shot well in my K31. 44 grains of Varget, OAL is 2.75" and they are crimped at the cannelure with a Lee factory crimp. Two 5 shot groups. One looks like 4 rounds but I've accounted for every round I took, so I either missed the entire target or shot one round in the same hole.

The groups are measure edge to edge with .275" subtracted for hole diameter. Even though it's a .308, that's the size hole it was cutting.

Photo06251012_1.jpg

Photo06251013_1.jpg

I only had seven Hornady 178 A-Max (43.2 grains of Varget) so I only fired one five shot group but it was a winner. I can't wait to get some more of these.

Photo06251013_2.jpg

I bought some PRVI 168 Match projectiles a while back. They did okay and if I went to the trouble to weigh them, they would make good ammo for plinking. 42.5 gr Varget.

Photo06251013.jpg

Finally the 155 Berger VLD over 44 grains of Varget.

Photo06251012.jpg

Overall, I am very impressed with the rifle. I'm looking forward to trying some different powders and seating depths. I'm also going to pick up some more 178 Amax, along with some 175 and 168 SMK. I feel confident that with a tailored load, this weapon will be a solid .5 MOA rifle.

Re: Initial Range Report FN SPR A2

Paul,

Great range report, I'd be happy if I could duplicate that group you put up with the 178 amax's. I hope to get the the range with my new SPR tomorrow....I'll keep you posted.

John

My SPR really loves 175gn match kings with Varget.....you might throw them in the mix. Anyways congrats on the new stick!
Phillip

I'm biased towards the 178 Amax also. I've shot them and had great success at longer ranges then the SMK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pink(MiST)</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm biased towards the 178 Amax also. I've shot them and had great success at longer ranges then the SMK. </div></div>

I'm definitely going to pick up some more of these. What load are you using?

You got yourself a good start. Don’t be disheartened on the 155 berger's. Any vld projectile will be seating depth picky when not resting in the lands. More so than say standard match profiles. But once you find the depth it likes it will run with the rest of them.

Case in point I wanted a load for Berger’s 168 vld in my factory rem tactical. Rather than stretch the testing out for several weeks ladder testing with different seating depths in the mix at my long distance range (3 hour drive round trip) I chose to load up 5, 3 shot loads in the area I know other 168’s run well. Loaded to max mag friendly length and tested them at home at 100 yards. Then took the best two and dropped the OAL by .015 and reran the test, both shot better. The heavier of the two loads was in the .5’s so no need to go further in the short term. Next time out at the long range I will shoot these with one more test load a little shorter oal at 500y. Pick the better of the two and I got my mule deer load that will work perfectly with my FDAC slide rule and my old school BDC m3 knob in the leupold.