• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Inleting a stock

mtm87tx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2006
Texas
Just got a 5R take off for a shillen #7 308, front bolt will not go in the receiver so im assuming the barrel is to big for the stock inletting. is this something I need to send off to do or just it just need to be opened up alittle?

Re: Inleting a stock

you can open the channel up. Just depends on how you feel about doing it yourself.

doesn't look like it needs much but I hate to mess up a good HS precision that I could sell and put towards the manners I want

Float it with a deep well socket or chunk of broom handle with sandpaper wrapped around it. Or get out the dremel with a sanding drum.

if the barrel channel needs to be opened up, it is easy and only takes about 10-15 min. I would go to Home Depot/ Lowe's and get a wooden dowel that is close to the size you need (maybe a little smaller) and the variety pack of sand paper. Stick it in a padded vise, wrap the coarsest grit on first and open it up. finish it with the finest grit and you should be GTG. Lastly... Go Slow! you can always take more off but you cant put it back