• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Inletting- a New approach?

Revenge Seeker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2007
VA. U.S.A
Trying to decide the best way to Inlet a stock blank for a BR quality fit.

My though was; The OD of my action(single Shot) is going to be 1.350" OD, so, if I were to use a 1.500" Ball end mill, and simply cut the radius centered in the stock, and to the correct depth, then mill out the trigger slot and mounting holes, then the other small work, this would give me a consistent thickness of bedding material all the way around the bottom of the action.

Would this be Better or Worse than doing a traditional "Pocket" inlet job?

Re: Inletting- a New approach?

i would say the same as above,and also from experience it is wise to try it on a cheap piece of wood before going after it with you stock blank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teambarlar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would say the same as above,and also from experience it is wise to try it on a cheap piece of wood before going after it with you stock blank. </div></div>

There not much a bunch of marine-tex cant fix... lol

But I don't want to have Marine Tex on a $1000 redwood stock.

To each his own.