• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Inletting AICS lug area for .3 tubb lug

radmcg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Mobile, AL
Who can Inlet an AICS stock for a .3 lug? In a reasonable turn around time. Is there a good way to do this in a home shop without a mill?
AHA
Rad

Re: Inletting AICS lug area for .3 tubb lug

You can do it on the Mill at your shop if you have one. I have done a few. I use the Tubb lugs so I have done exactly what you are asking. You have to make sure that your table is dialed in so when you make a "X" adjustment, its true and has no run out, same thing with the "Y". Once that is tramming true, you take the skins off, You might have to take a little off the bottom of the lug area and the front. Do not touch the rear where the back of the lug touches.

This one in the picture, I took a little off of the back of the lug area because I trued the receiver face and had to bump it back to get my measurements right.

DSC02108.jpg

DSC02110.jpg

DSC02114.jpg

DSC02121.jpg

I used a Dremel on mine. Just stay of the rear surface of the recess that the lug pushes against, then Dremel the shit out of it...

A mill is definitely the way I would've preferred to do it, but it appears I have misplaced mine...
laugh.gif

Don't worry Mike I am planning on a long action aics for my new 6.5 X 284. But if you want I can use the dremel on yours as practice before you pick it up. (LOL) I'm sure it would work out well:)
Hopefully see you tomorrow.
Rad

Don't fear the Dremel... God put it on this earth for you and me...

I'm jealous of your mill...

I'd love to buy a mill and lathe, but unless I'm making money with 'em I just can't justify it... I used to have a machinist neighbor that used to let me mooch off his stuff. I miss the shit out of that.

Yeah that is a good setup that you had. Those pictures were taken at Montgomery Community College in Troy, NC. They have a great set up plenty of new machines that work great......I was spoiled!!! All of them had DRO's, lathes had a matching 4 jaw, 3 jaw, collet chuch, a whole collet set. Coolent systems, accurate tailstocks and just about all the support equipment and tools needed to do correct gunsmithing. It is going to be pretty expensive to duplicate the setup for myself one day.

rad, another option you have is to chuck your barreled action in a lathe and face the front (barrel side) of the recoil lug thinner. i did mine this way. i cut it to .002" less than the opening in the stock. just make sure it is thinned to a diameter less than the reciever.

i did this for two reasons. i don't have access to a mill, and i'd rather cut up a $25 recoil lug than a $1k AICS 2.0.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rad, another option you have is to chuck your barreled action in a lathe and face the front (barrel side) of the recoil lug thinner. i did mine this way. i cut it to .002" less than the opening in the stock. just make sure it is thinned to a diameter less than the reciever.

i did this for two reasons. i don't have access to a mill, and i'd rather cut up a $25 recoil lug than a $1k AICS 2.0. </div></div>

why even buy the thicker lug in the first place? the stock is gravy to modify for anyone with a mill. most likely the recoil lug height will also need to be shortened to keep it from bottoming out in the aics recoil lug inlet.

i say have your smith doing the installation of the lug also inlet the aics for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rad, another option you have is to chuck your barreled action in a lathe and face the front (barrel side) of the recoil lug thinner. i did mine this way. i cut it to .002" less than the opening in the stock. just make sure it is thinned to a diameter less than the reciever.

i did this for two reasons. i don't have access to a mill, and i'd rather cut up a $25 recoil lug than a $1k AICS 2.0. </div></div>

why even buy the thicker lug in the first place? the stock is gravy to modify for anyone with a mill. most likely the recoil lug height will also need to be shortened to keep it from bottoming out in the aics recoil lug inlet.

i say have your smith doing the installation of the lug also inlet the aics for it. </div></div>

What he said about cutting on the lug....

But, one thing I noticed on my stock, was that the recess is actually deeper than the length of the lug, so no need to make it deeper.

I have been using Tubb's recoil lugs which are roughly .360" after surface girding both sides true, the Badger knobs I believe run around .3". I guess I start to wonder if a thicker lug is even necessary???? I'm getting tired of having to inlet every stock that I use and also paying more for them!