• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Inletting for DBM

Wesek

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2011
AR
I ordered on of the Atlasworks DBM units in the recent group buy and, since they seem to be trickling in now, I am expecting mine any day.

The gunsmiths in my area don't seem to be interested in anything other than duck guns (and I don't have access to a mill) so I am soliciting help from the Hide.

Any 'smiths here interested and willing to do the inlet for these?

The next best option for me would be to buy a cross sliding vise for my drill press, chuck up an end mill and chew away. I'm not too keen on that one though.

Re: Inletting for DBM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We can!

Give us call if you like.

C.</div></div>

Thanks Chad. I will be giving you a call Monday.

Have a good weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We can!

Give us call if you like.

C. </div></div>

Mind posting a price for us? Only ask because I know there are more than a few getting these and looking for a solid option!

Would some one follow up this post and put the answers in the Alternative metal thread? Thanks

I spoke with Chad Dixon about a inlet and fyi he does not do them on stocks with aluminum bedding blocks such as B&C...if anyone is interested..

This is interesting, because in another thread I asked about inletting stocks with the aluminum backbone (B&C specifically) and everyone responded that it was not an issue to inlet them. I was worrying about losing strength and integrity by milling the aluminum. I hate to bother Chad with a question about work he will not do, did he happen to say why he won't inlet the BC stock?

I am interested because I am awaiting my Atlasworxs BM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: claudesapp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is interesting, because in another thread I asked about inletting stocks with the aluminum backbone (B&C specifically) and everyone responded that it was not an issue to inlet them. I was worrying about losing strength and integrity by milling the aluminum. I hate to bother Chad with a question about work he will not do, did he happen to say why he won't inlet the BC stock?

I am interested because I am awaiting my Atlasworxs BM.</div></div>

Nall, he never said specifically why he wouldn't do it...just that he didnt do inletting on stocks with aluminum bedding blocks.

Thanks for the response. GA won't, and now LongRifles will not do the inlet, I'll have to keep looking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: claudesapp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is interesting, because in another thread I asked about inletting stocks with the aluminum backbone (B&C specifically) and everyone responded that it was not an issue to inlet them. I was worrying about losing strength and integrity by milling the aluminum. I hate to bother Chad with a question about work he will not do, did he happen to say why he won't inlet the BC stock?

I am interested because I am awaiting my Atlasworxs BM.</div></div>

Well, I talked to Chad today about the inletting. Unfortunately, I have a B&C stock also. What I got from our conversation was this:

There is the potential for the cutter to "grab" the aluminum block and damage it, so he'd rather not run the risk of ruining someone's stock.

I can't say that I blame him.

Oh well, I guess the search continues...

I have no problem inletting stocks with the block such as B&C and HS

give me a call if you like

High Speed Shooting Systems
James Thomas
(509) 945-6623

I did a batch of stocks last week to suit the Lumley Arms DBM's (same as the Badger Inlet I think), one had an aluminium bedding block and it wasn't a worry, I can't say it would be the same for every stock. I've done a B&C Howa stock for a CDI DBM, that came out fine as well. I'm not much use to you though being in Australia.

HS precision stock below:

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

It's up to the bloke running the machine though, if I had a bad experience doing one, I'd say no to the next one as well.

Cheers,
Greg

Hey Greg I've just stumbled across your post and am hoping you will inlet a hs precision stock from 700p. I'm looking at a lumney arms dbm from delta tactical. I'm on the Sunshine Coast Qld

Cheers mate

I'm not familiar with Atlasworks but doing Surgeon and Badger I just precut the pillars .005" long and run the program. Biggest pain is setting them up. The holes never line up ;-)

I bought a used HS Precision off Gunbroker and had it sent directly to CDI Precision and they inletted it with no problems for $60.
(Just noticed the op made this post back in 2011 so hopefully he found someone to inlet his stock by now.)

Last edited:
This may sound kinda janky to the machinists present but I also had issues finding someone to inlet my B&C for the PTG Stealth DBM. Not being one who likes to rely on others, I bought a cheap X/Y table for my drill press and a couple of different endmills and did it myself. I traced the bottom metal with a silver sharpie and then slowly started removing material and continually checking the fit. It came out quite well and I would do it again. There were no issues with alignment or feeding. I probably had a few hours in it all told.

-Bryan

Just be careful if you try to use that same modified drill press for anything where precision is needed. The drill press was not made for milling duty short of LIGHT duty. Kinda like using a knife to screw something down. Can do but may damage things.

Just be careful if you try to use that same modified drill press for anything where precision is needed. The drill press was not made for milling duty short of LIGHT duty. Kinda like using a knife to screw something down. Can do but may damage things.

Yeah, I hear ya. Well aware. I would not recommend it for anything requiring precision. Also, the chuck is taper fit in the spindle so it will fall out if you put too much side load on it. I did mostly plunge cuts followed by light sweeping cleanup cuts.