• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing inletting problem

persistant7500

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
Buckeye AZ
I just tried to install my r700 sps into a used B&C tactical medalist style 3 I just bought. I am running the bottom metal that came with the hogue stock it originally came with, but when I even snug up the action screws I can't close the BDL mag bottom plate. Looking at it, it appears that the bottom metal sits inside the stock. Is it ok to fill that gap with washers or do I need to open the stock more to allow the bottom plate to close? Jeff

Re: inletting problem

Are you sure the mag box is sitting in the action properly?
Are you sure the bottom metel is sitting on the mag box properly?

A picture of the specific problem might be helpful...

I can move the box back and forth like it's supposed to, but the trap door won't lock because it hits the stock before getting to the lock on the latch.

Pics of the current situation would indeed be helpful.

You're sure that the bottom metal inlet is correct for your type of bottom metal?

If it is correct, sounds like the inlet is too deep if the floor plate hits the stock before the latch engages. Also, the mag box shouldn't be moving "back and forth" when things are correct.

Washers are a band-aid.

Bed the bottom metal so that the front and rear are flush with the stock. You may end up needing longer action screws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, the mag box shouldn't be moving "back and forth" when things are correct.</div></div>

Actually, it should move between the action and the bottom metal by a very small amount, perhaps 0.020" or so.
That is how you know that the stock is clamped between the bottom metal and the action.
If the magazine box is bearing firmly against the action and the bottom metal, you are probably not going to be properly clamping the stock between them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, the mag box shouldn't be moving "back and forth" when things are correct.</div></div>

Actually, it should move between the action and the bottom metal by a very small amount, perhaps 0.020" or so.
That is how you know that the stock is clamped between the bottom metal and the action.
If the magazine box is bearing firmly against the action and the bottom metal, you are probably not going to be properly clamping the stock between them. </div></div>

Agreed.

I read "back and forth" in his post to mean fore and aft, and by a lot.

it's a used stock I bought from a hide member. The box moves just slightly indicating that it is not bound up and the action is properly sitting on the bedding block. The rear of the bottom metal is .087" below the surface of the stock, and the front is .058 below. It's not a lot but it doesn't allow the plastic trap door to close and latch with the screws just snugged up. The reason I was thinking washers is because I plan to buy a bottom metal and have it inletted to this stock in the future, but with school starting soon I will have to wait a couple months on this. The previous owner said it was inletted for the BDL bottom metal and it seems to fit except it's just a little to deep. Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: persistant7500</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's a used stock I bought from a hide member. The box moves just slightly indicating that it is not bound up and the action is properly sitting on the bedding block. The rear of the bottom metal is .087" below the surface of the stock, and the front is .058 below. It's not a lot but it doesn't allow the plastic trap door to close and latch with the screws just snugged up. The reason I was thinking washers is because I plan to buy a bottom metal and have it inletted to this stock in the future, but with school starting soon I will have to wait a couple months on this. The previous owner said it was inletted for the BDL bottom metal and it seems to fit except it's just a little to deep. Jeff</div></div>

Jeff,

Give us a call. We're just down the street.