• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing inletting rem700 mcmillan stock for badger action

jsedacca

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2006
New Port Richey, FL
Hey guys,
Just snagged a badger action and sold my rem700 barreled action. The mcmillan stock is inletted for the SA 700. How involved is the fitting of the badger action to this stock? Any help is appreciated.

Re: inletting rem700 mcmillan stock for badger action

If your list of equipment doesn't include a milling machine, it's going to be a job better left to professionals. If you do have a mill, it would be pretty easy.

McMillan would probably be able to cut the inlet for you if you sent it in. Give them a call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kombar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your list of equipment doesn't include a milling machine, it's going to be a job better left to professionals. If you do have a mill, it would be pretty easy.

McMillan would probably be able to cut the inlet for you if you sent it in. Give them a call. </div></div>

Thanks. I certainly won't be attempting it and never even considered it. The smith doing the barrel fitting/chambering will be in charge of making sure everything is kosher

If you already have an A5 inletted for a Remington it will take alot of custom work to make the badger 2008 fit nicely in the stock. We have an A5 mold specifically to fit the Badger 2008 action.

Re: inletting rem700 mcmillan stock for badger act

yep, call them. they have always fixed all my problems. Great people!

That is a job that if you want to do it yourself a friend of mine gives classes on inletting and bedding stocks at his shop in Iowa. Gunsmith Gordy Gritters. I have watched him and he takes making perfect rifles to the next level. He has taught me a lot about building rifles and teaches you all the little secrets. For example when I turn a Broughton barrel it chatters a little bit so he taught me to put a cleaning patch over the reamer and let the reamer cut through the patch to get to the barrel metal. Problem solved, no more chatter and perfect concentricity. Believe me that inletting a stock that is made for a particular action is hard enough to do a good job on and trying to make it fit another is a whole different world........ hope that helps

At the release of the action...a few companies, (GAP for one), offered to do it for a pretty reasonable fee. IIRC S/F

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rudyard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For example when I turn a Broughton barrel it chatters a little bit so he taught me to put a cleaning patch over the reamer and let the reamer cut through the patch to get to the barrel metal. Problem solved, no more chatter and perfect concentricity. </div></div>

i was not expecting to get that kind of advice in a thread about stock inletting but i will definatly file that somewhere up in my head for when i need it! thanks.