• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Inletting Williams Bottom Metal

SND

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2006
Central Michigan
Bought some used metal from a member and inletted it to my 5R stock. It was ~1/4" longer in the front to I needed to extent that area of the stock and widen the rear of the mag well area just a bit. It slips in nicely and seems to sit on the pillars well. Torqued the metal down just as with the factory metal. No probs. Just went and shot 300 yds and it seems as though it's throwing proven loads just a bit. The bell has rung on the installation but am I missing something?? There are a few small spots that are tight.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Re: Inletting Williams Bottom Metal

Just clean it up so there is no pressure anywhere and if your so inclined bedding it never hurts.

Re: Inletting Williams Bottom Metal

Thanks. I may have had a bit too much caffeine in me this morning. I checked the setup over and hit the range again [less than a mile from home] with much better results. I most likely wasn't getting on the gun and watching my form. It's back to itself again ... I should say, I'm back to myself again!!! Thanks for the response and I will consider bedding the metal.

Scott