• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inline Quick Change Plate Mounting

AllenOne1

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2020
Middle Tennessee
Did you guys mount your quick change base by inletting it into the bench top or did you spacer it up so it is proud of the bench surface? I'm thinking about mounting it proud of the top so if I move it I don't have to fill the hole.

If you mounted it proud of the bench top did you use the Inline spacer plate or did you just put some washers under the base? Do you wish you would have set it down into the bench top?

What bench vise do you have mounted to it if any?

Any advice for someone starting out with this system?

Mounted mine flush. I bought the spacer but decided to go ahead and router the bench top. I still have the spacer laying around. If you are interested maybe could save a couple bucks.

I have a viper barrel vise with the quick change plate and it works well for me.

Reactions: AllenOne1
My bench top is two parts - 3/4-plywood on 4x4 wood legs with a 2x4 frame and some stuff I found that is about half-inch thick with plywood in the middle and hardboard laminated on both sides. The hardboard/plywood piece is glued to the top of the 3/4 ply.

The QC bases are about half an inch thick so I cut rectangles in that top layer for the QC bases. Each QC base is bolted to the 3/4 ply and surrounded on three sides by that extra top material so the QC plates are flush with the top.

I cut the rectangles a little too large - there are gaps. I could fill the gaps with caulking compound but I haven't bothered. The fit is close and nothing has fallen in there yet.

When I cut the rectangles, I positioned my plates from the edge of the bench top. After installing, I changed the plan and put a piece of 1x6 facia on the front of the bench. I had not thought about the facia when I planned the rectangular cuts. I had to go back and router out a place in the facia for the press-handle-pivot to pivot and to provide finger room to tighten and loosen the thumb-screws.

I installed two bases and I'm satisfied with what I did - it could have been better but this works and it is very easy to swap reloading presses, barrel vise, and primer pocket decrimp device. I put storage brackets on the end of the bench. If I get another press, one QC plate and I'm in business. The guy who runs Inline is great - I'm sorry, I forget his name. I asked questions via email and he responded right away. I bought several other things from him and it all works well and was well thought out and his prices are good.

Reactions: AllenOne1