• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

inner neck honing

newageroman

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2018
www.brassbucket.net
I'm trying a few batches with honed inner necks. Light champer, poly brush, then smaller brush with fine sandpaper. There's a noticeable difference in appearance.
I've noticed some reddish or orangeish oxidation after annealing which is cleaned up a bit. Anyone else tried this? thoughts?

I haven't gone that far; just running a brush through the necks during the chamfer/debur process. Uniformity is the name of the game, but I'd be curious if you see any consistency gains by putting that much effort into polishing the necks?

Just like using lubrication, you’ll see a decrease in friction. I can affect nothing, be “good” or be “bad”. All just depends on your overall process.

“Neck Tension” is a sum of many things, most notably: interference fit, friction, neck wall thickness, and spring back.

Anytime you change one of those, you may need to change one or more things to compensate for the original change.

Reactions: huntnh
Well said, Its more a question of curiosity at this point.
I have a bunch of 6ARC loaded without that process, It will be interesting to compare those rounds to these with all/most other components the same. I don't think I had SD and ES numbers for those rounds recorded in the past, just Avg vel. I can just run them side by side and compare/see.