• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Input for first AR build

tna9001

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2017
Asheville NC
Hey Guys,

I've got a rough plan sorted out but I want to be sure I'm not missing anything before I start buying things. I'm going to build an AR pistol that will live in my trunk. My priorities are reliability then accuracy (I'm shooting for 4 MOA or better). As far as reliability, is there a combination of barrel length and gas system that will give the best reliability? DD uses a 10.3" barrel with a carbine length gas on their MK 18, I was planning on building off that formula, does that make sense? Thoughts on Aero Precision for the upper and lower? Generally, I'm mechanically competent with most things are there any gotcha's when assembling?

Thanks in advance!

Are you getting a complete Aero upper or building one? We are talking 5.56, correct?

I'd be building one. I'm looking at Ballistic Advantage for the barrel and BCG. Yes, 5.56.

The BA barrels are great. I highly recommend the Hanson profile ones. Great shooters and i have had no issues with them.

Reactions: tna9001
I'd be building one. I'm looking at Ballistic Advantage for the barrel and BCG. Yes, 5.56.
Aero owns BA.
Primary arms ALWAYS has sales for everything you need at about a third to half off if you watch the sales.

I'm doing a similar build in 300 blackout, I'm going with pistol length gas system, and a 10"barrel or so.
I 2nd ballistic advantage for the barrel they make good stuff

Since your car is going to be carrying it I would look a the 12.3 inch barrel. Should give you more velocity and still come under the 26" overall length for a AR pistol. Carbine gas. Aero is good to go so is their barrel co. BA. What sights are you going to use?

Sionics has 2 “blem” pistol lowers for $259. I run their 11.5” rgp barrel on a carbine lower and it’s great. Their np3 bcg is excellent as well.

Since your car is going to be carrying it I would look a the 12.3 inch barrel. Should give you more velocity and still come under the 26" overall length for a AR pistol. Carbine gas. Aero is good to go so is their barrel co. BA. What sights are you going to use?
I'm going to put an MRO on it and the Magpul mbus.

It's 26" from the end of the barrel (not the muzzle device) to the end of the receiver extension, right?

As far as I know that is correct on the length. And do NOT put a grip on the handguard. Have you got your brace picked out?

I working on build just like your talking about. I used Aero upper and lower. Roscoe Manufacturing barrel (10.5") BCG and gas block. Geissele hand guard. SBA3 brace
Still need a charging handle and muzzle device.

Lots of options.

There is a nice 10.5” upper with an FN barrel and Geissele rail on PSA now.
Not cheap, but darn nice.

The LAW can be had for a great bargain if you watch here or a Brownells sale.

Look into the SBA3 Split Fix from 3 wisemen. Enhances the brace for bracing sake.

Reactions: tna9001