• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

input on a .338 Lapua rifle?

The_Sandman

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2014
Grand Forks, North Dakota
I'm new here and I've used the search engine, but would like some input from .338 owners on good factory rifles.

I'm relatively new to shooting long range, and I'm currently shooting a SIG SSG3000, but i would like to step up to a .338 Lapua. Currently I'm looking into McMillan, Sako, Accuracy International, and Desert Tech. They all appear to be exceptional rifles, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Will you be competing with this rifle? Some ranges won't allow 338s on their steel targets... You may have already considered this but if not food for thought.

Then I would agree with strike33 if budget isn't an issue and you don't have certain specs you need to meet then AI AXMC or AI PSR would be a great choice.

Last edited:
I dont own an AI, unable to speak of them, but do own a DT. LOVE the rifle! The trigger is FLAWLESS and as crisp as is gets! The ability and ease of changing calibers is extreamly easy with no lose of zero what so ever! If I did have a complaint, the biggest it would be is the lack of a ten rnd mag. Other than that, you can't go wrong.

Course, you wouldnt go wrong with any of the choices provided. IMO, before you make ANY feduciary decision, get behind each of them and let your comfort and groupings decide!!!!

Just my $0.02.

I'm currently leaning towards the AXMC, I've read a lot about AI, Sako, and Desert Tech. AI seems to be the best of those three.

I've heard good things about the McMillan rifles also, but they're harder to come by and I don't know anybody who owns one. Anyone have input on their guns?

I dont own an AI, unable to speak of them, but do own a DT. LOVE the rifle! The trigger is FLAWLESS and as crisp as is gets! The ability and ease of changing calibers is extreamly easy with no lose of zero what so ever! If I did have a complaint, the biggest it would be is the lack of a ten rnd mag. Other than that, you can't go wrong.

Course, you wouldnt go wrong with any of the choices provided. IMO, before you make ANY feduciary decision, get behind each of them and let your comfort and groupings decide!!!!

Just my $0.02.

While I was RSOing I was able to shoot a gentlemans 6.5cr DT and I agree the trigger was amazingly good.... Very surprising from a bullpup platform. His rifle was very accurate and very compact even with the suppressor on. Didn't get to shoot it with the 338 barrel though....

A CheyTac in .375 would be awesome to have, but like I said I'm newer to shooting long range and just looking to step up from a .308 also I'm in college so I don't have an infinite budget to work with here, just most of these guns are within what I'm willing to spend (I can go up to ~$7500-$8000 on the rifle before optics)

For the money I think DT would be hard to beat. Onthefly how far have you shot that rifle at?

I have rung steel at 942 yrds in the pouring rain so far. The platform is capable of going much further. Of course as with any sport, 80% of the game lies with the player. That being said, I find the rifle as being very forgiving as well.

I encourage you to find somebody closer to you that might have one to shoot! Western North Carolina is a bit far of a drive, but I'd let you shoot mine anytime!

Last edited:
I have a DTA in a .338 Norma Magnum AI. Can't beat it. It's short and sweet. Then you have a chassis that can be shared with any other caliber you dream of

My input would be to look at other calibers. There is always someone looking to shoot the big 338, then they figure out its too much rifle, too expensive to shoot and just not that much fun when the new wears off. I would look into either the 300wm or if you want a 338 look at the edge, cheaper to shoot and pretty much identical ballistics. Rws has a new build in the classifieds right now for a great price if you must have the 338.

I have the SRS A1, not the covert. The 338lm is a bit pricey to shoot if youre purchasing factory ammo all the time. However, you can offset alot of that cost by reloading your own cartridges. You have the $$$, buy once - cry once! If at a later time you do get tired of the 338, Mark at Short Action Customs can build what ever caliber barrel you desire! Just swap barrels, again one of the benefits of the DT.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with the 338 lapua, I have one built by AO sure the ammo is high but I bet you knew that.When I hear people say the lapua is to much rifle usually Iam thinking they don't own one...The thing is freakin awesome , I say go for it.iam Goin 375 next ...I just like big fire power, so what....but I also reload ...might want to take that up or student loans isn't going to be the only thing busting the old budget.

My suggestion is simple determine the action ie stiller tac 338, bat etc, decide if it needs to be a repeater (if so take a hard look at the 338 norma, it will fit in the mag a whole lot better with heavy bullets,get a krieger or bartlein barrel ordered and then get a mcmillan or manners stock and a decent bottom metal on order, send everything to LRI and you won't be sorry :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at the Barret MRAD. Multi calibre platform, as accurate as anything and not as common as AI... I love it.

If you want to save some money and still get an AI but don't need the ability to swap to a smaller caliber, Mile High is selling the standard AX in 338 for $4500. Top it with an S&B and buy ammo or reloading components with the money saved.

Desert Tech is the king of 338's in my opinion. They are more forgiving, as a result of the 6" of supported barrel, balance better, and are nearly a foot shorter than any other traditional rifle.

We have factory conversions or custom conversions available. Give me a call! I'd love to discuss options with you. I've spent quite a bit of time with a lot of 338's... and the DTA is the only one I still own.

IMG_7789.jpg

I have both a DTA SRS A1 and new AI AXMC 308. Like both and many advantages to DTA bullpup design. The action on the AI and great 2 stage trigger can't be beat. Shoot the 338LM in my DTA regularly, but nice to switch to 260 Rem and not be pounded to death and still gets you easily to 1200-1400 yards consistently. For the AI you would need the long action AXMC 338. 308 conversion should be available for this in the future. If you only want to shoot 338LM get the MacMillan or RWS rifles mentioned above. Agree that 375 ChevyTac seems to have many advantages over the 338 for ELR shooting. Most people usually tire of the 338-50 cal quickly and switch to 6-7mm options for most of their shooting. Good luck.

I would like to get a 338 LM but cant see spending 4$ per round. If they were like 2$ per rd i could maybe justify it. And i just dont have the time to hand load precision rounds.

My input would be to look at other calibers. There is always someone looking to shoot the big 338, then they figure out its too much rifle, too expensive to shoot and just not that much fun when the new wears off. I would look into either the 300wm or if you want a 338 look at the edge, cheaper to shoot and pretty much identical ballistics. Rws has a new build in the classifieds right now for a great price if you must have the 338.

Having owned a 338LM myself I can somewhat agree with this. That being said, if the OP goes with the DT he will have the option to very easily swap calibers when he gets sick of the big 338, and still have the 338 for when he needs to punch holes in armor at 30,000 meters or if he decides to take a guided blue whale hunt. Another advantage to the DT in larger calibers, is that he would be able to run a longer barrel and get all the good stuff out of the 338 without having a gigantic rifle. OP, I myself have never owned a DT, however a few range buds have them and I have used one for a good majority of a range trip and it is a very accurate platform, I enjoyed the rifle very much. FWIW, the guys who had them really had a lot of good to say about them.

Look at the Barret MRAD. Multi calibre platform, as accurate as anything and not as common as AI... I love it.

ill second this as an option...i shot the AI PSR and MRAD side by side in 338...then i bought the MRAD...felt better for me all the way around...just as accurate as any AI ive been around

You should try and get behind a DTA before you make up your mind. They are great and handy if you are doing anything besides prone single position shooting.

There sure are lots of guys looking to trade me MRAD's for DTA SRS-A1's lately. Just sayin. ;)
I sold my MRAD after 18 months and over 3000 rounds in January 2013 and bought 2 DTA SRS A1s with with 260, 308 and 338LM conversions and began enjoying LR shooting a lot more, especially when TBAC suppressors were added to all my barrels. Ordered the AI AXMC in 260 & 308 after Shot this year and have enjoyed it so much decided to sell one of my DTAs and pick up the new AI AT in 260 and 308, which should be completed by Dave at Mile High in the next week or two. I feel I'm set now for years for both my son and I with the DTA SRS A1 with a S&B 3-20X with MSR, AI AT with S&B 5-25X DT with MSR and AI AXMC 308 with the new Tangent Theta 525P with Gen 2 XR reticle. Saved a March F 3-24X FML 1 reticle for spare scope, in case one of my scopes happens to go "down", but have never had any scope give me issues and I shoot 2-3X per week! No safe queens in this house. The 260 Rem 26" conversions with 1:8 twist gets me accurately out to 1200-1400 yards with hand loads! What's not to love? Can shoot suppressed comfortably all day long suppressed. Good luck.

Best information on LR shooting from Lowlight, Orkan and RMW. Mile High and Euro Optic also very helpful in procuring the necessary equipment and have never been steered wrong. Love the DTA and Spuhr scope mounts which are both functional and bullet proof.

Budget won't be an issue

I did not see any mention of custom in my quick skim through thread. JamieD build one hell of a rig. I CANNOT say anything bad about him or his work.

The two he built me are absolute TAC DRIVERS.

He builds every rig as if for himself.

sent via Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have been running a DTA SRS for a quite a while. It is a great platform. Recently, I began stocking and selling AI rifles. I have been blown away by the fit and finish of the AI rifles, especially the AXMC.

If I was to purchase a .338 LM rifle with no limits on funds and was only going to shoot it primarily in prone, I would go with the AXMC. The action is smoother, the mag has double the capacity of the SRS, it is finished better, it is slightly heavier and with a little more weight out front is more comfortable to shoot longer strings in .338 LM than the DTA.

If you are looking for a compact .338LM, that will see some firing from unsupported positions, I would go with the SRS. The SRS will save you some $ too. Also, right now if you order an SRS, I can get you a free fitted hard case ($450 value) while supplies last.

Both the SRS and AI AXMC rifles are phenomenal rifles and will hold their value much better than a custom built rifle. Please feel free to contact me anytime to discuss the differences between the two rifles.

Bet that 223 is sweet to shoot.

Yes, she sure is sweet. She takes out gallons of water at 1000 yards. Extremely accurate from cold bore to first shot after cleaning.

JamieD's precision work just leaves me speechless.

sent via Tapatalk