• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Input on AI Chassis for my Rem. 700 5R

JIF

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2013
Land of Oz
I am going to pull the trigger and upgrade a the stock and have settled in on AI. I don't need a folding stock so I am looking at the basic 1.5 thumbhole or pisto grip (AT). I am diving into this pond blind, please share your thoughts and especially experiences. There is no wrong answer here, I just want a good exchange to ponder berore the debit card gets excercised :)
If there are other recs let me know. I am on the list for the new KRG for another build. I want something that is drop-in and has improved ergonomics.

Thanks in advance my friends,
Jeff

My suggestion is to get the folder. The first time you clean and lose skin to the butt spacers you will wish you had. I would also wait for the AT for upgrades it adds. With the AT you can use pistol grip skins or thumbhole.

the folder does make cleaning A LOT easier. if you like pistol grips take a look at the Ashbury saber-forsst, picked up one for my trg and it is the rifle i grab for every time now. i several AICS and some other stuff as well but APO is the cats ass.

Get the folder! The thumbhole/pistol grip really doesn't matter much because skins are cheap and can be had either way... But you will want the folder for sure.

Great feedback and thank all of you so much. sometimes trying to save a few bucks when you go out and blow many bucks on dinner, drinks and "courting" your slumpbuster puts it into perspective. great advice so far, thanks HIDE.....this action and barrel is a real shooter and I want to do this right.

Thanks my friends,
Jeff

I have the 1.5 and love it. I haven't had the issue with butt spacers that other people are mentioning but the stock fit me perfect out of the box so I may just be one of the lucky ones.

If you do wind up getting a AI .5 pick up a few shaft collars for the cheek piece. Everything you have to clean your gun you have to remove the cheekpiece and then you wind you putting it in a different spot. Some guys just mark the legs but i like the positive stop

Last edited: