• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Input on build: gunsmith, accessories

knifecoop

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2007
Bakersfield
Greetings,
I have narrowed down my build/specs
1. Barreled action either 22" or 24" Howa 1500 standard
2. Caliber 22-250.
3. Stock MCS-3 coyote tan.
4. Bolt mod
5. True action, check head space, cut and re-crown barrel, tune trigger,check lugs and jewell bolt
6. Coating either Ion Bond or Black-T birdsong...maybe duracoat
7. One piece 20 moa rail from Howa
Now for the questions..
What is the taper for the standard 22" and 24" barrel? If I am going to get it coated should I get the stainless or blued I believe Ion Bond requires that the action be prepped(blueing removed) before shipped is there a difference between the two other then one is blued and the other is not and price. Should I order the blued and then remove it and could someone recommend a blueing remover...Does anyone know if there are any other options for the base other then the legacy sport ? Could anyone recommend a reasonably priced gunsmith to true the action, check head space, cut and re-crown barrel, tune trigger, check lugs and jewell bolt? I also want to have a bolt mod done also looking for someone to that..I am going to have manners do all the stock work once the barreled action is ready. I am inspired by the light weight Mcmillian TACTICAL HUNTER ...so that is what I am shooting for on a budget...Any input would be great....
Thanks
Kris

Re: Input on build: gunsmith, accessories

That's how I did it Exhogflyer and couldn't be happier! That was also in the days when LTM was knocking out some great finishes....shame his operation went tits up and more than a few members got burned in the process...

Mine is a trued & bluprinted M700P w/Rock Sendero profile barrel @ 24", Badger M5 BM, FTE Brake, recoil lug, rings & base, and bolt handle mod.... All sitting in a MCS T1 finished to perfection by LTM....

Does anyone know what the barrel contour/taper is of the stock standard and heavy barreled Howa 1500 in 22-250? and does anyone have some pics of the manners mcs 3?
Thanks

Question on contour found but still looking for some standard barrel pics in a mcs 3...

Hi Kris,
I got my howa 22-250 stainless sporter tuned from Pete Lincoln at Roedale. Trigger job, recrowned, headspace checked. I stuck it into our PSE stock and she shot very well.
Go with the stainless, it's better.
Just to show the difference between a sporter and varmint barrel.
This stock was made to comfortably take a varmint barrel with a sporter stuck in.
plentyroom.jpg

DSCN1435.jpg

Typical 5 shot group of my 22-250. 36gr varget 52gr BTHP Nos custom match. Others shot better groups with her, I'm not a target shooter.
DSCN1442.jpg

edi