• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

input on Remington 700 project?

spartan5538

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2022
Fort Bragg, NC
I recently compiled a list of components for a .300 Win Mag I want to build in Remington 700 pattern.
The goal was to find components that are high quality and light-weight.
The idea is to build a long range rifle ideal for both hunting and precision shooting.
Ideally this project will be taking place over a period of 1-2 years, not only based on availability of products, but also as a factor of cost.
I am new to the Precision shooting world, so any input would be much appreciated.

Components:
-Action: Falkor Defense 7Even Long action ($1,400) (35.36oz)
-Barrel: Christensen Arms Remington 700 Carbon Fiber 26" (.300 WM) ($850) (2lbs 15oz)
-Scope: Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56 M1C3 FFP PR2-MOA ($2,100) (30oz)
-Chassis: Kinetic Research Group (KRG) Whiskey-3 Chassis ($940) (3lbs 13oz)
-Trigger: Geissele Super 700 ($250) (weight?)
-Scope Rings: Leupold Back Country cross-slot 35mm high rings ($120) (3.6oz)

Overall cost at MSRP: ~$5,700 Overall weight: 11lbs

I’ll definitely check out those other Barrels. I hadn’t considered the recoil affecting the rings in that way, I’ll look further.
Thanks for the input!

What do you want the rifle to be better at? Precision shooting or hunting?

What kind of hunting will you be doing? Sitting in a blind? Shooting from a truck? Mild walks? Extensive and intensive hikes over multiple days and climbing up mountains?

What makes a good hunting rifle doesn't make a good precision rifle, and vice versa. There certainly is competing objectives between the two worlds. Understanding which of the two is the main focus (hunting or precision shooting) will help steer the conversation in the right direction to give you the feedback you need.

What do you want the rifle to be better at? Precision shooting or hunting?

What kind of hunting will you be doing? Sitting in a blind? Shooting from a truck? Mild walks? Extensive and intensive hikes over multiple days and climbing up mountains?

What makes a good hunting rifle doesn't make a good precision rifle, and vice versa. There certainly is competing objectives between the two worlds. Understanding which of the two is the main focus (hunting or precision shooting) will help steer the conversation in the right direction to give you the feedback you need.
The focus would primarily be hunting, multi-day trips over long stretches of open, mountainous terrain.

Reactions: kthomas
Since this is primarily a hunting gun, here are some thoughts on how to lighten up the rifle a bit:

- Defiance Anti-X action ($1400) (23 ozs)
- Leupold Mk5HD 3.6-18x44 ($1900) (26 ozs)
- ARC M10 Rings ($175) (6 ozs)
- Manners Long Range Hunter Stock (MCS-LRH) (~$1,100) (33 ozs)

These proposed changes will result in a 28 oz (1.75 lb) weight reduction, with no real change in price.

I’d go with an impact or bighorn action so you can get proof prefits in 300wm for the same price as the Christensen barrel. Proof and Bartlein are several steps above Christensen in quality. I’d also check out the KRG X-ray to save you some weight on the chassis

Since this is primarily a hunting gun, here are some thoughts on how to lighten up the rifle a bit:

- Defiance Anti-X action ($1400) (23 ozs)
- Leupold Mk5HD 3.6-18x44 ($1900) (26 ozs)
- ARC M10 Rings ($175) (6 ozs)
- Manners Long Range Hunter Stock (MCS-LRH) (~$1,100) (33 ozs)

These proposed changes will result in a 28 oz (1.75 lb) weight reduction, with no real change in price.

Add some weight and money for bottom metal here. But, definitely a better direction for a primarily hunting rig.

Add some weight and money for bottom metal here. But, definitely a better direction for a primarily hunting rig.

Good catch.

For some reason I thought the dbm was included in the price and weight I listed. I stand corrected.

All good, I wasn't nit picking. Just making sure the OP sees what's going on with each option.

Important catch.

Not having a DBM would hinder the functionality of the rifle :p

Looks like an M5 Bottom metal (which that stock uses) would be about $180+ and an additional lb of weight.

I would be careful with Proof Research Barrels. They have had a lot of quality issues lately. I am working through a build right now with a Proof and I had to pull it off and get a replacement due to quality issues from the factory. I'll give Proof credit that they took care of the warranty and replaced it, but still adds a lot of time onto the build.

My gunsmith also said that this is the 2nd Proof barrel in the last month having issues. He is no longer providing a 1/2MOA guarantee on their barrels.

Of course, when you get a good Proof barrel, they are shooters and a lot of guys never have issues. It just seems that there has been some quality concerns lately.

I would recommend going Bartlein if you have the extra money. May cause less headache in the end.