• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Input on Savage 110 stock

tenny1981

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2012
Albuquerque,nm
I have a Savage 110 FCP HS Precision and recently got to where I am hitting 560yds with every trigger pull. However, the cheek weld leaves alot to be desired on the HS stock.

Using neoprene I have raised the weld up, but ive noticed its really easy to change the sight picture because of the softness of the material. Thus im now looking at stock options.

Ive researched the Klydex option and it just seems like a bandaid to the issue, much like the neoprene.
I have seen several recomendations by people for Stockade stocks. I like the option of finishing it myself, so that is a plus. while I know MCM is a deffinate upgrade, would you consider the stockade PDS/Tactical with adjustabe cheek an upgrade to the HS precision?
Another option is sending the HS to StockDoc and have him install a KWM....

Any input would be greatly appreciated....

Re: Input on Savage 110 stock

In your case, it would be an upgrade. Stockade is on par with H-S in my book, and since you want a solid adjustable cheek and like to finish yourself, the Stockade would be a great option. The money saver with an adjustable cheek would put you at $410, which I think is your best and cheapest option.

I have Karsten's cheek piece, and it is rock solid; definitely not a "band aid".

I second the Karsten style adjustable cheek piece. I have them on 4 guns, but I make my own out of kydex.

I have been behind alot of stocks including HS Prec and currently have a McMillan A-3 on one of my rifles and really like the ergonomics. Get behind every stock that you can and you will have a much better idea of what works for you.

Is you 110 a .300WM or .338 LM?

Also look at Manners. Every now and then they will have savage stock on their ready to ship page.

Thanks for the all input guys...

Im quite a noob and have been lurking for sometime, just absorbing all the information I can.
I dont really like the look Karsten style adjustable cheek piece and I think the knobs would be more of a PITA, that being said i have yet to see one installed in person. So until I do so cant really call it a bandaid.

Ive been behind the Bell and Carlson tactical stock and loved the feel of it, but im not seeing B & C offering it in LA. Ive been really looking hard at Manners and Stockade pieces, would love to get behind one.

The HS is a awesome stock, but it needs a adjustabel cheek. Ive also been thinking hard about having the KWM installed into it. This would reduce cost plus wait time.

My 110 FCP HS is in .300 WM. looked hard and long at the 338 but in reality there are so few places to shoot the distance those are able to achieve, plus ammo cost even when reloading made me go with the 300.

I had a Choate Tactical on my LA Savage with a Karsten on it and thought it was pretty nice. It felt very solid to me. I've since upgraded to a MCM A5 fully adjustable which I love. I would "band-aid" your current stock until you can get what you really want be it Manners, McMillan, or Stockade....