• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Input on "short range" drills for precision rifles

G

Given the wet/windy conditions provided by an Illinois spring and the logistics of my long-range setup, I often find myself limited to shooting inside 150 years or so.

I have done the 3/8" dot drill quite a few times. I plink empty .556 brass at 100 when the dots get boring. And other than that, I generally use this time to work on my sling-aided shooting.

Anyone have some fun and challenging drills to do inside of 150 that isn't just hitting smaller targets?

Re: Input on "short range" drills for precision rifles

Beside what you're doing, which is excellent, try dry-firing from improvised positions, with the rifle supported in the front at heights ranging from, say, 16 inches to 48 inches.

The ability to accurately hit 2 MOA targets while shooting like that is a valuable skill for a tactical marksman.

From standing, go prone and engage a single 1" dot in 5 seconds. Then, like the instructions on the shampoo bottle say, Repeat.

When that gets boring, do it in 8 seconds from the support side.

Try 5 shots sitting, followed by 5 shots kneeling, in one and a half minutes on a 3" Shoot & See dot at 150. First practice dry your transitions from sitting to kneeling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a target out there called the Black Death Challenge which is quite entertaining (if your watching).

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/atta...mp;d=1225361294

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Now THAT's what i'm talking about!

The Black Death Target is nice, it's KYL but without the limitations, just going to the next level for score. It's a go to competition drill the only difference is, you are gambling on the points during a match because if you miss you lose everything

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would move from Illinois....... </div></div>

You did!

I like to switch between multiple targets (requirng an entire postion shift, not just from one dot to another on an 8x11 sheet of paper(you will literally need to pick up the rifle and shift)), and if you have the capability to have a mover on report or hit that makes it all the more interesting. Basic name of the game..stress fire.