• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Input on TT scopes

fredjake1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2009
Looking for info on TT scopes. All input appreciated. Thankyou

Pretty much the best scope you can buy other then a 3.5-26 Henny. Are they worth the money in the end? Thats up to you to decide. Other scopes half the cost can bring 90% of what the TT does to the table so again, it really just comes down to your financial situation.

Last edited:
Lurked, reviewed every scope thread on this forum on TT,,,believed (was convinced)it was the holy grail of scopes..have all the high end ones already, but
Finally bought one, and am totally pleased ..esp like the tactile clicks.

THE best turrets on the market, Period.... If you like the positive feel of the turrets, the TT has that nailed.. Glass is great, eye box is the best I've used and resolves really good.. The only thing holding this optic back ever so slightly is the lack of reticles..

Absolutely phenomenal scopes. As to whether they’re worth the money, like others have said, that’s on you.

Value aside, yes... best scope I've ever tried. I have two of them. And I've compared hand-in-hand to all the other top tier scopes out there. They will all get the job done of course. But the TT makes my pants tight.

The only place I have been able to look through them and play with the turrets is at the Shot Show, which isn't the best place to evaluate a high end scope. I was on a mission for a new scope and stopped at Schmidt & Bender, Nightforce, Steiner, Vortex and Kahles. I would have gotten a TT, but their reticles didn't fit my needs.

Everything is fine except reticles. Lack of reticles. The ER reticle is good (badly that it’’s in MOA only) but Gen II is horrible.

I have played with a couple and really liked them. I have personally not yet bought one because
1. Cost - could almost buy two used high end scopes for price of a TT.
2. Reticle- The gen iixr for me is not ideal.
3. Still relatively new company.

The guys who have them that I have talked to all love them and have zero regrets about buying. You just don't see guys who actually have them complaining about anything.

I have played with a couple and really liked them. I have personally not yet bought one because
1. Cost - could almost buy two used high end scopes for price of a TT.
2. Reticle- The gen iixr for me is not ideal.
3. Still relatively new company.

The guys who have them that I have talked to all love them and have zero regrets about buying. You just don't see guys who actually have them complaining about anything.

It's a scope that just works. You don't have to think about it. You don't worry about it. You can just focus on shooting and forget about dicking around with your scope. So in that regard, it's the best thing out there for me at least. Other scopes I've used, I've had to actually pay attention to it to adjust it or mess with this or that. The TT... it's not even there. Which is great.

I been saving for a TT 315m,Im about a month away from buying it.I am pumped up about getting this scope.I been researching this scope for about a year and have made my choice.

I been saving for a TT 315m,Im about a month away from buying it.I am pumped up about getting this scope.I been researching this scope for about a year and have made my choice.

I am seriously considering the same optic myself, I already have the 525P and it's a great optic. I expect the 315M to be nothing less..

I think TT are the best overall precision scopes on the market right now if the ones I have seen. TT315M in particular is my favorite. Do keep in mind that I like Gen 2 XR reticle.

ILya

I now own 6 of them. The best that you can buy! No regrets.

Moose.. I sent you a PM. I've got a 315M I'm looking to offload due to the rifle it's on being sold.
let me know if you didn't get it.

Hear nothing but good about 'em, I'd love to have one but they are costly and currently USO's make up the bulk of my precision optics.

Look at the tracking sticky on here for the evaluation on 'em. I think it was one of the best ones he tested IIRC. Looks well thought out too. When I get my McMillan .338 this'll be one of the scopes I definitely will consider for it along with S&B. It's a newer optic but turning out to be an ultra-premier optic. Nobody with one says they suck, that's for sure and most all say it's worth the price.

I had a premier MTC 5-25 and the thing was fantastic, I think I used it so much I wore down the erector internals. From what I understand the Turrets are mechanically improved now. The quick zero feature was great and makes things a breeze. That said, for more than $1500 or even $2000 less you can now get a new SnB or Kahles which are in the same league. Personally I think TT is overpriced. Even though I have some high end shit now the more I shoot the more I realize the less high end equipment I need.

I’ve had my TT525P for 5-6 months, it sits on a Remington 700 LR in 300wm, in an AI legacy chassis. NF rings, larue base.

hands down the best turrets. Period. There is no comparison. Glass is top notch, parallax is very forgiving, and the magnification ring is very smooth. Illumination is nice, and it’s a beauty to get behind.

i sent mine back because the elevation turret line was off by less than 1/16th of an inch, but it bothered me. TT took care of me.

the only complaints I have for this scope are

1. the reticle options. They NEED to come up with new reticles. It’s the biggest reason people buy something else. While the Gen2 XR is a good reticle, it’s definitely dated. If/when they come out with more modern reticles, I’ll probably have mine swapped.
2. I don’t know if it’s just because the turrets are large, or I’ve been hard on this particular gun, but I’ve seen some anodizing wear off of some of the edges of the turrets, it’s minor, just kind of surprising as I don’t think I’ve been that hard on the scope.

overall I would definitely buy this scope again, and the turrets far outweigh the dated reticle for me. I’m still extremely pleased with this scope.

How would the 315m be for a hunting rifle where clarity, contrast and low light performance is priority over tracking and turrets?

Im always looking for the best and brightest hunting scope, currently running a z8i 2.3-18 and a S&B Polar t96 4-16...I keep hearing about how good the TT's are, would the 315 be a step up?

How would the 315m be for a hunting rifle where clarity, contrast and low light performance is priority over tracking and turrets?

Im always looking for the best and brightest hunting scope, currently running a z8i 2.3-18 and a S&B Polar t96 4-16...I keep hearing about how good the TT's are, would the 315 be a step up?

I own all three of the scopes you referenced and the glass in the TT is every bit the equal of both the Z8i and Polar. At least to my eyes.

Frankly, the first time I took my 315M out hunting I couldn't believe just how good it was at low light. But then it should be for it's price. I don't know where TT sources it's glass but wherever it comes from it's outstanding.

I own all three of the scopes you referenced and the glass in the TT is every bit the equal of both the Z8i and Polar. At least to my eyes.

Frankly, the first time I took my 315M out hunting I couldn't believe just how good it was at low light. But then it should be for it's price. I don't know where TT sources it's glass but wherever it comes from it's outstanding.

Thanks for the info, that's definitely good to hear. I went back and forth for a solid month between ordering the z8i and the TT 315M, decided on the Swaro for now...but I think I know what my next purchase will be.

My next scope will be the TT315M. I own a Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50, along with a Premier Heritage 5-25, a S&B PMII 5-25×56, a S&B PMII 3-20×50, and a Kahles K624i Gen 3, and the Premiers are, to my eyes, better and brighter glass than my S&Bs. The TTs are supposed to be even better.

I did tracking tests on my TT 2-25 and found an error of about 1/10th of 1%. I tested 2 ATACRs and they had 1.5% errors. During that test, I learned that the ATACR has poor glass clarity on the edges (when I was using the entire span of the verticle reticle to compare to a plumb line). Not so with TT, that glass is like Swaro glass, perfect edge to edge clarity.

Agree with the turrets, the clicks are awesome.

However, I don't dare use the toolless re-zero. Every time I have, I've gotten lost and could never figure out my zero again without fully rezeroing the gun (DT SRS with 4 barrels). Could be me but I found it entirely counterintiutive.

I did tracking tests on my TT 2-25 and found an error of about 1/10th of 1%. I tested 2 ATACRs and they had 1.5% errors. During that test, I learned that the ATACR has poor glass clarity on the edges (when I was using the entire span of the verticle reticle to compare to a plumb line). Not so with TT, that glass is like Swaro glass, perfect edge to edge clarity.

Agree with the turrets, the clicks are awesome.

However, I don't dare use the toolless re-zero. Every time I have, I've gotten lost and could never figure out my zero again without fully rezeroing the gun (DT SRS with 4 barrels). Could be me but I found it entirely counterintiutive.

Genuinely curious.. you have a measurement device/capability to measure error to that degree (.001)? That is essentially 4 thou of an inch at 100 yds over a full MIL (10 clicks).

Genuinely curious.. you have a measurement device/capability to measure error to that degree (.001)? That is essentially 4 thou of an inch at 100 yds over a full MIL (10 clicks).

...but lack the ability to set the tool-less knobs??

I use a Leica Disto D2 laser which is accurate to within 1/32 of an inch to measure distance to target, so negligible variability there.

I can resolve on my 96" ruler to about 1/4 of 1 inch visually on high power.

I use the Targets USA scope tracking device weighted with a 26# lead brick. So the apparatus weighs over 50# and does not move.

I repeat the measurement over and over and find results that vary by about .001 or 1/10th of 1%

If I run up 90 MOA @ 100 yards, I should be at 94.23"

Let's say I see 94.00 on the ruler. 94/94.23=.997558 If I had measured to 94.25, it would be 94.25/94.23=1.0002122

1.0002-.997558= .0026

So, you are correct. I can only resolve to about 1/4 of 1% rather than 1/10th of 1%

But when I run repeated measurements (I've done it over 10 times on this TT scope, while identifying and eliminating sources of error) I get to within 1/10th of 1% in my result

It was the accumulation of this equipment and doing it over and over that allowed me to eliminate the error.

If I back up further, I could improve resolution by magnification of any error, but my resolution on my ruler would decrease. So I think I"m at a good compromise.

This was no easy process. It is very difficult to get repeated and repeatable measurements. I have spent several months repeating the measurements and modifying the equipment and procedures to make it a reliable procedure.

TRASOL allows me to enter a click value to the .001 place, so I'm happy.

Attachments

• IMG_1453.JPG
    IMG_1453.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reading instructions is fundamental.......for someone people anyway

LOL

Both of you showed up to this thread where TT owners and prospective owners are trying to share information about these scopes,

and all you can post is snide commentary without any mention of whether you have experience setting the TT tooless re-zero knobs?

you may be correct, I'm a complete dumbass. But the assertion would be a lot more credible if you told of your own experience with the TT scope in the field.

Yes, you are correct, see above.

Your mistake is thinking I'm measuring 1 MRAD at a time. I dial up 27 MRAD which magnifies that small error to something I can indeed measure with great precision.

Your mistake is thinking I'm measuring 1 MRAD at a time. I dial up 27 MRAD which magnifies that small error to something I can indeed measure with great precision.

Wow man, you take the tracking test to a whole new level... Just curious which other high end optics you've tested and how the results were for each..

Thanks for the explanation.. I actually thought if that once I posted (increasing displacement would magnify the error). Sounds like your scope is damn-near perfect with regard to tracking.. juuuust outide the error of measurement at least.

where can a guy get one of those target USA tracking tools?

Thanks for the explanation.. I actually thought if that once I posted (increasing displacement would magnify the error). Sounds like your scope is damn-near perfect with regard to tracking.. juuuust outide the error of measurement at least.

where can a guy get one of those target USA tracking tools?

Well, honestly, I'd make one by affixing a pic rail to a board (as in the link at the end of this post) and then use bar clamps to affix that board securely to an immobile bench.

The Targets USA (http://www.targetsusa.com/scope-tools.html) thing is awesome, but it's $250 and I just think that's about $150 too much for what it is. If you're not going to use it extensively like HMFIC of this shit (Frank) it's hard to justify $250. Indeed I have some buyer's remorse, but hey what's done is done. I'll help other locals track theirs.

You can probably skip the Disto D2 if you use a 100 yard surveyor's tape and it's straight line to target and taught.

In terms of other scopes I've tested, only 2 NF ATACR with this level of rigor, and both were off by ~ 1.5% That's a lot but if you measure it, you can compensate for it in the ballistic solver.

Other NF I did years ago also seemed to have error in the 1-2% range, but I now realize my prior testing had too much error in it to be reliable.

The PRB guy did this test and did it well EXCEPT he did not run the scopes high enough through the entire elevation range (stopped at 20 MRAD) AND he mistakenly measured from half the distance from the muzzle and the objective (should measure from the turrets for obvious reasons). Thus his results have about 12" or 0.33" error built in. So his results are useless. He also makes a big deal about having target at 90 degrees to earth in the direction of the scope, which is not that important. If you have a couple degrees lean of the target towards or away from the scope, it makes a negligible fraction of an inch in distance in the measurements. Within 4 inches will reduce errors to on the order of 0.1%.

In short, I think he's onto the right concepts but is still making some logical errors in their employment.

His test is here: http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/08/13/tactical-scopes-mechanical-performance-part-1/

I want to pull the trigger on one of these, but the reticle has me concerned. I wish I could look through them.

I think the reticle size is fine on my 525P, I also have the gen2 XR reticle.. These optics really are high quality, and that goes hand in hand with its price tag. I still think if they ever wake up and adopt a new line of reticles such as the MR4, that it would make them the clear #1 option..

Both of you showed up to this thread where TT owners and prospective owners are trying to share information about these scopes,

and all you can post is snide commentary without any mention of whether you have experience setting the TT tooless re-zero knobs?

you may be correct, I'm a complete dumbass. But the assertion would be a lot more credible if you told of your own experience with the TT scope in the field.

I have no problems with the tool-less zero. It's very easy. Takes all of 10 seconds to use. When you buy the scope new, it is mechanically centered. When you zero the scope, just write down in your data book the zero point before you re-zero. Then you'll know where you are. For example, the scope comes set to 15 Mil. I have a 20 MOA rail, so that means I set the elevation to 9.2 MIL to keep it "centered" on the 20 MOA rail. I then zero and found I only had to adjust down 0.2 MIL to 9.0 MIL. So 9.0 MIL is my zero. I write that all down. I then zero the scope.

Question: If you have trouble getting lost when you zero the TT, why doesn't that happen with any other scope? When you zero any scope, you lose track of where it is in relation to the overall clicks. Unless you write it down. With any scope. Not just TT. So what is so confusing about the Tool-less zero? It is literally just a slip scale.

Another way to do it is to just dial the elevation turret all the way, see where it stops, then subtract that number form the total clicks. That will tell you where it's zeroed. For example, if you can dial up to 20.8 MIL, and the scope has 30 total MIL, that means your zero is at 9.2 MIL...

Or are you getting lost when you actually go to zero the turret cap? Like you loosen the top plate and then go to turn the turret and all of sudden you forgot where you were? If that's the case, then why does it matter where you were? Just turn it to zero. You know where zero is because that's where you need to go anyway. Maybe I just don't understand what your actual problem with it is.

Last edited: