• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Insert threading tool

Swampkat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2006
Louisiana
What method is everyone using to center insert threading tools on the manual lathe? Center gage and what other methods?

Re: Insert threading tool

If your using an Aloris TP, indicate the toolholder parallel to the cross slide. If, not a fishtail/centergage will work.

for vertical centerline, I use Cal 50's way or WNroscoe's way depending on if I have a scale in reach.

You can use a piece of scrap material and face it off with the threading too set on an offset angle to set the CL.

Slightly below center eyeballed works for me.

I loosen my tool post and use one of these against the workpiece. Once I can't see light on the other side I tighen the tool post.

c391.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: duke54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Compound rest to 29 1/2 deg. Thats old school info. </div></div>

...old school still works.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: duke54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Compound rest to 29 1/2 deg. Thats old school info. </div></div>

...old school still works..... </div></div>

You got that right!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: duke54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Compound rest to 29 1/2 deg. Thats old school info. </div></div>

...<span style="font-weight: bold">old school still works</span>..... </div></div>

Sure does.
But, for the record, what is the "new school" angle?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What method is everyone using to <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">center</span></span> insert threading tools on the manual lathe? Center gage and what other methods? </div></div>

To establish the center of my tooling, and all of it is indexible inserts BTW, I use a machinist scale. Boring, turning, facing & threading are all set up the same way. I simply look at the scale while it's being held by the tooling tip. You'll be able to tell if the tool is too high or too low by the top side of the sacle.

Top of scale leaning out too far = tool too low
Top of scale leaning in too far = tool too high
Top of scale leaning slightly out = tool hight just right.

2ldymty.jpg

As far as threading goes, I do the same thing but, I also indicate my tool holder in after center is established. Just get it running as close to zero, perpendicular with the spindle as you can. I don’t even know where my fish tail is........JK, I do but I'm trying to forget I even have one.

Hope this helps and answers your question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I also indicate my tool holder in after center is established. </div></div>

Do you use a 0.001" or 0.0001" indicator?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you use a 0.001" or 0.0001" indicator? </div></div>

.001"

Im lol about all the replies from the 29 1/2 deg post. I know i am warped but still have my memory. ha

Just found the tool for setting tool post for acme threads. Only did that job a few times. Memories?<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: duke54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im lol about all the replies from the 29 1/2 deg post. I know i am warped but still have my memory. ha </div></div>