• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Inside look at the SureFire 22-S suppressor

Kudu22

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2009
Fountain Valley CA
P22_insides_3.jpg

P22_insides_01.jpg

Re: Inside look at the SureFire 22-S suppressor

We will be posting sound data soon for you guys. Have a few more weapon platforms coming in to test.

wow.. way cool! always wondered what they look like inside.. def awesome pix....

Looking at a new Gemtech Outback II. What is the price range on these beauties? Impressive looking unit!

$499 for the 22-S (stainless steel version) and $439 for the 22-A (AL version) BTW the 22-A comes in at 2.3oz!

Very impressive amount of work here.

The "dots" are to keep idiots from reassembling the baffles and spacers in the wrong order, a big part of why some can makers won't let the cans come apart.

The lateral sliding spacers (and flated baffles) insure proper timing and the amount of gas diversion cutting is superb. This can will outperform any monoblock design. At some point any can maker gets it, mono block compared to baffles just plain suck as its all about the surface work.

If this can sounds great, well its going to be top shelf and on my list.

Surefire...one question, I do not see any effort to insure that the spacers and baffles MUST be set in order. In other words, I do not see propietary cutting on either the slotted spacers and/or the baffles that insist that #1 be followed by #2, etc. Is it there?

Congrats to Surefire! Wow....

Here is a quote from a post that Byron of M3 made regarding this suppressor:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68710

The 22-S will be stainless steel.

I got to handle and shoot the pre-production "prototypes" at SUREFIRE's range a few days ago and the cans are IMPRESSIVE!!

Here are some highlights that apply to both models:

-Both are user serviceable and will include "take down" tools and a "pusher" rod

-Both use SUREFIRE's new, proprietary "pig nose" baffle. The baffles have slots on each end that allow them to slide together and form a single stack that you drop into the tube (the tube does not have threaded ends). Once the baffle stack is dropped into the distal end of the tube, you screw the aft cap into the first baffle and it "pulls" the whole baffle stack longitudinally and puts it "under tension". It's a very cool design and the baffles are a thing of beauty. I'm not allowed to post pics of the baffles right now - but should be able to soon!

-Both are EXTREMELY QUIET! SUREFIRE is getting some very, very good numbers during their in-house sound testing. I shot the cans next to a different manufacturer's .22 can for reference and to my ear there was a substantial difference in sound reduction. Once we get production cans in hand, I'll do some independent sound testing to verify the can's performance. The prototypes cans that I got to shoot are easily in the top 10% of "quiet" .22 cans.

-Both cans will have SUREFIRE's uncompromising attention to minimal POI shift between suppressed and unsuppressed. The guys at SUREFIRE are absolutely fanatical about minimal (1moa or less) POI shift - and that focus is carrying over to their .22 cans.

Here are some details specifics to each model:

THE 22-A:

-The 22-A is FREAKISHLY LIGHT!!! It's a 2 Oz. can!!!!!! Let me say that again - It's 2 frickin' Ounces!!!!!! When you hold the can in your hand, it's feels like there's nothing there - it's almost shocking how crazy light it is. I kept picking it up again and again and again - I just couldn't get over how light the can is. The prototype that I handled had an aluminum aft cap, but the production unit will have Ti. The guys at SUREFIRE think that will bump the weight to 2.2 or 2.3 Oz. Either way, it's still insanely light.

-The 22-A will have a very competitive MSRP of $439. Just to give you a benchmark, the AAC Prodigy has an MSRP of $495

THE 22-S:

-The 22-S will be multi-caliber rated. I'm not sure if it will be all the way up through the FN 5.7 round - but I think it will.

-The 22-S will weight somewhere in the 5Oz. range.

-The SS-S will have an MSRP of $499. That gives the can pricing parity with the SWR Spectre and Silencerco SS Sparrow.
22A.jpg

Awful nice, the weight would seem to be in order, when one remembers that a Ti 9mm can is only 3.3 ounces, a 2oz for an all aluminum .22 sounds about right.

Torquing the front cap on that non threaded envelope is something to ponder. Having all that fine work stretched to compress it all together....well, I'm thinking about thermal expansion here, I'm just not sure....

Hey RollingThunder yes you can put the baffles upside down or out of order. It will still shoot but the sound performance is not there. We felt the numbers dots on on side only was the best way to help the customer keep the stack in order and aligned.

Why not just mark it into the envelope at serial # time?

Pretty hard to get it wrong and once started, the stack is facing properly.

P22_insides_3copy.jpg

IF you are willing to notch each baffle, you could "key tops and bottoms" too. Time the "pin" differently in the stack and you could make each part of the assembly unique?

timmed.jpg

Kudos to Kudu...

I'd like to know how many rounds it takes before the baffles fuse themselves together with lead and carbon

We are suggesting cleaning after 500 rounds. we have shot the R&D one you see in the pics a lot and have not had any issues getting the stack apart. Just ordered 50k more rounds today to keep playing with them. Once you start shooting them it is really hard to stop.

Kudu22-

Would you be willing to offer a group buy on these awesome looking cans?

I believe there are a few Hiders who are FFL/SOT's and maybe they could jump in here too....

Impressive. Looking forward to a review of the can when it becomes available.