• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Insight on turkey hunting near Cloudcroft, NM

Swamppy

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2019
Benton, Louisiana
Taking a trip in April to National forest land near Cloudcroft, NM. Any insight on terrain or what I need to prepare for would be great. How is the bird population in this area.

I’ve spent a lot of time around there but never during turkey season. Roads are pretty good so don’t worry too much about that. Terrain goes from straight rock cliffs on the west side with Barbary sheep and bighorns to thick forest on the East with a large elk population. I’ve heard from friends that toms were gobbling all around them in April. Good luck!

Use to turkey hunt around Weed every year but haven't done so in a number of years. Was a good turkey area and loaded with elk. If I remember we used to hunt in Perk Canyon. Roads are good but have also been snowed on in the middle of April. Rolling hills with Ponderosa pine. Good idea to carry a map and GPS since it is very easy to get turned around. Several times while coming in at night thought I was in the canyon where my camp was located only to find out I was a couple of canyons away.

Use to turkey hunt around Weed every year but haven't done so in a number of years. Was a good turkey area and loaded with elk. If I remember we used to hunt in Perk Canyon. Roads are good but have also been snowed on in the middle of April. Rolling hills with Ponderosa pine. Good idea to carry a map and GPS since it is very easy to get turned around. Several times while coming in at night thought I was in the canyon where my camp was located only to find out I was a couple of canyons away.
Ty for the reply GPS is certainly packed already. I am hoping I can forecast the weather a week out and only carry half as much gear.

Ty for the reply GPS is certainly packed already. I am hoping I can forecast the weather a week out and only carry half as much gear.
Biggest issue will be wind being spring in the SW. If it gets windy they hold in dark timber and tough to get them to move.

Biggest issue will be wind being spring in the SW. If it gets windy they hold in dark timber and tough to get them to move.
TY for the insight, I have never hunter in this terrain or a Merriam for that matter. I assume they will work the valleys like Easterns do if the weather is conducive.

TY for the insight, I have never hunter in this terrain or a Merriam for that matter. I assume they will work the valleys like Easterns do if the weather is conducive.
Look for patches of dandelions in the drainages and listen for them going to roost in the evening. You will be hunting between 6,000 and 7,000 feet with steep terrain.

Reviving thread at last minute before I leave. Weather has decided to turn cold not sure if this effects birds or not. Has anyone been scouting and have the birds been active?