• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Insite Arms new Hybrid, multi cal muzzle brake!!!

TeamPOI

Point of Impact
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2018
www.teampoi.com
All right guys, the brake industry has now been shakin up a little bit! New for this year, Instite Arms is introducing their new Hybrid brake. This thing does it all! You can go from 22 caliber up to 33 caliber in a matter of seconds with the use of a spanner tool and a torque with a fix it stix. The Hybrid is self timing and will keep your rifle as accurate as the original. If your going to be at Shot stop by their booth and check them out. If you have questions, shoot us a message.

IMG_1160-3.jpg
IMG_1107.jpg

What’s the word on when these will be available?

Will the insert be black or will it remain silver like the photos? I think it looks funny uncoated when the rest of it is

We will get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks for the patience!
I understand that you might not be able to comment on availability, but can you provide us with specs in regards to threading (5/8-24, 3/4-24, etc.) ? I am about to spin up a barrel and would like to be able to use your brake.

Thanks.

I understand that you might not be able to comment on availability, but can you provide us with specs in regards to threading (5/8-24, 3/4-24, etc.) ? I am about to spin up a barrel and would like to be able to use your brake.

Thanks.

.885 od
5/8x24

.995 od
18x1mm
18x1.5mm
3/4×20
3/4×24
5/8×24 TPI

Reactions: Franko
Ok, some of the first brakes have shipped, however the next run will have the nitride black inserts. OTM in Florida will have the very first batch available so keep an eye out there!

Still not available just yet? Not seeing any of these hybrids on OTM’s site...just the original Heathen.

Reactions: TSpork
Just got my Heathen MC brake! Going to try on my 7 RSAUM first.

No shots of the insert removed, I have to dig up my snap ring pliers to remove it.

Thanks Andy!

How’d you get one? They said they shipped a month ago and they still haven’t shown up on Insite or OTM’s site

How’d you get one? They said they shipped a month ago and they still haven’t shown up on Insite or OTM’s site
I placed an order for a 3/4x24 - 308 version over three months ago. There were follow up order questions and I was asked if I’d interested in waiting for the new MC version.

Any word when the black nitride inserts will be available? OTM has the new brake on their site, but when I called today they said they’re the silver ones and are not aware that black inserts would be available

Well, this might just be my opinion but this is an interesting idea that is probably going to be wasted. I say this because I cant really imagine to many people swapping brakes around between rifles. Now, if the same idea could be put into a can where it made an actual difference in performance of said suppressor (other wise just run a can large enough for your largest caliber) then I am 100% a buyer. Just my 2c. Very cool idea though.

Ehhh, not sure if I agree with that. I have several actions that get barrels swapped as they wear out, or get shot out. Depending on what the new barrels are chambered in, it can make the swapping of brakes a PITA. It's how I end up with all these "extra" odd ball brakes (5/8-24 .223 brake, SS 6.5 brake, quite a few black 6.5 brakes, a .308 brake, etc.).

The ability to swap out inserts is desirable (and functional) to me, since I have quite a few braked rifles.

Reactions: superde
That is definitely a valid perspective. I just think the same idea in a suppressor would be an amazing application of the tech.

I don't know. In a suppressor, there's no real downside to being over bored. In fact, my Dakota Varminter is actually quieter on a .223 (as a .30 cal can), than a .223 brake. Besides, the challenge with the suppressor is a legal issue, as each baffle is considered a "suppressor" in and of itself. So interchangeable baffles (legally) is a no go, regardless that it's a simple no-brainer to make interchangeable baffles.

Did not know that about the legality issue. Well as I said it may not be for me but the idea is very cool and I'm glad that it will be utilized by those who need it.

For me, the inability to swap between brake and can kills it. I shoot brakes/cans interchangeably depending on application and not having to worry about different thread patterns, bore diameters, etc. are the primary consideration. If I’m not able to use my cans in lieu of or in conjunction with the brakes I run then it makes it really tough for me.

Area 419 or suppressor-specific mounts are really the only options for this currently and I think that’s what will limit most guys from making the switch. Versatility (as is driving idea behind these new Hybrid brakes) is what sells and while this incorporates a cool feature, it’s not one that would make me jump to switch from my current setup personally.

Really neat idea though and the brakes themselves look really nice.

For me, the inability to swap between brake and can kills it. I shoot brakes/cans interchangeably depending on application and not having to worry about different thread patterns, bore diameters, etc. are the primary consideration. If I’m not able to use my cans in lieu of or in conjunction with the brakes I run then it makes it really tough for me.

Area 419 or suppressor-specific mounts are really the only options for this currently and I think that’s what will limit most guys from making the switch. Versatility (as is driving idea behind these new Hybrid brakes) is what sells and while this incorporates a cool feature, it’s not one that would make me jump to switch from my current setup personally.

Really neat idea though and the brakes themselves look really nice.

This is why I don't understand why people buy "QD" cans with their own proprietary mounts or oddball threads.

For some it's too late, and the A419 mounting system is the only solution (albeit I don't like how they designed their brakes), but for others getting into the game - just get direct thread 5/8x24" and then you avoid this whole problem. QD has no advantages, it doesn't take long to unscrew a suppressor.

For those looking to go the suppressor route, get direct thread cans and Heathen brakes. I really like the quality of the new brakes. And while I don't foresee myself changing out the inserts very often, it's a nice feature with no real downsides.

This is why I don't understand why people buy "QD" cans with their own proprietary mounts or oddball threads.

For some it's too late, and the A419 mounting system is the only solution (albeit I don't like how they designed their brakes), but for others getting into the game - just get direct thread 5/8x24" and then you avoid this whole problem. QD has no advantages, it doesn't take long to unscrew a suppressor.

For those looking to go the suppressor route, get direct thread cans and Heathen brakes. I really like the quality of the new brakes. And while I don't foresee myself changing out the inserts very often, it's a nice feature with no real downsides.

If I had a nickel for every time a DT mount on one of my cans got stuck on a barrel and had to be removed separately I’d have almost as many nickels as times I’ve seen you complain about the 419 brakes getting seized.

Heat, carbon, and threaded interfaces do that regardless, it’s not just relegated to one or the other.

If I had a nickel for every time a DT mount on one of my cans got stuck on a barrel and had to be removed separately I’d have almost as many nickels as times I’ve seen you complain about the 419 brakes getting seized.

Heat, carbon, and threaded interfaces do that regardless, it’s not just relegated to one or the other.

My other brakes don't get carbon locked. It's never happened after thousands of rounds through Heathens and a Little Bastards I once had. Took less than 100 with the Area 419, and I'm not the only one that I know of that it's happened to.

As an engineer, I see a design flaw in the Area 419 system. I know you hate hearing about it, but it is what it is. It's an unrefined design, and as much as I want to like it, it needs to go through another revision before I would ever purchase one again.

My other brakes don't get carbon locked. It's never happened after thousands of rounds through Heathens and a Little Bastards I once had. Took less than 100 with the Area 419, and I'm not the only one that I know of that it's happened to.

As an engineer, I see a design flaw in the Area 419 system. I know you hate hearing about it, but it is what it is. It's an unrefined design, and as much as I want to like it, it needs to go through another revision before I would ever purchase one again.
i had similar issues. but we're seeing how the sidewinder does. only because there's no 4 port heathen.

sidewinder works well for what i'm using it for tbh but i havent tried taking it off

Received one of these new Heathen brakes a few days ago. Haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet. First impressions: the product is very well machined and the black nitride finish is nice. The insert is silver, which I kind of like. However, there was no tool for removing the insert included in the package.

Received one of these new Heathen brakes a few days ago. Haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet. First impressions: the product is very well machined and the black nitride finish is nice. The insert is silver, which I kind of like. However, there was no tool for removing the insert included in the package.

You can buy am insert, the wrench or a package for 49.99 for the kit. Just the tool is 24.99.

Is that due to the carbon lock or are there other reasons. I am interested to hear your opinion.

I do admit that the carbon buildup problem is severe. Never had to clean a brake every time I clean the barrel but it is necessary with the 419.

However, I find it more effective than an LB and others I have tried

Is that due to the carbon lock or are there other reasons. I am interested to hear your opinion.

I do admit that the carbon buildup problem is severe. Never had to clean a brake every time I clean the barrel but it is necessary with the 419.

However, I find it more effective than an LB and others I have tried

My best guess is that it's carbon locked. I haven't bothered to waste my time unseizing it yet to inspect it, as I have (IMO) a multitude of superior brakes in my possession. I would be surprised if it was locked on by other means, but I've been wrong before.

Either way, it's a design flaw to lock up so easily, and at the moment my time is too short to further waste it on that brake. To lock up at suck a low round count, is a big disappointment, and I know many others who have had the same issues. My other brakes (mostly Heathens) seem to be much more reliable, with just as much recoil control in a more refined design, so I'll stick with them.

You certainly should stick to whatever works best for you. I have worked cleaning the 419 into my regimen every time I clean the barrel. Haven't had it lock up since. I have not tried a Heathen. Maybe I will. I have a new AI barrel coming this week.

I've been running Heathens for a couple years now and have 2 barrels (.223 and 6mm Creedmoor) with the new multi cal brakes. I'm a fan, great recoil reduction without getting a face full of blast. When I get a 7 SAUM barrel done for the same action, I'll just get the 7mm insert for one of the brakes.