• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inspecting rifle b4 transfer

slowkota

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Alright, I'll start by sheepishly admitting that the 3 previous rifles I've bought have been impulse buys, at Big Box Stores (All before I've been a member here). Luckily they've all been great shooters!

Anyways... I just ordered a R700 5R .308 in 20" from Bud's.

They stress inspection of the firearm before an FFL transfer, so I'm here asking you guys... What should I look for during my inspection?

Re: Inspecting rifle b4 transfer

nicks in metal work , they may show rough handling
smooth function of all moving components
take snap caps with you make sure it ejects and feeds
look for any over torqued screws that may be stripped
check bore , to your satisfaction, bore scope etc
overall make sure you get a warm fuzzy feeling , if not slow down and look harder to find what is messing with you.

Is checking the muzzle by doing the "Q-tip" method too anal?

I already know that if the barrel isn't centered in the channel, I'm going to reject transfer.

I don't know if my FFL has a bore-scope or not... I sure as hell don't! But it crossed my mind. But he does have snap caps, so I'll check that out.

It's unlikely you'll find burrs on the crown but go ahead and check anyway. The main thing that scares me about new rifles is how the chamber/throat looks. I've heard a fair number of stories about how dull tools have left burrs and chatter marks in that crucial area. To my knowledge, a bore scope is the only real way to tell before you actually fire the rifle.

Don't mean to scare you. I think it's a fairly rare problem.

I'ld ask the gun shop to pull the stock off just to see if anyones monkeyed with it like trigger/bedding etc. and look at the screw to see if they show signs of being f'd with with the wrong tool. After reading another thread check the bolt face for wear and make sure it functions well and dry fire with snap caps as mentioned I'ld use a new one so I made sure the firing pin is actually making contact. Although you won't have a borescope with you bring a bore light with you pull out the bolt and check the barrel and the feed ramp into the chamber also check spring function in the magazine well if it's a BDL pop the door and look at it to make sure it's in good condition.I would also check the free float with a dollar bill If it's a factor stock you'll have the pads in the front though just remember they are there and check to make sure your barrel is centered in the stock especially if it's an after market stock as I would put warping past one of those cheap budget remington stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pure_mahem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.I would also check the free float with a dollar bill If it's a factor stock you'll have the pads in the front though just remember they are there and check to make sure your barrel is centered in the stock especially if it's an after market stock as I would put warping past one of those cheap budget remington stocks. </div></div>
Pretty sure the 5R comes in an HS Precision stock... But I've still heard of cases where the alignment was questionable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I already know that if the barrel isn't centered in the channel, I'm going to reject transfer.

</div></div>

From the few I've seen you better be ready to send back a lot of rifles in this case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

From the few I've seen you better be ready to send back a lot of rifles in this case. </div></div>
+1 to that. But I will say, I think as long as the receiver is evenly and properly mated to the bedding block having a little more "float" on one side of the barrel channel shouldn't affect the performance of the rifle. It's just annoying to look at. FWIW, I would be pretty picky about this too.