• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing install sling studs in fiberglass stock-best way?

WCW308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2008
Central Idaho
I am considering buying a rifle in McMillan htg type stock-has no studs-I want to add. I have installed them in wood & lam myself with good results. Any suggestions on how to best install in fiberglass? I assume the front is installed thru hole drilled through to bbl channel & attach nut in recess below bbl...how about the rear... Did a search here on SH & could not find anything. info appreciated.

Re: install sling studs in fiberglass stock-best way?

Here's how I do it:

I make all these parts in house. I don't like the inserts typically used as they've been known to pull out. (not saying they always do this, but I've seen it so I went with my own instead)

For the rear I'll drill the hole to slightly over the root diameter of the stud and then pack the hole with thin CA. (super glue) While still wet I'll drive the stud in so that it hydraulics the glue into the surrounding core material. This increases the hardness significantly and greatly reduces the ability of the threads to pull out of the material. For up front I'll drill straight through and then counterbore to slightly under the OD of the thread insert. Then squish it in there and cover with 5 minute epoxy mixed with baking soda. Allow to cure and then sand to flush, making the insert blind/hidden so it was like it just grew there on its own.

DSC_0030.jpg

thanks, treebasher...great info, from reading post, seems like the rear screw stud can be glued in using gorilla glue(?) I have used it & it's super strong. Never worked on a fiberglass stock & not sure what the fill strength is. Don't want to overthink it, but don't want to see my rear stud pull out on a rocky climb, either...

C.Dixon, thanks. your insert is a work of art. Sure I could file some slots in a nut(s) for rear stud to lock into glue using your design (no lathe or mill here...) & glue in.