• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Installed DBM....questions

HeavyAssault

Dog-Face One-Horse Pony-Soldier (AVN RGT)
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2011
    Florida
    I hope I can explain this correctly. I was putting together a R700 BA with Grayboe DBM on a McMillan stock. Everything fits super great, nothing really sticks out as "it's not right" till I started with the magazines and feeding rounds. When I go thru cycling the bolt there seems to be some drag on the magazine. It's really dragging the bolt BUT it will feed and extract the rounds just fine. Using MagPul mags if that makes any difference.
    Compared to another rifle I have using the same Magpul mags and ammo there's ZERO issues with any feel of "dragging" on the bolt. SO it doesn't seem like it's the mags at all to me.

So I've accepted I may need to "shim" the DBM off the McMillan pillars in the stock. Is this an acceptable fix or should I be looking to another reason why the mags seem to be SO high into the receiver that they cause drag on the bolt?

Alternatively, you could take a little off of the top of the magazine catch (if you are sure that you are fully committed to Magpul mags).

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    I don't have access to a steel mag. Considering the other rifle operates just fine with the same Magpuls I had to consider what's different. The DBM and stock.....which if the DBM and inlet area is inside the stock too far would cause the same apparent issue of dragging. I figured I could just drop in some thin stainless steel shims on the DBM mounting points.

I'm going to give the Magpuls a little parlor time with a mild file to see if that helps. I was going to sit down with the whole setup again to see if I can get a better view of what is happening.

Yes the bottom metal can be too deep In the stock. The mag lips could be a little too tall. The mag catch could be a little too long. Could be a few things. Try a few different mags and see if they all act the same.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    I just don't have a collection of mags to try out. Ugggggh

Not to mention manufacturing tolerances of the stock and DBM could be on the opposites ends of one another. Not in a bad way, just when combined they make it not work. If I had another DBM or DBM style stock I could test this theory.