• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Installing a detachable magazine to a M1 Garand Tanker model

Basque1

Basque 1
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2020
Rockland County NY
Does any knows of an online gunsmiths service that would install a detachable magazine to a an M1 Garand Tanker model? Fulton Armory is out, they would not do this work.
Tks

Basque 1

Um..
M1A ??
Why butt your head against the wall unless you just want to spend 3k to make your rifle unsaleable?

Um..
M1A ??
Why butt your head against the wall unless you just want to spend 3k to make your rifle unsaleable?
Um no...these sell for more than regular garands. 3k? God posts like yours are just idiotic

Op, schuffs or tony at garand guy will do this. Cmpforums has plenty on this. Ive 2 like this and 5 garands. Good luck, they are great

If someone is making them and has a system it could be cheaper. If done as a one off by a quality smith who has to design and fab it it’s going to be a very expensive process.

If you are screwing up an original USGI M1 Garand it’s going to be worth far less.

If it’s some crap repo or parts rifle, drive on.

Last edited:
Um no...these sell for more than regular garands. 3k? God posts like yours are just idiotic

There is no way that a bastardized M1 is worth more, in general, than an unmolested example.

You say they sell for more.............I bet the market is minuscule and it takes forever to find a sucker.

Reactions: RTH1800
Does any knows of an online gunsmiths service that would install a detachable magazine to a an M1 Garand Tanker model? Fulton Armory is out, they would not do this work.
Tks

Basque 1

Hi,

Am I missing some new technology or something, lol????
So someone can actually perform this as an "Online gunsmith service"?????

I definitely have the wrong computer.

Sincerely,
Theis

Out of my mind, not doing it, I honestly thought it was financially viable but it is not. It is not idiotic when Garand came up with the M1A so i thought a conversion was going to be easier,. Sorry that some of you thought I was idiotic and off the wall. tks
Basque 1

Hi,

Am I missing some new technology or something, lol????
So someone can actually perform this as an "Online gunsmith service"?????

I definitely have the wrong computer.

Sincerely,
Theis
Meant advertise on line...not many reputable gunsmiths in my area

Seriously,
Have you considered an M 1A?
Everyone that shoots mine wants one. Really a fun rifle.

Reactions: Basque1
I seem to recall reading that the original M1 Garand had a 20 round DBM but McAurthor threw a fit and it was changed. Cannot recall where now.

I seem to recall reading that the original M1 Garand had a 20 round DBM but McAurthor threw a fit and it was changed. Cannot recall where now.
One of the original Garands was chambered in .276 Pedersen (really a .284”/7mm), with an internal 10rd magazine. It was a lighter rifle with less recoil, handled much easier, and sustained fire a bit longer.

.276 Pedersen Garand in the middle:

iu

In 1942, Garand made a BAR magazine-fed, select-fire Garand that never went anywhere since it was hard to control, heated up quickly, and was unreliable in automatic fire.

D-281-T20.png

How about the next best thing a Beretta BM 59?

After World War II, Italy adopted the US-designed M1 Garand rifle in .30-06 Springfield (7.62×63mm) and also manufactured it under license. This semi-automatic rifle proved itself well during World War II, but in the late 1950s it was considered outdated and obsolete and the Italian military also wanted a new rifle chambered for the NATO-standard 7.62×51mm round.

To meet these requirements, Beretta designed the BM 59, which was essentially a rechambered M1 fitted with a removable 20-round magazine, folding bipod and a combined muzzle brake/flash suppressor/rifle grenade launcher. The BM 59 is capable of selective fire.

The BM 59 was adopted in 1959 and served with Italian, Argentinian, Indonesian, and Moroccan armies. In the early 1980s, semi-automatic versions were imported to the United States and sold to private collectors. The earliest BM 59s were manufactured from U.S.-manufactured M1 parts, including re-chambered barrels.

In 1990, the BM 59 was replaced in Italian service by the Beretta AR70/90 assault rifles, although some may be in service in the Italian Navy.

i-4D2DnFb.jpg