• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Installing a new trigger

Lance B

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2008
NJ
I am installing a new trigger in my Surgeon rifle. My question, is it ok for the trigger assembly to touch the stock?

Re: Installing a new trigger

No. There should be slight clearance around the trigger and housing as it is attached to the receiver and will rub during firing and stress your bedding. If the safety contacts, this could prevent reliable operation.

Gotta agree here. The only thing that should be touching the stock is the action. I ran into this when installing a Jewell a while back. I kept having trouble with the safety working until I freed everything up with a Dremel.

Yep, dremel around the trigger, or you'll have problem with bolt release and/or safety.

Have you tried rotating the action to achieve the correct clearance? Maybe the holes in the trigger housing are off and the whole thing sits crooked in the action? I had a Jewell that sat crooked like that.