• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Installing a tactical bolt knob on a Mauser

Sailormilan

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
I have had a target/sniper style rifle built on a Yugo Mauser action with a Parker Hale target barrel for some time. The bolt handle was forged, and was about 2.5" long. Which I felt was a bit short. So, I decide to lengthen it and install a tactical style knob. I checked with a gunsmith who wanted $125 to weld on a new bolt handle, and I decided that was too much.
000_2037.jpg

I got a tactical weld on handle threaded for a screw on bolt knob and the knob from PTG(Pacific Tool and Gauge). The handle is actually for a Remington 700, but I thought I could modify it to make it fit. After trimming everthing off I thought I would need to trim to make it fit right, the length would not be much longer than what I already had.
000_2225.jpg

Once I got it, I wasn't sure I liked how much I would have to take off and the styling. So, I decided to modify the bolt handle that was already on the Mauser. The orignal bolt handle with knob was 2.5" long, and the knob is about .8" in diameter. The tactical knob is 1.324" long, and threaded inside to a depth of about .5", though the PTG handle is only threaded to .4".
I took a cut off grinder, and using the side of the cutt off blade started cutting/grinding the sides, top and bottom of the ball until I had it roughly square. Then I ground down the corners till I had an 8 sided shape. From there I rocked the cutoff grinder back and forth getting a roughly shaped cylinder. I tried to maintain the same angle as the handle shaft.
000_2235.jpg

Once I was close to the right shape and size, I used sandpaper to smooth things up. That is what I had, and I didn't want to go to the hardware store and get some emory cloth.
I started with 100 grit, and worked my way to 600 grit. I used strips about 1" to 1.5" wide, and worked in a back and forth action like I was shoe shinning.
I kept moving around the handle so I could round it out.
000_2220.jpg

Once that was done, I had to locate a 5/16 x 24 tpi die, to thread the handle. Once I got it threaded, I screwed on the knob. Overall length is now 3.55". Roughly a 40% increase in length, and corresponding reduction in lift forces due to increased leverage.
Here are before and after photos:
000_2231.jpg

000_2229.jpg

In this photo, the knob doesn't look straight, but that is due to the angle of the photo.
000_2233.jpg

Now I have to refinish the handle and whole gun. I am going to park it with Black park. Once that is done, I will loctite on the knob.

Re: Installing a tactical bolt knob on a Mauser

Nice job. Now just got to get rid of that hideous, worthless, waste-of-good-tupperware ATI stock! Seriously, trying to get good, solid, repeatable results with that stock is like trying to spit in a cup at your feet.

We do an even simpler bolt mod for "Tactical" style mauser builds. I'll see if we still have the pics somewhere. You end up with an AICS style skinny handle and can use whatever knob and sweep it to whatever angle your heart desires.

Anyway, its nice to see the grandaddy of modern bolt guns here. Lets us know we're not the only ones with Mauseritis!

<span style="font-size: 8pt">Edited because I no spell so good! </span>

Re: Installing a tactical bolt knob on a Mauser

Actually, the ATI stock makes a decent stock with a bit of work. That is an intermediate length Yugo action bedded with AcraGlas Gel. I cut off the funky screw holes for the upper handguard, and filled the screw holes on the bottom. I filled the front part of the stock with expanding foam. Then I used a scraping tool for opening barrel channels to open the channel up a bit, then glassed it in with several layers of electrician's tape wrapped around the barrel for clearance. The rock hard rubber butt pad has been replaced with a Hogue recoil pad. Stock profile is similar to a Steyr Tactical.
After, priming wth plastic primer the stock was painted with Plasti-kote Fleck Stone paint in Santa Fe Sand color as a base color . That gives a rough finish that is easy to grip.
The big flat and wide forend makes it easy to shoot off bags.
Biggest issue with the whole thing is the barrel. Barrel is one of the Parker Hale targer barrels, and while it is and accurage barrel, it is designed for 147 - 150 gr bullets. Twist is 1 in 13.5". I am considering going to a different barrel with at least a 1 in 12", for heavier bullet use.