• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Installing Arca On Round Stock

Mbaysinger89

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
KS
So I have a few round bottom McMillan, and wood factory stocks I want to install a small Arca rail on. Would you bed and blend the new rail into the round, mill a flat for it to sit in, any are there kind of premade plastic or aluminum spacers available?

I’ve thought about the same thing. I think building a pad with bedding then milling and blending would be the way to go on synthetic stocks

Reactions: powdahound76
After some thought I may try shaping some delrin flat into a spacer. Save alot of mess. Would still be interested if anybody knows of a source of another option. Possibly an arca rail that has 2 1/8" wide "tracks" down the bottom?

It wouldn't be a reversible modification you could sink pillars into the forearm with tee nuts on the inside like they do the front sling swivels ? If the rail uses the front action screw and bolts in the front sling stud hole one pillar half way would make it stronger .

Edit I looked at some pictures I wonder if the center of the rail is recessed so the outside edges contacts the stock and the center bolt just pull it tight ?
https://impactprecisionshooting.com/products/full-length-arca-rail-1-5-dovetail-for-foundation-stock

Dovetail-Arca-Rail-for-Stocks.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
Those SRS rails look like they would accommodate a rounded forend well.

Man wish I wouldve seen those SRS 2 hours ago. Just bought some Badger MLok Bipod Rails to install in the stocks ahead of the magwell. Might use those on some stuff though. Good find.

If we (LRI) was doing this:

I'd start with this guy:

1630503529502.png

I'd use it to establish the contour of the rifle stock's bottom side. From here it'd be pretty simple to throw it up on an optical comparator and bang out some points that I can convert into a DXF file. Import that into Solid Works and use it to create a "footer" that serves as a go between the stock and the rail. I realize this is likely out of the wheelhouse for most, but if you do have the tools/ability, it'll deliver a form fitting, purpose built adaptation.

Happy to help

C.

Hey Guys! I’m hardly ever on here but I just paid for my commercial account so figured I would chime in.

My names Ken, I own SRS. We make the only rounded bottom arca rails as mentioned above. We also make tactical (flat bottom) rails and titanium muzzle brakes.

for rails we have the mini (1.7” OAL) the arca 4”, and then the tactical 4” and tactical 10”. And we have the combo arca+pic rail. We also make two different lengths of pic rails.

All of our rails are made from 7075 aluminum and black anodized.

If anyone wants some more info, shoot me a message!

thanks,

Ken
F869AB43-9EDF-4E1D-BB2F-CE6C9CABDF98.jpeg

99372AEC-31F7-4D9C-91EF-90858327BD1E.jpeg

Hey Guys! I’m hardly ever on here but I just paid for my commercial account so figured I would chime in.

My names Ken, I own SRS. We make the only rounded bottom arca rails as mentioned above. We also make tactical (flat bottom) rails and titanium muzzle brakes.

for rails we have the mini (1.7” OAL) the arca 4”, and then the tactical 4” and tactical 10”. And we have the combo arca+pic rail. We also make two different lengths of pic rails.

All of our rails are made from 7075 aluminum and black anodized.

If anyone wants some more info, shoot me a message!

thanks,

Ken
View attachment 7695311
View attachment 7695312
Bringing back an old thread. Any Chance for a 12-13 inch rail in the future?

Bringing back an old thread. Any Chance for a 12-13 inch rail in the future?
I have the longest srs rail that has the radius for round handguards and its pretty long 11-12" I believe. It has the bottom metal inlet which is irrelevant for my use but it doesn't hurt anything either.

The longest I see is 11. From the front of my mag to the tip of the stock is about 12 3/4. I think i could make a 12 work ok. But I feel like a 11 would be just to short.
I have the longest srs rail that has the radius for round handguards and its pretty long 11-12" I believe. It has the bottom metal inlet which is irrelevant for my use but it doesn't hurt anything either.

Suggestion: (I've done this in the past - worked well.) Apply a good amount of wax or other release agent to the stock. (Tape over adjacent areas.) Then use epoxy, preferably steel epoxy, underneath the arca rail and inbetween the rail and rifle. Upon curing you will have a rock hard base which forms exactly to your rifle's stock contour.

Suggestion: (I've done this in the past - worked well.) Apply a good amount of wax or other release agent to the stock. (Tape over adjacent areas.) Then use epoxy, preferably steel epoxy, underneath the arca rail and inbetween the rail and rifle. Upon curing you will have a rock hard base which forms exactly to your rifle's stock contour.
I have thought about this. Glad to here from someone who has done it

The longest I see is 11. From the front of my mag to the tip of the stock is about 12 3/4. I think i could make a 12 work ok. But I feel like a 11 would be just to short.
Yeah you would have gap front or back. My use case is round carbon fiber handguard with mlok slots on gas gun for 3gun so I can just shift it out front to take the bipod out there, or move it back to take the tripod in front of the mag, or take it off quick to run raw. If you never need to take it off some epoxy or whatever seems legit. Also check out the jp rifles long one. I have it on my heavy long range gas gun and it's great for a round situation where weight is not important.

I emailed area 419 and they said the radius on the bottom of the stock was not an issue. I can't see how it wouldn't be but may give it a try.

I have been thinking about making the bottom of the stock flat. It looks like if I took .05 of the bottom it would make a .5-.75 wide flat. It is a carbon fiber stock so not sure if that would go all the way through the shell or not