• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing installing muzzle device without barrel vice

RedRaider1803

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2012
I installed a specwar 762 muzzle brake on my Remington 700 AAC SD, without a barrel vice because I did not have a vice. I had someone hold the rifle while I turned the device to about 12 ft. lbs. This should not hurt my rifle should it? I am just checkin with y'all who have forgotten more than I know! Thanks gents

I just installed a muzzle brake by hand tightening it and then just snugging it up and using rockset

Thanks for the input. The rifle was in the chassis, and had a buddy hold the chassis and I used a screw driver through the slots on the brake.

I realize the OPs thread was for a bolt gun, but this method works for them too. I do not own a "barrel vise", but routinely remove and install muzzle devices on ARs using a HD bench vise and blocks of hardwood, clamping as close to the muzzle as practical. Use caution to clamp the barrel, not the gas block. Also ensure if the barrel should turn, the gas tube or piston is not damaged. Typically muzzle devices are torqued to 35-45 lb/ft (or manufacturers specification). I use a "crow-foot" socket and don't worry about the barrel CL/socket offset as it is only about 10%. If this is a suppressor adapter, you do not want that sucker coming loose.

You can do what you want, but not a good idea to use the chassis, stock, or receiver (on an AR) as the "holding device" when working with a muzzle device.