• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Installing sope base ?

Doeboy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
In the D
Some ?'s i have to ask? 1: When installing a 20moa base, which end should be in the front, cant up or down, I'm assuming cant(up)right? never had to install a canted base before. 2: I have a Nikon Monarch scope with a 40moa of elevation that i will (temporary) put on, will that get me to 1000yds? Saveing $$$ for a (weaver tac scope)or should i put on the Burris that i also have on hand and that has a 50moa of elveation at 100yds 3: On the average at a 1000yds, how many inches does the 308 drop? Sorry for all the ? guy
crazy.gif

Re: Installing sope base ?

The thicker part of the base goes to the rear so it slopes forward. My .308 needs about 39.5 moa to get to a grand and is dropping about 410 inches. You may or may not know there are multiple variables and my dope will likely not be spot on for you.

What kind of rifle? It should be idiot proof for most (it will only go one way due to screw hole separation). If not, then the cant should be down (lower at the muzzle end). For your other questions, you need to give some more info; barrel length, muzzle velocity, bullet type, etc., but 40MOA + 20MOA base should be good to 1000 for most loads.

Try the JBM online program to get some idea of where you'll be:

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmcard-5.1.cgi

With the canted base your hope is that you will be zeroed at 200 yards or so near the bottom of your scope's adjustment range. So that you will be able to come up with almost all of it. This worked out pretty well for me with my 15 MOA base.