• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Instruments for measuring forces on scopes

rockrat

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2011
IN
I'm interested in what tools and instruments are used in measuring recoil acceleration, impact forces, and bending modes are experienced by various parts of the rifle. I pose the question here because I presume scopes and bases are among the most well studied exterior mounted rifle fixtures.

For example, if I wanted to measure chamber pressure, I could purchase something like this: http://www.shootingsoftware.com/pressure.htm .

I can obviously calculate an approximate peak acceleration via basic physics, however, this provides neither the acceleration profile over time (as can be seen by in the figure of post 2727321), nor the acceleration at various nodes on the rifle given the mechanical damping of the components (e.g. the acceleration and vibration modes experienced at the tip of the barrel is certainly different than that experienced at the scope, rails, accessories, etc.) - see here: http://www.varmintal.com/amode.htm .

I presume that most development efforts proceed through 3D FEM (via ANSYS?) with an acceleration profile applied at the mounting point. However, this profile should have been measured at one point in time and should also be dependent on a particular rifle.

I haven't been able to find any commercially available tools for accomplishing this measurement. So I'm wondering if most manufacturers evaluate survival of peak acceleration criteria rigorously or more empirically (e.g. no POA shift after x rounds of 50 bmg).

I am fairly familiar with IMUs, accelerometers, strain gauges, and the like, so I'm wondering, from those more in the know...what tools are you using to evaluate your product in the lab before it hits the field? Are they proprietary tools developed in house, are you using ad hoc development board type solutions, is there a commercial tool I'm not finding, or are you just going straight to field evaluation? Moreover, if you do have such a tool, how do you ensure appropriate mounting for a trustworthy measurement?

TIA

Re: Instruments for measuring forces on scopes

Navy-Crane

Keeping mouth shut.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can find it the same company has a product called loadforce. You can get the info you want with this. I was going to get this for use on my reloading press for neck pressure measurements and uniformity.
http://www.shootingsoftware.com/recoil.htm </div></div>

Thanks for that, I did check that out. Aside from not being produced anymore, I believe it can only give load forces in 1 direction (not 1 axis), doesn't realistically allow for mounting at various locations about the rifle (e.g. the scope bell) and also is not independent of the shooting configuration (e.g. cannot take a measurement while the rifle is shouldered standing).

I'm looking for something that can either be mounted via a rail section or a clamp/epoxy. At a minimum I would like it to provide a 3-axis accelerometer measurement in a package about the size of a pager. A 9-DOF solution is better, and there are a number of development board type products that can kludged to do this, but most top out at about 16 g and the remainder seem to be limited to 70 g.

It may end up that I have to make this myself...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pawprint2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Navy-Crane</div></div>

Yea, I figure the nswc validates whatever will be fielded, but I'm wondering what tools they use *before* they have a DoD contract.

Perhaps not a helpful response, but I use LMS for many things at work including Modal analysis. At some point I would like to modal an entire rifle using 50+ uniaxial accelerometer. It has be proposed at work to do this as a group building exercise.. If it ever happens I will post the results on the hide.