• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Insurance for your Comp. Gun & kit.

mojavejim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2013
So Cal Mountains
I'm interested in getting insurance for at least my comp. guns & possibly all my gear. I remember seeing a post on the past hosting site but I was unable to find it.
Being from CA & getting into the PRS comps there is a lot of travel involved, I've been driving to some, RV'ing to others & making a Vacation out of them, But I would like to just fly a miss less work but the thought of the Airlines loosing my kit has prevented me from that.
I have gotten the NRA firearm insurance emails but was looking for other options to check out, Any help would be great, Thanks

The NRA insurance is a joke, I recently had my truck broke into, luckily only lost a Colt Rail Gun. It was literally the biggest hassle to get anything from the NRA. And at the end of all the paperwork and headaches....I get a letter in the mail stating the claim has traveled beyond the allotted time. So cause they took forever, I got squat. I had everything they asked, it is truly frustrating believing that insurance like these exist. At the end, my homeowners got me $250. Texas has some kind of limits, but it was welcomed. Only reason my homeowners insurance got involved was cause they damaged the lock to the fence, thus involving the house. Fence cost me $28 to repair.

Get a good insurance, I currently use Lloyds of London through my business to cover all my firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Historic Firearms, Its underwritten by Eastern insurance and is very affordable. My coverage is much higher then NRA or what homeowners/ renters insurance gives you. My homeowners won't even cover 1 of my AI's with the mount, glass and bipod should it be stolen. It also cover you went you travel.

Why bother with insurance? Just write the retail value off on your taxes if something happens. If you can afford to fly and travel around a fair bit and shoot, you seem affluent enough to handle a write off of that magnitude.

a tax write off isnt the same as the purchase price of all your equipment. for example, if u lose $10k of equipment, I would need to claim over 35K in losses to get back $10k in savings.

Thanks, I'm not really wanting to replace my gear either way. Just would feel better traveling with insurance. Don't think I'll be using Bulldog for a financial advisor lol. I'll give Eastern a call, thanks Gixxer

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Obviously, I've made poor financial decisions in life. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/imagizer.imageshack.us\/v2\/1600x1200q90\/923\/fiajHA.jpg"}[/IMG2]

In more relevant information....if you happen to use USAA, you can add firearms to your valuable property protection (I.e like jewelry, etc). It then covers you in the car, on the road, at the range. It's not pennies, but it's reasonable...but you have to add each firearm, it's not coverage to an amount. So I won't add that old 22, but my PRS rifle with scope, bipod, mags, etc adds up quick in one quick snatch and grab case....

Also, be sure to check you homeowners policy for what they cover on firearms. Full replacement for entire collection for fire, but a somewhat low cap for theft.

ZY

We have Auto Owners P.&C. for our house and contents. For about $80 a year I've added a rider for several of the more valuable rifles and scopes. I take photos of the rifles, scopes, SN#'s, save to a flashdrive, store drive in safe place. Periodically I'll update the list of insured rifles and drop it off at my agents office. She updates the policy to reflect the new additions/deletions. The flashdrive is proof in the event of a claim. Photos of the end cap of a scope box is also a good idea.

One can also buy a stand alone rifle policy, the cost is greater but in the event of a claim the processing is faster and payout better.

In either scenario, any insurance is better than none.

USAA offers good coverage for guns under a home owners rider called Personal Property Policy, it's a zero deductible and covers the cost of your guns, scopes and accessories. It's pretty complete and good value. The only downside is that you need to have your home covered by them to get this policy. It's good insurance anyway for homeowners, so adding this is not an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be able to add firearms and accessories to any standard homeowners or renter policy. It would be just like adding a piece of jewelry or other valuable item you would like to insure. It will give you more coverage than just letting your normal policy cover it. Especially since most will have limits on firearms and accessories. Just contact your insurance company/agent and they should be able to let you know what they can do for you.

Adding firearms coverage to my homeowners was super expensive, they wanted all kinds of pictures, serial# and such. No thanks

I have Historic Firearms (Eastern Insurance) with Hanover Insurance Group. I got $100,000 coverage on EVERYTHING while it's anywhere, not just in my house. Even if it's loaned or at a gunsmith. $340/year and no serial#, no item lists, no pictures. They just want to know how much coverage you want if you had a total lost and then they quote you.

they have a minimum coverage amount of $40,000 which costs $150.00

Adding firearms coverage to my homeowners was super expensive, they wanted all kinds of pictures, serial# and such. No thanks

I have Historic Firearms (Eastern Insurance) with Hanover Insurance Group. I got $100,000 coverage on EVERYTHING while it's anywhere, not just in my house. Even if it's loaned or at a gunsmith. $340/year and no serial#, no item lists, no pictures. They just want to know how much coverage you want if you had a total lost and then they quote you.

they have a minimum coverage amount of $40,000 which costs $150.00

What's your deductible when filing a claim?