• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Insurance shot?

shaman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2008
Frankfort, Kentucky
I was just in the safari forum on another board, and thought I would see what people here thought. Do you shoot them again in the head for good measure, or just give them a poke?

Re: Insurance shot?

Perhaps it is valid to add what game is in question and in what situation do you think a follow up/insurance shot is a good thing.

For anything that can kill/hurt me bad, I guess it would be a good thing, that includes wild boar as well,

when shooting at driven game, I tend to shoot a second shot if the game is still a fot and running after being hit the first time.

/Chris

I agree with previous responses. It all depends on the game being taken.

Deer - No need, they are not dangerous.

Pigs - Yes, but only when required to stop the squealing
laugh.gif
I think I recall myself saying out loud a few times "Shut up" *bang*

I got a buddy that has a saying....

If it is not down send another round...

He does just that. It is a running joke now...

I agree on dangerous game, although I've seen a whitetail that seemed pretty dead kick the hell out of a guy one time.

Depends on shot placement. If it's a marginal shot and you need to ease the suffering, by all means!

not on a moving non-dangerous animal. The worst shot to me is a follow up gut-shot. I avoid a gut shot at all costs.