• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Insurance

Bearwalk

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2010
Between the Blue & Canadian Lines
My google-fu came up short on the topic of insurance and I'd like some opinions from the Hide.

Recent break-ins in our small town have sent me scurrying to upgrade my security, but also to think about an insurance policy for the ole' collection.

One day you own a couple of hunting rifles, the next after getting in to LR, you own 20 rigs with custom this and high end optics that. I don't know how it happened, but it did. Now, I do know exactly how the 1911s happned, but that's another story....
smile.gif

Anyway, looking into an Inland Marine policy, but of course, they want a list and descriptions....

So, what do you guys think about coughing up for insurance - The cost is very reasonable, I thought. But just as importantly, what amounts to a defacto registration of all your firearms, IMO. In today's world, once there's a list....well, there's a list.

Re: Insurance

I have the Inland Marine, and didn't have an issue with the list. Provided all work and cost involved with each weapon, and little stuff also was included in my coverage prices including Tax stamp.
My cars are insured and listed, so are my household possessions.
I even did a photo CD of all my gear so there would be no issues if my gear came up missing.

My level of paranoia must be low or my naivete is showing but you are much more likely to be a victim of a bugler than a government conspiracy to take your stuff. If they are legal to own then a list won't hurt you. If by some political stupidity they become illegal to posses you won't be leaving them around to be confiscated by the man. I would insure the collection. I did a count the other day and am considering a policy myself. Thanks for posting this.

I did the Inland Marine policy rider myself last year, and I have to admit I did have some brief paranoid moments of recording every item and serial number and providing it to the agent. But the piece of mind of knowing that it's all covered has made up for that. I didn't think of doing the photo CD or video though, I may have to do that next weekend to CMA even more. One thing to remember though is that as your collection continues, undoubtedly, to grow you'll have to update the insurance agent with the new items, their info and values too.