• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Insurgent Snipers in Afghanistan

CCCCanuck

Ruler of Omicron Persei 8
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2010
Portsmouth, NH
I work for a small defense company and we are in the process of designing a new product. My question is, what is the most common insurgent sniper round? Are they using standard FMJ rounds or steel-core? 7.62x39 or 7.62x54R? Any guidance those who are or have been over there can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Insurgent Snipers in Afghanistan

I'd just like to state for the record, that this "Engineer from Syracuse" apparently has nothing to do with actual Canucks. And us real Canucks lay no claim nor responsibility whatsoever to those who aspire to be, let alone pretend to be, actual Canuckians.

Let the games, begin!
cool.gif

WTF

Interesting to see where this goes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd just like to state for the record, that this "Engineer from Syracuse" apparently has nothing to do with actual Canucks. And us real Canucks lay no claim nor responsibility whatsoever to those who aspire to be, let alone pretend to be, actual Canuckians.

Let the games, begin!
cool.gif
</div></div>

Hahaha!

Explanation:

I grew up in Buffalo, watched Hockey Night in Canada every Saturday as a kid, so i became a Vancouver fan, therefore getting the nickname "Canuck" in school. Obviously it stuck...

ETA: But seriously guys, wondering this for a legitimate reason. I figured this would be a decent resource to get answers on protection level required.

While I never worked for a small defense company I can only wonder just how pogue an outfit has to be to not have anyone on staff to first give better parameters to the question, second not already have the answer.

Guess every geek is trying to get in on the 'contractor' money.

I'm pretty positive that most insurgent snipers are using Soviet made SVD's, Romanian PSL-54's and Chinase NDM-86 type weapons. I've also heard some Mosin Nagants and other WWII era rifles being used. These usually come equipped with military PSO scopes and are chambered in 7.62x54R. The rounds used are usually FMJs made for military use. Most of the insurgents are equipped with some AK variant that is chambered in 7.62x39 but these are not snipers. I'm not in the military but that is what I gathered over the years talking to friends that have been overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan.

It would be also safe to assume that both have mild steel cores, unless bullets are APs, in which case penetration capabilities are sufficiently greater.

This kind of info is actually a common knowledge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kortik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be also safe to assume that both have mild steel cores, unless bullets are APs, in which case penetration capabilities are sufficiently greater.

This kind of info is actually a common knowledge.

</div></div>

Kortik,

That was what I was trying to find out, if they are mainly mild steel core or AP. If they're mainly mild steel, you have answered my question. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I never worked for a small defense company I can only wonder just how pogue an outfit has to be to not have anyone on staff to first give better parameters to the question, second not already have the answer.

Guess every geek is trying to get in on the 'contractor' money. </div></div>

You're an ass.

I've done 2 tours in Iraq. One with the JSOTF during the war, and one as a private contractor after the war.

I don't care if it's a Medal of Honor awardee or some "Pogue" trying to get in on some contractor money, if they can make a product that will protect me from an insurgents sniper bullet more power to them, hallelujah, and pass the kool aid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so the guy that gets shot at by the uncommon one is SOL? </div></div>

Well, it depends on how uncommon it is. I know you guys don't want to carry around a lot of extra weight. If AP isnt a threat, it could decrease the weight significantly of this product, thus making it more likely that it will be carried instead of left home.

And 18Echo, I appreciate your response. I've gone to many trade shows and have had soldiers come up to me and say our products saved their lives, or their buddies lives. That's what we love to hear. Thanks.

Agree with the above, that the 7.62x54R is the most common "sniper round" and that 7.62x39mm was the "most common" round. In my personal experience, after unloading captured SVD and PSL magazines, was that the use of actual AP rounds (with black painted tips) was much more common that I was expecting. The communist bloc AP rounds have a machined steel penetrator, similar to NATO AP bullets, and I would expect similar performance from these bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longebow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agree with the above, that the 7.62x54R is the most common "sniper round" and that 7.62x39mm was the "most common" round. In my personal experience, after unloading captured SVD and PSL magazines, was that the use of actual AP rounds (with black painted tips) was much more common that I was expecting. The communist bloc AP rounds have a machined steel penetrator, similar to NATO AP bullets, and I would expect similar performance from these bullets. </div></div>

So AP is a possible threat. Best bet is to go NIJ IV then. Thanks.

7.62X54R AP in Helmand. Found a few caches with boxes of that shit courtesy of Afghanistan's neighbor to the west.

164832_10150359575755510_536000509_16559525_7633455_n.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCCCanuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longebow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agree with the above, that the 7.62x54R is the most common "sniper round" and that 7.62x39mm was the "most common" round. In my personal experience, after unloading captured SVD and PSL magazines, was that the use of actual AP rounds (with black painted tips) was much more common that I was expecting. The communist bloc AP rounds have a machined steel penetrator, similar to NATO AP bullets, and I would expect similar performance from these bullets. </div></div>

So AP is a <span style="text-decoration: line-through">possible</span> <span style="color: #FF0000">PROBABLE</span> threat. Best bet is to go NIJ IV <span style="color: #FF0000">and an armored vehicle</span> then. Thanks.</div></div> Fixed it for you. And armor piercing... does....