• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Integrally suppressed 10/22 barrels / builds

SBRSarge

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2019
I’m getting bored building AR15s.

I’m thinking of building an integrally suppressed 10/22.

I foresee it to be mostly shot with subsonic ammo for assassinating English sparrows around the house.

Accuracy goal is to be on par with my suppressed Savage FV-SR; 50 yard groups of about .75 inch.

Gemtech, Suppressed Weapon Systems and, I think LIberty, make integralLy suppressed barrels. Does anyone have experience with any of these or any others?

Also, I have zero experience building or shooting the 10/22. Is it worth buying an aftermarket action and trigger group as far as accuracy is concerned? Or do I just find a donor Ruger to part out.

Thanks in advance.

My experience is the stock action is a fine start, once the cleaning hole is drilled. Trigger and most other parts are best after market. Great idea for a thread. Looking forward to following it.

Thanks Downtown. I’m hoping for a great info dump for me to absorb!

Look into Brimstone gunsmithing for trigger work.
I have several of them and they make shooting enjoyable.

Budget will drive it but if it were me

action - full Kidd or TacInc left handed side charger with Kidd 2 stage.

stock would be up to you but I like the KKC stock

barrel would be something like the TBA trooper 22

or Thompson machine operative

Last edited:
I appreciate all who have posted so far.

I’d not heard of the TBA or Thompson Machine barrels. That adds more options for me to ponder.

I have noticed that most integral suppressed barrel makers tout how quiet their barrels are, but there is not as much said on how well they group.

Anyone have some experience with this?

I got a Gemtech Mist TD (takedown) which I first put in a stock Ruger 10/22 takedown setup (trigger, bolt, receiver) but with a Magpul Backpacker stock and Leupomd 2-7 rimfire scope. Tried a variety of ammo (CCI std, Gemtech subsonic, Fed match etc) but couldn’t get it to shoot under 2” at 50yds.
Upgraded to a BX trigger (which will soon go to Brimstone for a tier 2 job), Brownells BR22TD receiver and Midwest Industries chassis & rail system. Tinkered with the action screws and barrel tensioning ring and it’s now shooting at or right under an inch at 50 yds. The integrally barrel is very quiet with subs, about the same as my 16” Tacsol setup with Tacsol Axiom can. (Btw that Tacsol build has a Kidd trigger which is SWEET!). I’ll try to get some pics posted up soon.....

ETA....
54E4DF51-72E3-4107-B075-136D89A44F31.jpeg
8E7FE21F-684F-41EF-9A32-F828CC6EACF4.jpeg

Last edited:
I appreciate all who have posted so far.

I’d not heard of the TBA or Thompson Machine barrels. That adds more options for me to ponder.

I have noticed that most integral suppressed barrel makers tout how quiet their barrels are, but there is not as much said on how well they group.

Anyone have some experience with this?

Can't find the post but there was a guy that would take whatever 10/22 barrel you had and make and integral out of it and port it too. Always was tempted to send in a Kidd bull barrel and have him work on it but if I remember correctly Kidd said that cutting his barrels would degrade the accuracy (I asked if I could cut one down to a different length than he offered).

It's hard to find groups posted with integrals. Look up who Vudoo is using for theirs. They posted some groups on their integral on FB or IG

Wish I'd waited on the TD Mist before getting the fixed one. Of course I wish for a lot of things!

Almost went this route a number of years ago before common sense kicked in.

1) Big drawback is "IF" your suppressed barrel assembly doesn't shoot worth a crap then you are stuck with it unless you want to spend big $$$ attempting to fix it. (I don't know if replacing the barrel in an integral is ok or if that is creating a new suppressor with the involved paperwork, SOT issues) Much safer bet to just get a threaded barrel from a known good mfgr and a separate can, easier to replace a bad barrel than an integrated barrel/can. Would need an accuracy guarantee of some sort before buying, good luck with that.

2) A separate can may be used on several hosts, both pistol and rifle.

3) Cleaning of an integral might be a real challenge, carbon locked baffles might be something to research first.

4) You'll still get some port noise when the action cycles, my bolt action 22's are quieter then my 10/22 actions with the same suppressor used between them. A couple of my rifles shoot better with a suppressor attached (harmonic tuning).

I've just come across too many examples of ppl not being happy with accuracy from the integrated units to take a chance. My NFA dealer even said he wouldn't carry them anymore because of complaints of mediocre accuracy in both the Gemtech and Huntertown Arms (out of business now, IIRC) versions that he sold. I believe Orkan has a good write up somewhere about his experience with an integral and there are some more over at rimfire central.

IF overall short length is the goal, I'd just SBR the receiver and put a 6" or 10" threaded KIDD + can = 11-16" OAL.

These are all my opinions, your $ to do with what you want

All very good & valid points laid out above. I went thru much of the same reasoning, but when I saw the opportunity to snag a Mist TD a couple years ago for $325 shipped to my dealer I decided wtf and rolled the dice.. So the add’l cost of the single stamp Mist over a 2 stamp suppressed sbr 10/22 was $125 - worth the gamble to me. I knew that TD’s aren’t inherently accurate but I’ve got other 10/22’s and a couple b/a CZ’s for that. This one was intended to be more of a tin can/steel plate/armadillo whacker. With the Burris FF rds its definitely not the most accurate rimfire I have, but it’s the most fun and the one in the lineup that friends/family want to shoot the most.

But yes Tiger brings up some good points above. If I didn’t already have other suppressed .22 variations, and if I hadn’t found what I considered a good deal, the decision would have been more difficult.

Still absorbing info, thanks!

Looking into the Vudoo, as Frankr suggested, I think it was a KG Made barrel. I found this.... (https://elevatedsilence.com/eos-xl-22r/) that looks to be close. Kind of intriguing. I’m not worried about super short, so maybe the 20” overall barrel isn’t a problem.

I thought hard about an integral v threaded barrel. I haven’t ruled that out either, but I already havea Warlock II and GM-22 on other hosts. I’m kind of looking for a more streamlined look on this one. Still, the point is a good one as Tioger and fanninland point out.