• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interarms Mark X...worth rebarreling?

lancetkenyon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2012
Glendale, AZ
So, I just found out my 11 year old daughter drew an AZ bull elk tag. I want to ensure she has a good rifle to hunt with this fall.

My rifle in question:

I have an old Interarms Mark X in .270Win (my very first hunting rifle ever) that shoots about 1-1.25MOA that has always been my loaner rifle to friends/family when needed.
It has a KDF muzzle break already installed on a stock 24" barrel (so recoil is quite manageable by my kids, about like the .250 Ackley I have).
Hand loads are 140gr. Berger VLDs @ about 3055fps.
Crappy old composite stock, no bedding, no aluminum pillars, non free-floated barrel channel
Crappy 4.5-14x50 Cabela's scope.
Trigger work on stock trigger to about 3.5#.

My question is this...

Should I get a new B&C Medalist stock (Mauser stocks are kind of hard to find) with full aluminum bedding block and free floated barrel channel (about $250) and a new mid range scope (about $700-1000) for the current gun? Should I try the stock and glass upgrades first to see if there is an improvement in the accuracy?
Should I consider re-barreling with a high quality barrel w. muzzle brake in .280Rem (or similar) and still install a stock and glass?
Is worrying about an Interarms Mark X (Mauser 98 LA) even worth it? I hardly ever see anything about Mausers anywhere.

Most of my other rifles are Rem 700s, and they all shoot lights out.

Funny thing though, this rifle has taken more big game than any other rifle I have....two elk, 4 mulies, and a javelina....all shot by others. I have never taken game with it for some reason.

Typing this kind of helped my decision unless I get an outpouring of "don't waste your time on a Mauser". Then I have more decisions to make.

So, I just found out my 11 year old daughter drew an AZ bull elk tag. I want to ensure she has a good rifle to hunt with this fall.

My rifle in question:

I have an old Interarms Mark X in .270Win (my very first hunting rifle ever) that shoots about 1-1.25MOA that has always been my loaner rifle to friends/family when needed.
It has a KDF muzzle break already installed on a stock 24" barrel (so recoil is quite manageable by my kids, about like the .250 Ackley I have).
Hand loads are 140gr. Berger VLDs @ about 3055fps.
Crappy old composite stock, no bedding, no aluminum pillars, non free-floated barrel channel
Crappy 4.5-14x50 Cabela's scope.
Trigger work on stock trigger to about 3.5#.

My question is this...

Should I get a new B&C Medalist stock (Mauser stocks are kind of hard to find) with full aluminum bedding block and free floated barrel channel (about $250) and a new mid range scope (about $700-1000) for the current gun? Should I try the stock and glass upgrades first to see if there is an improvement in the accuracy?
Should I consider re-barreling with a high quality barrel w. muzzle brake in .280Rem (or similar) and still install a stock and glass?
Is worrying about an Interarms Mark X (Mauser 98 LA) even worth it? I hardly ever see anything about Mausers anywhere.

Most of my other rifles are Rem 700s, and they all shoot lights out.

Funny thing though, this rifle has taken more big game than any other rifle I have....two elk, 4 mulies, and a javelina....all shot by others. I have never taken game with it for some reason.

Typing this kind of helped my decision unless I get an outpouring of "don't waste your time on a Mauser". Then I have more decisions to make.

Nothing at all wrong with mauser actions. Leave it alone and keep hunting with it. In the ranges she should shoot at, it is plenty accurate.

There are several options, but here is what I would do, sans buying a whole new rifle.

You already have a muzzle brake on the rifle and it does shoot minute of Elk.

Pillar bed the cheap stock, chop the rear down for a 12.5" LOP, let her help you paint the stock.

Your current load is good to 400Y on Elk, maybe find a lower node to help reduce the recoil even more. 2800 fps will take you right to 300Y on CPX3 game.

Spend the money on a better optic. Something with a quick type reticle or maybe a VXr (red dot point and shoot).

My youngest Daughters Mauser in 7x57,

dsc06095vr.jpg

Those 98 actions are rock solid, god knows they've made millions. They are every bit as good as any modern rifle, the barrel may be shot but if it shoots then shoot it. You can buy tons of classic wood stocks to put it in. Pretty well anybody could rebarrel it in a medium caliber if you want. I'd say keep it, even if you keep it like it is. Those controlled round feed actions are tanks, huge extractors, simple ejectors, stock triggers are questionable but that can be swapped. Up to you how much you want to spend either way i'd keep it in service.

Thanks for the info. New stock and glass it is.

My daughter had a dance recital tonight and I waited to tell her about the successful draw until after the show.....she freaked out! She is super exited.

I will start a thread in the hunting section chronicling the season from scouting to practice to the hunt if anyone is interested. I am super stoked for this. Already got two buddies who will be helping scouting and during the hunt, and one of them has a cabin about 5 miles from the unit! The offer to use it has already been made. Going to be a great year even before the hunt! Time in the field with your kids and good friends is as good as it gets.

Mauser action rifles have stacked up plenty of fake wood in all types of competitions over the years and you can go to the Williamsport 1000yd Benchrest website and see a Mauser in the top 10 quite often. Id say theyre not giving up anything to Remingtons and the like as long as they got a good barrel, good optics, good load, good shooter, etc. and BR is arguably the most accuracy-driven competition in the shooting sports community.

I know I'm late to the party but go for it, for a hunting rifle go with a bartlein 9 twist from grizzly, chamber it in 280 ackley, stock up on 160 accubonds, get the bell and Carlson or go and get a McMillan, get a rail base and some decent rings. and a Tubbs speed lock firing pin and the come fall there will hopefully be an elk in the freezer and a six by six horns and cape at the taxidermist;)
I have built several rifles off commercial Mausers, and when tuned properly they are accurate reliable game getting machines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love those Mark X actions,,,at one time you could get the barreled action w/o a stock and get a Fajen and a Timney trigger and have a very nice rifle,,

First rifle i had rebarreled was a MK X. Had ER Shaw retube it with a varmint contour in 6.5x55. Believe it or not, even with the flimsy stock ( B&C without aluminum block), that dog does sub 1" at 100 with nigh unto any load I have ginned up for it.

U only live once. To get an, elk tag, to take your daughter on an elk hunt is priceless. I would do everything to make sure it's a hunt of lifetime and if I could afford a better rifle or scope or binoculars or...... I would do it. I also would get her as much practice as possible with the rifle and setup you plan to use.

Last edited: