• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interchangeable-Uppers and Lowers

SmokeStyx

Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Alabama
It is confusing to me with all the different upper and lower combinations available for the AR type firearm.In my case,I have an Armalite AR-10,a S&W AR-15,and a Bushmaster AR-15.I see a lot of uppers and lowers I would be interested in as upgrades,(Larue,Noveske etc..)but I am not sure if they will interchange with my stock set ups.Your in-put will be appreciated,Thanks in advance.

Re: Interchangeable-Uppers and Lowers

All AR15 upper/lowers are interchangeable.
The only consideration is the Colt large hole upper/lowers.
FCGs[fire control groups] are also interchangeable,again Colt did have a large hole FCG at one time.
Butt stocks have a 2 extensions ie buffer tubes,a commercial version and a milspec. So watch buying a collapsible stock.
Magpul's UBR comes complete with a proprietary buffer tube,just add buffer and spring.

Thanks,can the caliber be changed,ex:I have a .308 rifle,the coversions need to stay.308?

.308 can be any of the .308 based calibers as far as I know.
ie .260,,.243,,GAP will know better on those.
The AR10s are not interchangeable with AR15

there are TONS of wild cat uppers for both the AR10 and AR15 platforms that include bolt action uppers for the big bores. As long as you dont have a goofy colt lower, you should be able to make almost EVERYTHING work with the exception of a few that take special mags. i love the versatility of being able to carry 3 different uppers in one case and swap from .223 to .300OSSM to .408CT in 10 seconds.

I believe the Remington R5s are compatible with the DPMS lowers as are the Futon Armory Titans.