• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Interchanging scopes among different rifles

phlii

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2007
Portland, Oregon aka Hippyville!
Does anybody do this?

I think this would be one way to get the most use out of an expensive optic. In my case, it would give me a chance to save up for additional scopes yet still enjoy the rifles I have. I know I would have to keep good data on adjustments so I could return to the zeros for different rifles.

If anybody has experience doing this, I would be glad to hear about it. Especially opinions on using 1 piece mounts with rings vice the more traditional two separate rings.

Re: Interchanging scopes among different rifles

I have a VXIII at home that I do this with, when I get a new stick I will put it on there to see what it will do. I know this scope tracks 100% so far so it helps a bit.

The first couple of times you do it is ok, but it turns into a real pain. I'm shifting a NF between two rifles right now.

A couple ways to do this...

Buy a Bushnell 74-3333 boresighter with collimation screen. The optic device has a grid with markings that will let you record where your zeros are with each rifle you are swapping scopes to. Keep a log book? Good reason to do so. Mount your scope, insert the bushnell tool and dial scope reticle to your pre-determined zero.

Can also use color-coded dots of nail polish on your turrets. Dot of same color elevation/windage for each rifle... You get the idea. Acetone removes the dots when you're done or make a change.

If you want to make an bullet impact dial, the 74-3333 to set your zero and then a set of dials for your turrets marked with paint-pen or nail-polish and you can swap reliably for several functions besides zero...

phlii - I presently share 4 good scopes over about 10 hunting rifles. I set up all the rifles with Weaver or Picatinny rails. It was expensive and difficult, as I had to find reliable providers for rails for all my rifles. Once I had rails on all the rifles, I mounted all my best scopes on Warne QD rings, and I zeroed every scope on every rifle. So I have a table that shows zeroes for each (scope, rifle) pair.

Now, when I take a rifle out of the safe, I decide which scope I will mount on it, put it on, look up the zero info in the table and dial it in, and I am good to go. At the end of the day, I take off the scope, clean it up and put it away before cleaning the rifle.

Early on, I carefully tested the first few pairs to make sure I was not losing zero. They were all good within less than 0.5 moa (could have been me). After the first few I have not tested any further. For hunting/ plinking purposes this works very well for me.

All,

These are good ideas. Thanks.

With the large number of high quality scopes, rings and bases available, I would think repeatability would be pretty good.

Is there any reason to go with a one piece mount with rings over two separate rings?

Phlii - sorry - missed your question... I can understanding it in 2 ways.

1) rail vs/ 2-piece bases. Yes, there is a good reason to go with a rail. The scopes you might interchange across multiple rifles might not have the same spacing between the rings. It would be likely impossible to have all your scopes fit exactly the precise spacing you would need to decide on for your 2-piece bases. Even a 1-piece base might not be enough, since you might need the selection of mounting positions and spacings that a rail offers. If you want to interchange scopes, you really need a rail, unless you are very lucky or careful with your selection of scopes.

2) removable 1-piece mount vs 2 QD rings. I cannot prove it, but I figure that a good removable 1-piece mount will preserve zero better. But the weight penalty is significant. Since I really interchange scopes on hunting rifles, the precision of 2 QD rings is enough for me. If I were doing this for bench shooting tat would be different - I probably would not interchange at all... But if I wanted to, I would probably try a high-end 1-piece mount.

I do this with my premier. I switch it between a few rifles. I just make sure to use the same slots and torque the rings that same and I keep my zero. Really helps having the tooless zero function. I could not afford another scope of this quality. I don't even know how I afforded it the first time so I Want to use it as much as possible, I would put it on my 629 if I could find a mout for it.

It's doable if you need to.

Use index marks on the base and mount to ensure you get the mount in the same alignment.

Log the offset in the databook for each weapon.

It's simple if you have the scope "zeroed" for one weapon and then note the offset for the second.

If you want to run the scope "zeroed" for each rifle then you need to make sure you keep track of which way you are swapping.

The new IOR's have a second zero function so if you are going between 2 rifles you can have both zeros setup on one scope.