• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interest in an aftermarket Savage pattern short action?

Wicked Weapons

GunPlumber
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2010
Ohio
This topic is relevant to my interests but I don't want to dilute it. http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-savage-made-into-competent-tactical-gun.html

DISCLAIMER: I work for companies that build precision rifles and gun parts.

I'm designing a Savage based a project for a different purpose, but much of the design criteria would apply to 'tactical match' and 'long range hunters/shooters' as well. If there is any aftermarket/custom Savage type action currently available, I'm not finding it. Your thoughts on why? The excellent Savage target action is the lone option but it isn't a repeater.

Would there be commercial interest in a quality aftermarket Savage pattern action? Something you could really run hard and be confident shooting. 17-4ph SS, precision ground OD, wire EDM raceways, ect. Price would be comparable to purchasing a complete Savage donor gun, but you would be putting the same dough into a precision quality action, and not a standard rifle with a barrel and stock you'll just crap can. Same principle as the aftermarket Remington action builders, except with a few tools you can assemble a precision bolt gun yourself "in your bathrobe at home" much like an AR-15. This would include the already good Savage bolt and let the customer select a trigger. My hope is that better trigger options will pop up or ..... I don't know. The guy who designs a really great Savage trigger will be the real winner, much bigger market. I need to get cracking on that one!

I'm a fan of most of the basic Savage design, but see room for real quality & tolerance improvement. I already have the action modeled up and it wouldn't be a stretch to program and cut it. Unfortunately, not sure if there is justification for doing so besides I want some for myself. Thoughts, opinions and even facts are welcome.

Hmm.. I have pondered this exact question!

I guess looking at it the main issue is the fact that Savage change their action sizes...4.4, 4.2 etc so it makes it a pain when looking for the right sized screw spacing for Stocks. I know that a custom rifle is likely to have a nice Stock made for the Action.

I personally would like to see one... I have had issues with the SA feeds on .223 and 22-250 until I changed the bottom metal and mag out to CDI or something similar... they just kept slamming into the feed ramp and getting stuck... Not so on the long action.

Man, a slick custom Savage clone would be sweet!! Would you be looking into PTG or SSS style fluted bolts too?

I'm a huge Savage fan myself. In the event of purchasing a custom action, however, I would rather have a Remington pattern. If desired, there are companies producing Remington barrel nuts and the appropriate barrels. In addition to that, there is a better aftermarket support for Remingtons, to include both stocks and triggers. I'm sorry, I just don't see what problem a Savage pattern custom action would solve. Besides the barrel nut, what advantages would this action provide over other customs?

Not sure I see the point in a aftermarket Savage Action....isn't the entire point of the platform that it is cheap? At that point just buy a aftermarket remmy.....and have a lot better options in the field of aftermarket stuff.

Ideally, a Remington foot-printed Action (ie Stocks, triggers, DBM's etc) with a floating Bolt Head and threaded to accept Savage barrels would be the best of both worlds.

Ideally, a Remington foot-printed Action (ie Stocks, triggers, DBM's etc) with a floating Bolt Head and threaded to accept Savage barrels would be the best of both worlds.

+1 For that guy^^

The real reason savages have a following isn't because they are cheap...its because they are pretty much %100 DIY. Anyone with a little mechanical aptitude can swap a prefit on. If it was only because it was cheap, everyone would just buy a 700 since they aren't really anymore expensive.

I would love someone to build a Remington foot printed action, with the savage floating bolt head design and savage barrel set up. Throw a CRF style Pre-64 style bolt and safety and a coned breach.... I would just about nut.

Savage already is in the works of releasing a target repeater, but Im going out on a limb without seeing it and guessing that it wont address the shitty trigger design.

It would nice to have the Remington aftermarket selection, DIY savage barrel swap ability and the smooth running of a pre-64.
It would be a tall task and take some development, but I cant see why those features could not be incorporated into one action.

I'd be willing to spend $1000-1500 depending on the overall quality for an action.

Last edited:
Unless you can address the bolt lift and do some different triggers I wouldn't see a need. That doesn't mean there isn't a market for one though. I have a Savage Target Action and with a McGowen pre fit it is the most accuate rifle I own right now. I think its also the cheapest. Not being a repeater doesn't really bother me at this point because there really isn't a need for the repeater in the matches we have around here. Its pretty funny seeing all these AI's and high dollar customs with a single shot follower in the magazine. I think if you did a Savage action with an integral lug, that would be cool, more thread engagement anf one less thing to mess up when changing a barrel.

+1

Agreed. Yea, this is pretty much where I am with the general idea. But, this seems too easy, like chery-picking. Someone should have built this 20 years ago already.

Why hasn't it been done? Would there be any down side? Incorporating the Remmy trigger seems like the worst of it.

Last edited:

Isn't that a Bighorn action?

Agreed. Yea, this is pretty much where I am with the general idea. But, this seems too easy, like chery-picking. Someone should have built this 20 years ago already.

Why hasn't it been done? Would there be any down side? Incorporating the Remmy trigger seems like the worst of it.

As has been stated above, Shilen has their DGR made by Stiller. Only down side is that the bolt heads are not changeable. Also much more expensive than a "Savage Donor rifle"

I do not recall noticing the shilen action before. A stiller action using a remington footprint, floating bolt head and savage prefit barrel should have made some noise and at $950 I gotta wonder.......what's wrong with it, why didn't it make waves?

It's hard to say how much of the market would be interested, but I would.

Savage only offers the action I'd want in the LRP and BA rifles. Despite the model designation difference, 12 for the LRP, and 10 for the BA, they are the same. These are the blued version of the now discontinued LRPV DBM repeater that came in stainless steel.

The Model 10/110's are a dime-a-dozen. People use them because they are available. I suspect that if the closed top repeater action of the LRP/BA style were available a significant portion of builders would chose them over the 10/110's. I'd like to build another but I'll only do it with the closed top receiver - and they are about as rare as hens teeth.

If there was an aftermarket version of the LRP action I think it would be good for Savage. I can't figure out why they just can't leave good enough alone, i.e., top bolt release, 4.40 screw spacing, large shank, done. Sure, some improvements could be made tweakin' this and that but for crying out loud...

B

As has been stated above, Shilen has their DGR made by Stiller. Only down side is that the bolt heads are not changeable. Also much more expensive than a "Savage Donor rifle"

Interesting, the DGR is close. But at almost 1 large (plus trigger), not where I was wanting to take this.

Was thinking that by using a 'stock' complete Savage bolt assembly ($109 MSRP) and including a SSS competition trigger ($99 MSRP) that might keep things right in line with a donor gun price.

This has me interested, but like normal I am short changed being a lefty.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I did make a small run of Bighorn short actions with Savage small shank threads. I still have a few around if anyone is interested.
AJ

Sure.......I have not bought any hardware besides optics and powder in over a year and this comes up three days after I order two savage hog hunter donor rifles. Now I gotta figure out if I can push a third action into my budget or what to sell. It may take a bit but I'll have to see if I can take you up on it.

This has me interested, but like normal I am short changed being a lefty.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

From Shilen's website. There is hope for us yet. BTW, the Shilen is just a Stiller action made to Shilen's specs.

DGR Action - Repeater
Options:
Short Right Bolt, Right Port
Short Left Bolt, Left Port
Long Right Bolt, Right Port
Long Left Bolt, Left Port

+1 For that guy^^

The real reason savages have a following isn't because they are cheap...its because they are pretty much %100 DIY. Anyone with a little mechanical aptitude can swap a prefit on. If it was only because it was cheap, everyone would just buy a 700 since they aren't really anymore expensive.

I would love someone to build a Remington foot printed action, with the savage floating bolt head design and savage barrel set up. Throw a CRF style Pre-64 style bolt and safety and a coned breach.... I would just about nut.

Savage already is in the works of releasing a target repeater, but Im going out on a limb without seeing it and guessing that it wont address the shitty trigger design.

It would nice to have the Remington aftermarket selection, DIY savage barrel swap ability and the smooth running of a pre-64.
It would be a tall task and take some development, but I cant see why those features could not be incorporated into one action.

I'd be willing to spend $1000-1500 depending on the overall quality for an action.

You mean something like this? Straight from the factory! DSCN2239.JPG

I don't think a Remington tarted up with Savage features is the best of both worlds; I think the current Savage action, as is, is the best of most worlds.

If they were to improve on it, I'd have them make the Accu-Stock bedding assembly accessible to aftermarket stock makers, but that's really not something I expect to see happen soon. The Savage custom action is a very nice action already, is available ready to build upon, and is used on their factory Target and F Class rifles, which are often at the head of the pack.

As for bolt lift, I have never personally seen a need for modifying the Savage with that regard. Bolt lift is bolt lift, no two brands are the same.

I would say that I'd prefer the Savage over the Remington factory actions, based on my limited knowledge of production tolerances.

So, in my mind, there's not any really great advantage to duplicating the Savage action, the original is quite good enough for my needs.

Greg

Last edited:
The only real advantage wood be stock selection, but that could be cured just as well by certain chassis makers building for savage actions.
That would be greatly improved if savage would stop changing. They have evolved greatly, I hope they stabilize for a while.
There are plenty of good options but there are some available for rem that are not for savage.

Is that the new Target repeater? Looks nice.

This is a FCP-SR that Savage built for me. I'm a lefty an wanted one of these so I called Savage an this is what I got. Its a left bolt, right port, target action with Accurate-Mag bottom metal. Had them spin on a 26" barrel chambered in a 260 threaded for a suppressor. It is a shooter!

I did make a small run of Bighorn short actions with Savage small shank threads. I still have a few around if anyone is interested.
AJ

Damnit! Had I known this a few months ago you would currently have one less. The Savage 10FCP McMillan goes on sale tomorrow!

FWIW:

I have an "old style" flat rear savage 16 in LH stainless.

McMillan can fit a savage into any action that they can fit a Rem 700 action.

This is a Mc Millan classic in GAP camo.

Since this photo was taken, I have fitted it with CDI precision bottom metal.

The OLD STYLE action was a true staggered feed magazine. I use BOTH AICS and AI AW magazines in this rifle.

That was be a nice feature to have.

I am about done with this barrel. It will go to Bartlein in August for some work and a new tube.

If I was buying a savage pattern custom, I would want to AICS / CDI bottom metal included AND a left hand option.

Honestly, I would just build really good LEFT HANDED actions. I bet there is a good niche market.

I would LOVE to build a 300 win mag in LEFT HAND to match the current rifle and go out past 1,000 yards.

RIFLE

photo_zps26f18eb7.jpg

BMT

Honestly, I would just build really good LEFT HANDED actions. I bet there is a good niche market.

I would LOVE to build a 300 win mag in LEFT HAND to match the current rifle and go out past 1,000 yards.

BMT

I called Stiller to see if they would thread a TAC-300 for the Savage thread pattern, Jerry answered the phone and told me that he makes the actions for Shilen and they are EXACTLY what I am looking for. The Shilen actions are Basically a Stiller TAC-30 or TAC-300 (right or left bolt) threaded for Savage small shank pre fit barrels, the actions also have PT&G floating bolt heads so you can go from a 30-06 to a 300WM if you have the tools and a bench. Change your own barrels- check, change boltfaces for std and magnum cartridges- check, Stiller machining quality and tolerances- check, Remington footprint action so you can use any Remmy compatible stock or chassis- check, being able to use any of the many Savage pre fit barrels on the market (inc Lothar Walther)- check.

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.

There is some wrong with the pic of the actions on Shilen home page.

This could get very interesting, I have been looking at the shilen website, thimking I need a 7-08/243 switch barrel