• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Interested in learning... ballistic range card ?'s

subwofer2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2009
MN
Hi Folks,

New guy here. I've been deployed since April and will be returning to the states in a few weeks or less. I hail from WI but moved for school where I met my wife and now am a resident of MN.

I’ve spent time using the Long Range Shooting 2 Trainer/Game. Simulations have taught me a lot in life and this program seems to rate up there with some flight simulators. I have a professional flight degree and a handful of ratings… another topic maybe.

I've purchased a very nice early Federal Ordnance M1A (692X) as well as a Falcon Optics Menace 4-14x44mmFFP (M14ml). I’d like to learn some mid to long range shooting tactics and figured this will be a nice place to start. I understand my M1A will not be a tack driver but for me it should be good enough. Most of my collection has revolved around the AK platform. I like optics, something about being closer to the target I guess, adds to my shooting experience/enjoyment.

I’d imagine my scope selection is more than I will need on the M1A but after a fair amount of research I decided the M16 reticule and Mil/Mil turrets were for me. The FFP will certainly make range estimation a cinch. I envision placing 1m targets scattered on farms land and taking up firing position for an average range session. As you can see, I’m into the metric system. It seems like a fairly easy place to start for me. I use the imperial system for everything else in life but for shooting I almost always speak metric.

I don’t have a lot of money for this hobby, in fact, the only reason I can play like this are the deployments.

I have my eye on an ammo purchase but I’m holding out for just a little longer waiting to see if prices might slip a little more. The manufacture states they test all lots for performance to less than 1 MOA and they are approved to supply ammo to the US troops, good for me.

confused.gif
How do I go about developing a range card with correct elevation and windage adjustments for my rifle? I do not have a chronographer or the ability to reload. Are there any free software programs which I can enter the manufactures data and my barrel length to determine this information?
Thanks for the assistance!

Thought I should also add, the mount sold with the rifle is a mated Sadlak.

Re: Interested in learning... ballistic range card ?'s

Do a search for free ballistic calculator.This will get you started.IMO jbm is the best one and it is free.just punch in your stats and it will give you your firing solution pretty closley nobodies will be spot on perfect but it will get you in the ball park.Remember practice,practice,practice......
Good luck. and thanks for your service......

sub....don't take this wrong.....but what you got for equipment is.......well....lets just say you're stetting yourself up for epic fail.......i'm being charitable.

what you seek to accomplish will require a change of religion......i have mentored several to great aplomb......junk the m1a and ak boolit hose crap and invest in a decent bolt gun w/decent optics......"feel the force Luke"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sub....don't take this wrong.....but what you got for equipment is.......well....lets just say you're stetting yourself up for epic fail.......i'm being charitable.

what you seek to accomplish will require a change of religion......i have mentored several to great aplomb......junk the m1a and ak boolit hose crap and invest in a decent bolt gun w/decent optics......"feel the force Luke" </div></div>

frown.gif
I'm not hopping to replicate any 2-3" groups at 1000m or anything, just wanting to hit some man sized targets out to 600m to start. This will make me happy. The AKs are just for fun and might be out on their buttstocks in the next couple years, only time will tell.

Thanks!

here is how i do it:

zero at 100 yards

then shoot at 500 yards or so and write down how many mils it takes to get to 500 (or whatever distance you can shoot to)

then go to the JBM Ballistics site (google it)

in the bullet box (a drop-down box) select your bullet

select your guess as to muzzle velocity and enter the atmospheric conditions as accurately as possible

you will have to tweak the muzzle velocity from your estimate until it matches the real bullet drop (the mil adjustment it took you to get to the 500 or whatever distance you could shoot to)

make sure you play with the adjustments to get the data you want on the range card. i do mil in first column ect.

then go check it out at the range.

This is very helpful. Thank you again!