• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interested in LRI group buy-338 edge help

bodywerks

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2010
Tucson,Arizona
I don't want to hijack the group buy thread so I thought I'd get some advice here.
I've been tinkering with the idea of a 338 edge build. I was going to go all out with a custom action, but a trued Remington is more in my budget and Chad's offering right now is enticing. Here are my questions:
1. I was just going to buy a sacrificial Remington 700 chambered in 300RUM to get the .540 bolt face i need. The one i saw is only about $500 and i believe has an internal magazine. The question is-Will this action be strong enough for 338 edge, and will the receiver have to be re worked at all for detachable bottom metal???
I ask because the factory 338 variants are dubbed xcr or mlr and i wasn't sure if they were more 'stout' than a standard 700LA. Pardon my ignorance, my experience is with savage rifles...
2. Barrel- I want a 9.5-10 twist heavy target, heavy varmint, or #10mtu contour, but ideally I'd like it to be 30". It seems that the closest i can get without a full custom barrel order is the heavy varmint at 29". What do those of you with 338 edge experience recommend, and any hints on where to find one in stock? Krieger, bartlein, brux, obermyer, shilen whatever. I'm not a brand junky when it comes to match barrels.
Thanks in advance...
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

2. Barrel- I want a 9.5-10 twist heavy target, heavy varmint, or #10mtu contour, but ideally I'd like it to be 30". It seems that the closest i can get without a full custom barrel order is the heavy varmint at 29". What do those of you with 338 edge experience recommend, and any hints on where to find one in stock? Krieger, bartlein, brux, obermyer, shilen whatever. I'm not a brand junky when it comes to match barrels.

Bugholes or Bruno's.

Check
Grizzly Industrial. –Bartlein barrel vendor with over 1200 barrels in stock
3rd Generation Shooter Supply, Stocks a variety of barrels
Sinclair International. Another great resource for custom barrels.

Grizzly has
Bartlein Barrels NEW! T10559 .338 5R x 30" Finished, .330 x .338 Bore/Groove x 1-9.5 Twist - 1.250 x 5.00 taper to .900 Barrel
Bartlein Barrels NEW! T10558 .338 5R x 30" Finished, .330/.338 Bore/Groove x 1-9.5 Twist - 1.350 x 5.00 Taper to 1.00 Barrel
Bartlein Barrels T10483 .338 5R x 28" Finished, .330/.338 Bore/Groove x 1-9.5 Twist - Heavy Varmint Barrel

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks. Not as concerned about the barrel as i am the action.
Anyone with info on what to look for in an action? Anything that's a Remington 700LA is gtg? Or is there a heavier version for larger/higher energy chamberings such as the 338rum or edge??

Check out ..::Defensive Edge - Custom Gunsmithing::.. Shawn Carlock has spent more time with this chambering than anyone and he has built ALOT of edges on a Remington action. To be able to run this chambering as a repeater you will have to have the magazine well opened up with like a wyatts internal box mag or seekins dbm. If any doubts call Shawn and he will get you squared away with all the info you could want

Thanks! I read that earlier and it's why I'm considering this chambering. I've run 338lm before but I'm not interested in $2.50 pieces of brass(seems anything associated with the term 338 lapua comes with a little bit larger price tag) and want a little more velocity. The edge seems to fit the bill for me.
I guess if a standard 700 long action receiver will work I'll leave the rest to Chad at long rifles. He's already done a few 338 edge builds from what I've read.

You're fine, if you pick up a donor rifle in 300RUM it will be plenty stout to handle the Edge. I'd be more worried about deflection from a long, heavy barrel than anything. Due to the Edge's added length (the reason I went 338RUM instead) there will probably need to be some mods made to extend the OAL restrictions. Best bet would be to discuss it with Chad.

t

From what i have heard that the lapua brass holds up very well though. So you might be paying the same by the time you throw away the Remington brass. Not trying to sway you from the edge cuz i have one built on a savage and love it. However there is edge brass being made by Bertram and have heard great reviews on it.

From what i have heard that the lapua brass holds up very well though. So you might be paying the same by the time you throw away the Remington brass. Not trying to sway you from the edge cuz i have one built on a savage and love it. However there is edge brass being made by Bertram and have heard great reviews on it.

I'm leaning toward the edge for the added velocity as well. From what I've read is good for an extra 100ish fps.
And sacrificial rifles with a .540 bolt face are cheaper and easier to come across than those in a lapua mag bolt face. My experience with Remingtons is slim though - maybe changing the bolt face isn't that hard or expensive?
If i did lapua again it'd be an improved version of it.

The Bertram brass is supposed to be a Vast improvement over the Rem offerings. You are not going to see 100fps advantage over the Lapua without running higher pressure.

t

You're fine, if you pick up a donor rifle in 300RUM it will be plenty stout to handle the Edge. I'd be more worried about deflection from a long, heavy barrel than anything. Due to the Edge's added length (the reason I went 338RUM instead) there will probably need to be some mods made to extend the OAL restrictions. Best bet would be to discuss it with Chad.

t

Hmmm, never gave much thought to barrel deflection. Guess i figured that I've seen a lot of savage 110s handle heavy barrels just fine, and they only have two action screws. Is this really a legitimate concern? Not sure on my stock choice yet but wad leaning toward an xlr chassis. If i did a traditional stock it would of course be bedded.

Hmmm, never gave much thought to barrel deflection. Guess i figured that I've seen a lot of savage 110s handle heavy barrels just fine, and they only have two action screws. Is this really a legitimate concern? Not sure on my stock choice yet but wad leaning toward an xlr chassis. If i did a traditional stock it would of course be bedded.

No, it's really not going to be a problem, just a failed attempt at humor on my part.

The XLR is not going to allow for much mag space. The long AICS mags are 3.600. My RUM barely fits with a 300 SMK & wouldn't fit with a 300 Berger. I eventually sold my McRee due to this. You may research some more & find out if there is a way to make up a little OAL room.

t

Off topic, but since I'd be trying the action anyway, is it possible to just open up the bolt face to .590 if i decide to go 338 lapua? I already have familiarity with the round: loved it but hated the rifle that shot it (savage 110ba)

No, it's really not going to be a problem, just a failed attempt at humor on my part.

The XLR is not going to allow for much mag space. The long AICS mags are 3.600. My RUM barely fits with a 300 SMK & wouldn't fit with a 300 Berger. I eventually sold my McRee due to this. You may research some more & find out if there is a way to make up a little OAL room.

t

McCrees makes a 3.850 chassis system now.

XLR can proabably make one too.

Rem action is fine. As far as a repeater I always just shoot mine single shot.
Go 28" with 300 gr berger or smk at 2850 is a great combo.
You can get 5 reloads out of the Rem brass, or try the Bertrum brass which is great brass.

I have a couple of Edge rifles built on Remingtons. An 8.5 pound hunter (complete) and a 16 pound A-5 heavy rifle.
I had my mag box opened by a smith for the 300s. I got the box from Brownels...Did it about 10 years ago and cant recall the name.
Remington works just fine and is plenty strong.

Well i ordered that Bartlein 1.350-1.00 30" barrel.
After doing some more research and feeling that my last not so great experience with 338lm had more to do with the rifle (110ba) than the round, i have decided to go with the lapua.
Now my problem is the action. I'm starting to think a custom action is more feasible than buying a cheap sacrificial Remington or savage and hoping the action holds up.
Word on the street is the only savage action guaranteed to hold up to the 338lm is one already built for it (it is a large shank and some are saying the receiver is a different alloy), and the cheapest I've seen is the 111 at like $1100.
I'm not too familiar with Remingtons but it seems that even if you buy a cheap long action your gonna be a good $400 extra in getting it trued, opening up the bolt face(or getting a new bolt), mag well, and ejection port. Or am i misinformed?

I have a .338 Edge built off a trued 700 Sendero action with absolutely no problems. Mounted on that is a Benchmark 1:9.4" Sendero contour barrel (finishes with a muscle break at 30") sitting in a manners T4 with a Wyatt's 4" internal box and a Timney.