• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interested in the 7 STW

Longspring

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2011
Central Idaho
I've been hell bent for a while on getting one . I've seen Rugers , Rem and a few others around but haven't found a buy that had great lugs and non shot out throats . I was looking for opinions on going new with a factory job , just barreling an action or hunting for that classic that would make Jack O'connor proud .
My main use will be hunting and paper punching . Any input from the masters ??? And btw , I don't need a .300rum if that's what you're thinking . Thanks in advance .

Re: Interested in the 7 STW

My brother has a Sako in 7mm STW that he never shoots. If I remember correctly, it still shoots over 3k fps at 300 yards. He doesn't reload, so finding ammo can be a pain. I am definitely interested in what the pros have to say about this round.
grin.gif

So do I .
smile.gif
It may be the ultimate western round ( for me ) with everything between 3-4000 and flat as can be . I have a good supply of 8 mag brass , everything known to man in .284 and plenty of dies out there , just need the right rifle ! Oh and maybe advise...

There is a very nice Sako 7mm STW for sale in the guns classifieds that is a great deal.

Not to steal this thread but i have also been looking into the 7mm stw. Could someone with experience enlighten me on how the recoil equates to a 300 win mag or 270/30-06. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STI_1911_Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to steal this thread but i have also been looking into the 7mm stw. Could someone with experience enlighten me on how the recoil equates to a 300 win mag or 270/30-06. Thanks. </div></div>

I owned three 7STW's. Weatherby, Sendero and now the Sako that you can find in the classifieds. I also shoot a 300WM and load for my friends Tikka 300WM T3 lite. IMO, the 7STW has a sharper recoil than the 300WM. I equate the WM as a push while the STW is more of a slap. How bad? I never had a problem shooting the STW, it is very similar to the 7mm Rem Mag.According to the books, the STW has a 200fps (+/-) gain over the 7mm rem mag

If I were to build a big seven, I'd look into Berger's 195 grain EOL Hybrid. It would require a 1:8.5 twist IIRC

I own 2 300 win mags and 1 7mm STW. The 300s are heavy customs used for long range shooting but not much walking and the 7mm STW is a light weight factory hunting rifle that gets carried a lot. I have owned a factory 300 sporter and when comparing the 2 sporters I don't precieve a big difference in recoil. Having said that I wouldn't hand the rifle to someone that isn't experienced with a larger rifle.

You said that you want a rile to punch paper and hunt with and I can tell you that it will not take long to wear a barrell to the point that it needs set back or replaced depending on your expectation of performance. If your buying used don't worry about the shape the barrell is in if the price is right as you can always rebarrell. Good luck with your quest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longspring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And btw , I don't need a .300rum if that's what you're thinking . Thanks in advance</div></div>

Everyone needs a 300 RUM! :) My favorite gun in my safe.

I have a 7stw in the Rem sendero platform and love it. So if you go factory I can recommend that platform if you find one in good shape.

I went with the buy a good used foundation and rebarrel. After a lengthy discussion with Tim North (broughton barrels) I went with a 1:9 twist and he has never had a problem stabilizing 180's with it. As far as recoil, well I may end up with a brake but for now it'll be a 10-11lb (ready to shoot) rig with a good recoil pad and perhaps some mercury in the stock.

Give Robert Gradous a call. He uses the 7 STW a lot and is a huge fan of the cartridge. Considering he makes some of the best shooting rifle out there, he's a good man to discuss this with.

What kind of barrel life is one of these good for? Based on the lesser capacity 7s, my guess would be 1000!

Much depends on what you consider acceptable accuracy and how hot you let the barrel get. My sporter has a bunch of rounds on it but it's a hunting rifle and I only need enough accuracy to humanely take game. On a competition rifle most barrels need set back and recrowned by 1500 rounds for best results. That's not to say that the rifle won't shoot but it probably won't be a match winner.

Fast, Flat, Mean SOB!! For a hunting round its bada!! Target u can burn one up in no time!! One spring day we were out pdog hunting and a buddy brought his out.. so there we were, 204, several 223 and 243's for the long shots and this stw just sitting around. Well couple days latter a guy that lives 2 miles away from where we were shooting asks "what the hell was that one gun u guys were shooting"? when that thing went off it sucked the oxygen out of the air and the report was...... well not like the 243's!! Animal!! Several guys out here in the flat plains shootem and love'em! they are cool! mho they could be the best hunting round out there if u like the recoil! I have a gap built 270 wsm and shooting the 140 accubond @ 3200 rocks deer! i do have a 7mm saum being built for the mts hunts!!

i love mine. i love the flexibility in bullet weight. and the lighter recoil and flatter trajectory than a .300 win. i shoot the 139 hornady ssts a little over 3200 and it just lays out deer and pronghorn at 300-400.i sighth mine in 3 and 1/2 high at 100 and 25-400 aim dead on and you hit vitals. love it. mine is in a model 70. my dad has the same gun and loved his model 70 STW so much he rebarreled his .338 ultra mag to STW. anelope, deer, elk, bear, moose, you name it it can do it.

The 7x300 Weatherby is the ballistic equivalent - held 1000yd records at one time and would use Wea/Norma brass - while expensive, much better than STW brass.

I love mine and have taken mature bucks from 80 to 456 yards with it. Super flat shooting. I use custom loads with 140 gr Nosler ballistic tips right at 3500 fps. If its within 300 yds I aim for high shoulder bone/spine and if its longer I go for center of vitals.

Having such a flat shooting rifle makes proper placement easier and I have not lost a deer with it yet.

1128090809a.jpg

Mine is a Rem Sendero 7mag reamed to 7mmSTW

My dad has has the sendero and he burned the barrel out in about 1k rds. He rebarralled it to the stw again but regrets it. The problem is the brass life. He only gets about 3 firings before there is a case separation. (Remington brass). Another friend had the same problem and ended up just rechambering to 7 rum which seems to be alot easier to deal with since there is no belt on the case. That would be my recommendation over the stw.

I was about to ask why go 7mm STW when you could simply buy a 7mm RUM instead. Then I ran Quick Load and saw how much more efficient (Quick Load says) the 7mm STW is than the 7mm RUM. My only concern now regarding picking the 7mm STW would be the availability of brass. 7mm STW and it's parent case 8mm Remington Magnum don't seem to have brass nearly as available as the 7mm RUM does.

*Buy your own copy of QuickLoad HERE.

+1 to efficiency. It is an awesome cartridge. For hunting it is excellent. I took a bear with one last year at 550yds and my father took a mule deer and couese deer at 790yds this year. Recoil is pretty similar t a 300wm but in my opinion the 300wm has just a little more recoil. I wouldn't suggest a brake unless u just really hate recoil.

I use the 7mag and the 7stw, both are deadly weapons for hunting the 7stw picks up where the 7mag slows down. My STW is a Winchester model 70 and the only difference between it and the 7mag is the STW takes more powder. Case life for both belted magnums is the same because I reload everthing. If you do not reload it is costly and you just do not walk into your local sporting goods store and pick a box of ammo off of the shelf.

I don't shoot my 7mmSTW very many times per season but when I do it pays off in bone and meat. I do most of my practicing with 308. I shoot with the STW at the range but no where near as much as my other rifles so the cost isn't too bad.

It's great for hunting. 0-500 without adjusting a turret and not much hold over. My of my sets and stands are fairly sheltered from the wind. If it's really windy I get in the woods and use a handier rifle.

I've owned two and still have one as my backup elk rifle. Took a big 3 pt elk this year with it. IMO recoil is less than a 300wm/wsm. Its tough to tell the difference between my 7stw and my 7RM.
If you reload its a great hunting round.