• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interesting 40X, it kinda feels wrong for what I am thinking about doing to it.

Kells81

Slacker
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 15, 2006
    Granbury TX
    I picked this up figuring I would part it out and use the action for an upcoming project. I picked it up from my FFL today and now that I have it in hand it feels like I may be committing a crime of some sort. I picked up a nice KMW stock around here, this thing, and have a benchmark to go with it looking at swinging at a 7mm-08 setup. I have a cool old m40 mount laying around that almost fits and just drug it out for giggles to see how close it is.

34EBC9B2-4777-44AE-BE65-D79DD765AED6-2339836.jpg

AC42CA97-308F-4A02-A2D2-583BD4481B94-2339835.jpg

Do it. It appears that the bolt handle has already been changed out - so it's no longer factory. Also - I don't remember the front of the loading port having a relief cut.

Is the bolt handle not different because its a 722 40x instead of a 700?

And the front port relief is because its a clip slotted action.
    Not a 722 bolt handle, either ( look at the striations on the right underside - and - I believe the 722 bolt would have been straight ). Will agree with the possibility of the front port relief due to the clip slotting.

Reactions: spife7980
    It looks like you have a 40-X repeater as that might explain the front port relief as it is clip slotted just like the attached photo which is the left side of a 40-XC action.

This may not win me any Brownie points but if I remember correctly we still live in a country (This Ain't Russia Thankfully) where we are free to express our First Amendments Rights.

With that in mind my thoughts would lean toward what Supersubs, spife7980, and Gohring65 have posted. I have a deep appreciation/affection for the rifles and actions of the previous Century and for that matter Millennium. Many of the matches that I had the good fortune to participate in had shooters with pre and post 64 Winchester actions as well as Winchester 70 actions. Remington actions from the 1960's, 70's and 80's also were well represented. Those older actions and rifles have won many matches and have served their owners well. If they had a voice their stories would captivate us and most likely hold us spellbound.

Dare to imagine what it would be like to hold Billy Dixon's, Alvin York's or for that matter any rifle from a member under the command of LT. John Chard in your hands and consider defiling it the manner you suggest.

Attachments

• 102_4343.JPG
      102_4343.JPG
      422.5 KB · Views: 48
    Last edited:
    Reactions: camocorvette
    There were over 29,000 40x's produced. Yours appears to be neither rare nor interesting. You can buy a 40x anytime you want as there are many available for sale. There are 32 for sale right now on Guns International with the average price around $1500...slightly more than a modern production AK47. It's your gun, do what you want with it. I would not hesitate to turn this into a project gun.

Well there you go Kells81 it apparently has been determined that what you have there is neither rare nor interesting, contrary to the title of your post so have it, use it for a jack handle for that matter.

Well there you go Kells81 it apparently has been determined that what you have there is neither rare nor interesting, contrary to the title of your post so have it, use it for a jack handle for that matter.
    Yeah, after re-reading my post it sounds sort of condescending and I did not mean it to be. It's a nice 40x but are there are a lot out there. I love working on guns and wouldn't feel bad if there was a project I really wanted to do and used this gun.

Meh, take it apart. No one but us old guys appreciate the fine art of shooting metallic sights. We'll all get cataracts and eventually die anyways(shrug).....

buffalowinter

I apologize for responding to your post in such a snide manner. It was uncalled for on my part to lash out at you in such a manner.

It must have been my inner-self of a by-gone era creeping to the surface. The fond memories of seeing many fine shooters (that have since passed away) at matches shooting some of the 'classic' rifles, such as the 40-X apparently triggered a defensive mode on my part.

Will have to do a better job at not being so judgmental.

Reactions: buffalowinter
    I’ve got several and while you are kinda right about being a ton of them out there this one is a bit more interesting due to the bolt handle Wescog job and finish. The bolt handle
    Is a very odd mod. But the finish even more so.

I'd sell it and buy a Bighorn Origin and build off of that. Not so much because it's a "40X" :eek: with it's mystical abilities but because it's just an old Remington action. If I was putting money into a build with the quality parts you already have the base of it would not be that.

Reactions: deersniper
    I’m probably part of a very small minority that doesn’t have that lust for the custom actions at this point.

Fellows, I wish you might reframe from referring to firearms built during the years form 1900 to 1999 as being from the last century. It makes me feel so old. Which is to say, I was born in the First half of your last century.

Sure 40X’s are fine rifles. Yes there were quite a few built. If only I could have my Savage 99 in 250 Savage (that was in pristine condition back) or my .357 Ruger three screw. Let’s not talk about autos I have owned and sold, 56 Chevy coupe, 64 Lemans, the 66 Lemans with the 6. And of course, the 1931 Ford roadster that was for sale for $200 that already had a 32 Ford V-8, hydraulic brakes and modern wheels that I could not get my father to spring for when I was 13.

Easy to take it apart now, not so easy to bring it back. Keep the rifle if you are so inclined, but don’t rip it apart. Heck, just because the bolt handle does not look right does not harm the intrinsic value of a fine firearm.

With so many actions available these days, molesting cool old rifles aint very cool.

Just save the original parts, then it isn’t a party foul..

It’s kinda like taking a numbers matching 69’ Camaro that someone switched the intake and carb, and building a drag car out of it.

Camaro’s are like belly buttons everyone has one, it’s not like a rare HEMI 4spd car. I say go for it, I did.

Attachments

• 100FE4DD-F3C0-4991-A5F5-BB895B574FA4.jpeg
      100FE4DD-F3C0-4991-A5F5-BB895B574FA4.jpeg
      957.1 KB · Views: 35