• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Interesting article defies conventional wisdom

Re: Interesting article defies conventional wisdom

i felt the experiment and results were unconvincing , shooting 5 shot groups at 100y with FGMM threw different rifles doesn't really prove anything. It was inconclusive, i guess it gets you thinking though ?

It should be tha basis of a more controlled study, and the qauestions it stimulates could then be better answered.

it was one rifle, not different rifles

Accuracy improved with the later steps of crown damage.

Now comes the replication/validation phase.

Anyone want to fund some research? I have an AR Grendel take-off barrel and an R700 in .308. Neither shot that well. Maybe bunging up the crowns will improve them?

Certainly, if the difference were significant, it would have showed up in the test. What it showed me is that even if the crown is an aspect of accuracy, it is not the critical one that everyone makes it out to be.

As for five shots not being enough... many, many, if not most people settle on the ideal load (charge weight and seating depth) based on 5-shot performance. I wonder how much of this is just being determined by random variation.

Grump-

If you want to send me that take off 308 barrel I'll set it back, put it on my soon to arrive BigHorn and do some tests with it.

I read the article, I'm not going to F*** up a Bartlein like the author did, but I would be willing to put the shop time in and spin a donor 308 factory barrel onto my rifle and see how she fares.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested, I'll post what I did on this place.