• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interesting Barrel Chop Phenomenon

Mordamer

Professional Know It All
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 11, 2010
    Hooker, OK
    I chambered a Bartlein 1:7.5 twist barrel in 6 Dasher a couple years ago and used it off and on in PRS and belly matches. Finished barrel was 28 inches long. I had put about 1,500 rounds through the barrel and it still shot under .5 MOA on the regular.

I had used a fairly hot load initially in the barrel for about 1,000 rounds. Something like 32.5 grains of Varget with a 105 Hybrid. This load was hard on brass and barrels so eventually I switched to 31.0 grains and left it there for about 500 more rounds. The 31.0 grain load was initially at 2,900 FPS but it had dropped down to 2,860 FPS recently. Still shot very consistent and I won a couple very difficult/competitive belly matches with it at this velocity. Shot over 90% hits with it at the Sporting Rifle Match in Raton 2 consecutive matches and chronographed velocity many times.

I had some spare time this last weekend so I decided to chop off the tennon, re-thread, and re-chamber the barrel. I used the same reamer as initial chambering. The total tennon chop took off .75 inches of barrel. The muzzle end wasn't touched so the total length is now 27.25 inches. I bore scoped it afterwards and everything looks great. Nice even land cuts in the throat and the worst fire cracking was cut out.

I screwed it back on the same gun (Bighorn TL3) with the same suppressor and same muzzle brake mount. I went to shoot it and was hitting way high at distance after setting zero. I pulled out the magneto speed v3 and I am now running at 2,985 FPS average. Single digit SD and precision is very good so no funky stuff going on except my velocity is up about 125 FPS! 2,985 FPS also lined up perfectly at 1,000 yards for drop.

I would never have expected this velocity gain and I can't come up with a logical explanation for it. I have done the same thing to Dasher barrels before and only saw about a 30 FPS gain in velocity. I assume that is just from the throat being back to normal freebore again and the bullets having the shorter jump. Nothing with my loads changed. Still using the same brass, powder, and bullets. The same loads still shoot the same speed in my other Dasher barrels as before.

Any thoughts on how I gained so much velocity by shortening the barrel?

Reactions: 3531POG
    Thats extremely odd. The speeds prior to the cut seem slow even given the drop in charge weight. I run 31.4gr in a BRA with 109’s at 2930. Smaller capacity, .4gr more powder, and a 4gr heavier bullet and 2” less barrel (26”).

All I have to really add for thoughts is,
    “Weird barrel is weird”

Thats extremely odd. The speeds prior to the cut seem slow even given the drop in charge weight. I run 31.4gr in a BRA with 109’s at 2930. Smaller capacity, .4gr more powder, and a 4gr heavier bullet and 2” less barrel (26”).

All I have to really add for thoughts is,
    “Weird barrel is weird”
    Smaller capacity and more powder both make for more pressure so I would kind of expect you to be moving at pretty good speed. My 31.0 Varget load is somewhere around 53,000 PSI depending on how you input it to quickload. Your load must be quite a bit higher.

I came here to say this. Especially true with a fastish powder like Varget.
    I think it's pretty extensively documented that 28 inch barrels get higher velocities than 26 inch barrels with a Dasher or even BR or BRA. Quickload also predicts this.

I think something else is going on here.

Will brass chamber easily from first chamber to second chamber prior to resizing?

Sure, but 28" ain't it for a Dasher.

I'm betting it's the fresh chamber and being closer to the lands. Also, the op derived the velocity from drop at 1000. Not a chrono...?

ETA: correction. I see it was chrono'd. 3/4" is negligible. I'm betting it is the fresh machining and/or the reloading.
    The fresh machining is more likely. Loads still shoot the same velocity in my other Dasher barrels.

I have shot somewhere around 10,000 rounds of Dasher in the last 3 years and used this same load in many barrels. Never has one finished at 28 inches shot over 2,930 FPS with this load.

Reactions: OkieJake96
    Will brass chamber easily from first chamber to second chamber prior to resizing?
    Haven't tried. I would guess yes. I haven't ever had a problem with brass from one chamber fitting in another because I use the same machining practice and reamer each time.

Might not hurt to check. Your old chamber might be slightly larger through expansion due to “hot loads”

Might not hurt to check. Your old chamber might be slightly larger through expansion due to “hot loads”
    Can't check at this point. All brass is resized and old chamber is in the trash can. Haha

I think it’s probably just distance to the lands and better neck/bullet sealing with reduced blowby.

How many chambers cut with this reamer? Wondering if it’s slowly wearing and giving a tighter neck/chamber over time.

Reactions: RTH1800
    I think it’s probably just distance to the lands and better neck/bullet sealing with reduced blowby.

How many chambers cut with this reamer? Wondering if it’s slowly wearing and giving a tighter neck/chamber over time.
    About 15 chambers cut.

About 15 chambers cut.
    Don’t know enough about machining and chambering to know whether that’s a lot or not. Maybe check neck clearance and diameter on loaded vs fired brass from this most recent chamber?

My guess is that it’s not gone super tight, if anything just a bit smaller contributing to the better sealing and higher velocity.

With a fixed throat on the reamer I don’t see how much difference in throat other than erosion. Must be throat erosion of old barrel and blow by of gasses.

Reactions: Dolomite_Supafly
    If you had set the barrel back like 5" or more where the bore is tighter i could see that too. But not the 3/4" you did

Reactions: Mordamer
    If you had set the barrel back like 5" or more where the bore is tighter i could see that too. But not the 3/4" you did
    Yeah, I'm still baffled by the pretty large increase in speed. I'm shooting it in a match this coming weekend and I'll see if anything weird happens over the course of about 80 rounds. I have fired about 40 since re-chambering and it's been consistent at the higher velocity.

Yeah, I'm still baffled by the pretty large increase in speed. I'm shooting it in a match this coming weekend and I'll see if anything weird happens over the course of about 80 rounds. I have fired about 40 since re-chambering and it's been consistent at the higher velocity.
    New powder lot by chance?

Reactions: KZP
    I believe when you rechambered it you tightened the throat back up. It reaches max pressure before the bullet moves an inch so if that first inch is loose you are going to loose some of the pressure. Setting it back tightened things back up to be able to use the pressure.

ETA: And when pressures start to increase so does the burn rate. The higher the pressure the faster the powder burns as well.

An update on this:
    I have fired several hundred rounds since the barrel chop and velocity has stayed the same. Precision is very good.

Would be curious if you slugged the barrel if it just happens to be a tight spot on the bore where you put the throat. Would explain the extra boost and since you are on a lighter load you might not see the added pressure signs in the brass quite yet.

Velocity is not free. Also, less barrel = less velocity. Something caused pressure to increase when you set it back. Smaller diameter in the neck/throat could do it.

Reactions: Dolomite_Supafly