• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interesting Drop comparison--Standard vs. HV

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
In my gun the difference in Wolf ME 40 gr lead @ 1058 fps and Federal American Eagle 40 gr lead @ 1248 fps.

50 yard zero on both. All drop data in SMOA (inches @ 100 yds)

Distance .... Wolf ... Fed AE
100 yards .... 7.25 .... 5.75
150 yards ... 16.50 ... 13.25
200 yards ... 27.75 ... 22.00
300 yards ... 51.75 ... 42.00

200 fps makes a lot of difference.

Might have to try some Stingers!

HB

Re: Interesting Drop comparison--Standard vs. HV

The subsonic transition happens around 50-60 yards with the HV ammo.

If I get time, I may shoot some groups at 40-75 yards in 5 yard increments to see if anything happens.

Shooting at 50, 75 and 100 yards, I cannot tell, there's no big "jump" in group size. The Wolf and Fed. HV shoot about the same at 100, with a slight edge to the Wolf, maybe 3/8" or so.

HB

I kind of been wondered about this whole subsonic, standard, and high velocity issue. I'm sure there's something to it, but my results haven't really shown that I care a great deal for the subsonic rounds as my best 50 yard groups come from the Federal 510 - 40 grain High Velocity rounds.

Further expermintation is needed on my part of course, and results may change once I start shooting for group from 100, 150, & 200 yards. And when and if the rain ever stops where I live, I'll get back to my testing.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I kind of been wondered about this whole subsonic, standard, and high velocity issue. I'm sure there's something to it, but my results haven't really shown that I care a great deal for the subsonic rounds as my best 50 yard groups come from the <span style="font-weight: bold">Federal 510</span> - 40 grain High Velocity rounds.

Further expermintation is needed on my part of course, and results may change once I start shooting for group from 100, 150, & 200 yards. And when and if the rain ever stops where I live, I'll get back to my testing.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Joe, I have found that 510's shoot crazy good in about anything except 2 of my Browning BuckMarks. They seem to have too many FTF where the CCI mini-mags are flawless in them. 510's at 200yds in my CZ, FinnFire, and several 10/22's are surprisingly accurate.

Keith

Keith, I'm shooting a Mark II FVT Savage, and as said above have had good groups from 50 yards with the Fed. 510's...

Where my accuracy fell off (the worst) was with the Winchester T22 (XT22LR) which is a Standard Vel. of I believe 1150fps - 40 grain bullet.

Federal 711B 40 grain (1080fps) performed well at 25 and 50 yards, but really no better then the Fed. 510 40 grain HV 1260fps. Perhaps at that range a difference would not be that noticeable?

I'm not a tac-driving bench rest shooter, so if I get between 1/2" and 3/4" 50 yard groups from 50 yards off the bench with the use of my bipod and my rifle tucked into my shoulder, I'm happy with the results.

I do know that "true" Bench Rest shooting is a sport into itself that requires much more accuracy then I do from 50 yards, and I can appreciate that.

Raining again today. Will it ever end???
smile.gif

Joe,
Like you I'm not a rimfire BR guy. We do try to squeeze all of the accuracy we can out of "normal" 22 rifles. A bud bought one of the Waltz dies and we are going to try them on the 510's in our bolt guns.

I shot T-22's in a GM barreled 10/22 that shot consistently under an inch at 100yds but started getting ugly quickly beyond that.

I'm going to go shooting now trying to beat the rain (tomorrow). Nothing but rimfire today. 10/22's and BuckMarks for me. New Anschutz for my shootin' bud. Should be a good time.

Keith