• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interesting interview on ELR

oneshot.onehit

Trigger Puller
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2010
USA
1.5 hours of ELR, kinda cool stuff

The only error I see I made when doing the interview was I referenced my old 375VM2 being based off of a “505” African when it really should of been 585 African necked down to the 375. I had 505 in my head because of working and testing the 505 Flat line in my 416 Warner now.

Oneshot.onehit
JH

Last edited:
They stated small velocity deviations are easier to obtain with larger case volumes. What would be the lesser cartridge where this begins to be true?

Scootch

They stated small velocity deviations are easier to obtain with larger case volumes. What would be the lesser cartridge where this begins to be true?

Scootch
Not sure but I get es of 3 in my 243 w/10 group

Attachments

• 65E7175B-64AD-4D90-BC31-FA671614D4EC.jpeg
    65E7175B-64AD-4D90-BC31-FA671614D4EC.jpeg
    518.3 KB · Views: 31
Being able to get low ES numbers can be had with most it comes down to load development I have been able to do well with my 260 as well as the larger rifles. Some just come together faster then others. For example a typical 1 grain of 20n29 averages about 14 kernels of powder when comparing case capacity and fine tuning a load.

Jasent nice load

Oneshot.onehit

Reactions: Geno C.
Being able to get low ES numbers can be had with most it comes down to load development I have been able to do well with my 260 as well as the larger rifles. Some just come together faster then others. For example a typical 1 grain of 20n29 averages about 14 kernels of powder when comparing case capacity and fine tuning a load.

Jasent nice load

Oneshot.onehit
I think has more todo with the right powder, and bullet combo. Good case fill and consistent neck tension

Thanks osoh

I’ll go out on a limb and say it’s physics. The larger the case the easier it is to get consistently low extreme spreads because it’s easier to get the charge variations down to an extremely small percentage spread. Let’s go to the extreme, a kernal of powder difference in a 22 hornet makes a larger percentage difference that a kernal in a bmg case.

Any case can get low extreme spreads. It’s just easier with larger ones in my experience. Then there are yet other cases that seem to fight you the whole time and never give low spreads....

Not sure but I get es of 3 in my 243 w/10 group
Not to detract from a nice load, but 3 shots is an extremely small sample to try and verify speed data. I try to get a minimum of 10 to give me a level of confidence that I’ll take to a match. The farther out you’re shooting, the more important it is for the sample to be larger.

Not to detract from a nice load, but 3 shots is an extremely small sample to try and verify speed data. I try to get a minimum of 10 to give me a level of confidence that I’ll take to a match. The farther out you’re shooting, the more important it is for the sample to be larger.
i took the pick after 3 shots( doing load development and feeling pretty proud of my self) then walked back to the house and loaded 20 more. Shot 7 more with the magneto speed on. Then put the next 10 on a 10x10 plate at 735 yards.

If you notice in the pic it says es of 2. After shooting 10 rounds over the v3 my es increased to 3. I forgot to take a pic afterwards.
I have repeated the velocity test several times and es of 4 was my worst.

It’s a great load and I’ve taken that 243 out to a mile with 115gr vlds.

Attachments

• 0E5F49C6-CB24-440B-9CB6-D9AFE6FDCBC9.jpeg
    0E5F49C6-CB24-440B-9CB6-D9AFE6FDCBC9.jpeg
    799.9 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: Geno C.