• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

...Interesting Post on 224V Accuracy Issues

r.tenorio671

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
13° 28' 0" N / 144° 46' 59" E
Well... I’d like there to be light shone on this subject. It’s really just a guessing game about the accuracy issues so far. Pretty much only speculation. My 90g shoot horrible. Look at Jonny’s reloading bench on YouTube... he can’t get the thing to group using multiple powders and bullets. Didn’t JP update the reamers they used? I’d love to save time playing the load development game if it’s as simple as a bad reamer.

I rarely ever jump on products at release, this year I jumped on two that I had the utmost confidence in. The Leupold Mark 5 and the 224 Valkyrie. I haven't been let down by either.

I ordered two Valkyries at the beginning just after announcement, a barrel from Craddock Precision and a full rifle from LMT. I haven't received the LMT yet but I've been running the Craddock barrel for a few months and it's a hammer. I know some other people with their barrels and they are no different. I contribute the success I've had with the Valkyrie to my choice in a quality custom manufacturer. Companies like Craddock do check everything and test the products vs letting the consumers do their T&E like some companies seem to be doing.

99% of the the time when you drop the cash for good shit you're getting exactly what you paid a premium for.

There have been some fucked up chambers, absolutely no doubt, but there has also been a lot of finger pointing when someone has gotten a bad product and has absolutely no idea how to troubleshoot the issue. First it was "Federal ammo is junk", now it's some reamers.

The issue I have is exactly how did this longer freebore reamer came about? Somebody wrote a program for that reamer spec, it didn't just accidentally get made, it doesn't work like that. There's a lot of possibilities to how it came to be, how many of them were out there, and whether a manufacturer knowingly ordered that spec reamer or it was a mistake on PTG's part.

There were several aftermarket companies who were offering barrels and uppers before the SAAMI announcement that had no part in the development of the round. They had reamers made some of them got it right and some didn't.

If you want to sit on the sideline and wait, fine. There are several companies doing it right though and turning out solid products, regardless on how long you wait there will still be companies putting out sub par shit, there always will be.

I totally agree with the above statement.
Constructor from AR Performance knows his shit and I'm sure the issue will be sorted, and he is right a similar issue almost killed the 68SPC and is how we ended up with a Spec II chamber desighn since big green didn't fix it themselves.

Reactions: Forward543
Here's an interesting twist. I just measured my chamber using the backwards flat base bullet method and got 1.732" which is .056" longer than the .1676" it should be for SAAMI if that method and measurement is correct. My barrel shoots lights out with all of the factory ammo. Sub 1/2 minute with the 90gr.

I'll take "next excuse your shitty barrel isn't shooting" for $1000, Trebek.

Here's an interesting twist. I just measured my chamber using the backwards flat base bullet method and got 1.732" which is .056" longer than the .1676" it should be for SAAMI if that method and measurement is correct. My barrel shoots lights out with all of the factory ammo. Sub 1/2 minute with the 90gr.

Is that taking into account the radius at the base were it transitions from full diameter to the flat ?

I, like many people are trying to troubleshoot a problem. I appreciate your input and advice and even find the banter amusing. I drilled and tapped my own brass to fit the Hornady COAL gauge and measured my chamber. My OGIVE is 1.8175 with a COAL of 2.3215. Given this information it appears my chamber is out of spec. Is this an accurate assessment.

[QUOTE="redneckbmxer24, post: 7083818, I've been running the Craddock barrel for a few months and it's a hammer. I know some other people with their barrels and they are no different. I contribute the success I've had with the Valkyrie to my choice in a quality custom manufacturer. Companies like Craddock do check everything and test the products vs letting the consumers do their T&E like some companies seem to be doing.[/QUOTE]

I’ve had the same experience with my Craddock barrel, a 20 inch 1 in 7 twist Criterion blank the has impressed me right from the beginning. Very glad I spent a little more on this build. I’ve had none of the problems I’ve read about other people having. FGMM 90 gr SMK’s are comfortably sub moa...... The Hide here has the best reloading thread I can find for the Valk, and why I signed up...... I’m looking forward to seeing how far the cartridge goes this summer.

Got an interesting email from JP on Thursday in reference to my 224 Valkyrie Upper order. It appears they have been having issues getting the heavies to shoot accurately on a consistent basis. They gave me the option to cancel my order, which is extremely honorable. I elected to cancel at this time and re-visit my options at a later time. Unfortunately I have a bit of items I purchased for this caliber which will soon be on the "Items For Sale" section of these forums. OH WELL !!!!

Is there any way to know which company produced specific barrels and with which reamer? I have the savage recon. It shoots the SMK's very well, but its junk with all other factory loads, and trying to find a good varmint round has been terrible. I just ordered a box of 77gr TMK's thinking that anything 60gr and below is not favored by this rifle.

I asked airborne arms what reamers they used and was told it was intellectual property and they legally could not reveal that information. What ever.....

I'm following all of this with great interest, as I have a 22" 6.7 twist Rock Creek by Craddock on order right now. I trust the few people on here that have posted good results and expect it should be the same for me.

I asked airborne arms what reamers they used and was told it was intellectual property and they legally could not reveal that information. What ever.....
In that case then, if our barrels are out of spec, is it a "sorry bout your luck" scenario, or would it be considered a safety issue and replacement would be covered by the company?

A long freebore would not create a safety concern and may actually be desirable in some cases.

For a small company like Airborne Arms to say it is intellectual property is not uncommon. If they produce a product that is working well, other companies would very much be interested in learning what maybe working better than there own.

Sounds like a CYA to me, there is nothing to protect except their bank account if it's not shooting well.

Is there any way to know which company produced specific barrels and with which reamer? I have the savage recon. It shoots the SMK's very well, but its junk with all other factory loads, and trying to find a good varmint round has been terrible. I just ordered a box of 77gr TMK's thinking that anything 60gr and below is not favored by this rifle.
There is a method to measure the freebore with a gauge pin or a backward flat base bullet. It's not particularly difficult if you are set up to measure CBTO but if you aren't a reloader it could be tricky.

Mine is a frigging laser beam, but you have to know how to drive a Semi-Auto, which 99% out cannot

IMG_0420.JPG

the only issue is the 90gr ammo, that does not work, this is cheap ass 50 cent American Eagle 75gr stuff, 3 shots if you are wondering

Out to 600, it's insanely accurate after you better know the wind cause it starts to really affect the light bullet.

I have shot mine to 1125 yards in CO and 1000 yards in AK but could not see any hits, the bullet is too small to spot unless everything is perfect

IMG_8859e.jpg

When the Hornady 88gr comes out that stuff will rock the cat box and scratch the litter

Not knowing how to "drive a Semi-Auto" is not what's screwing up a bunch of .224 Valkyrie shooters, it's chambers with too much freebore.

If yours is a laser with excessive freebore, measure it and let us know.

Funny every time a guy who thinks he knows how to shoot a semi comes to my class with one, I see they have no clue how to do it.

But if you want to blame the freebore, okay, above too much is being posted as a good thing.

If "everything" but the 90 gr stuff is shooting sub 1/2 MOA and the 90gr stuff is 3/4 MOA which has been pretty typical, I would say fix it. Guys are reporting the 88gr Hornady is stacking them in one hole.

They warned me off the 90, so I bought 2 cases of the 75gr and they work lights out. Try switching bullets and see what happens.

My rifle shoots, I am not gonna worry about the rest out there.

The guys shooting Savages that don't work, well there is a clue in the Name right there, enough said, Savage.

Funny every time a guy who thinks he knows how to shoot a semi comes to my class with one, I see they have no clue how to do it.

But if you want to blame the freebore, okay, above too much is being posted as a good thing.

If "everything" but the 90 gr stuff is shooting sub 1/2 MOA and the 90gr stuff is 3/4 MOA which has been pretty typical, I would say fix it. Guys are reporting the 88gr Hornady is stacking them in one hole.

They warned me off the 90, so I bought 2 cases of the 75gr and they work lights out. Try switching bullets and see what happens.

My rifle shoots, I am not gonna worry about the rest out there.

The guys shooting Savages that don't work, well there is a clue in the Name right there, enough said, Savage.
Flyer doesn't have a 224V. He's just agitating and stirring up shit to show how the 6mm version he has on order is superior (which it may be, but who cares?).

More freebore is good if you like shooting light weight bullets at magazine length.

It's not good for shooting heavy bullets 1,000+ yards which is why most people are buying .224.

It sounds like you got an actual SAAMI spec chamber. A lot of people were not that lucky.

It's pretty insulting for you to assume that people having issues don't know how to shoot when there is a real issue that has been identified.

More freebore is good if you like shooting light weight bullets at magazine length.

It's not good for shooting heavy bullets 1,000+ yards which is why most people are buying .224.
Please explain this reasoning.

Yeah, I like my 6mm but .224 and Federal are getting a bad rap due to a reamer screw up, not people who can't shoot.

I wanted to like .224 Valkyrie but the velocity wasn't what I wanted.

I have no reason to want .224 to fail, I just don't want people to buy barrels with screwed up chambers and then get insulted.

After 800 yards it's super hard to shoot, the wind is extremely difficult. So if you bought this to shoot past 1000 yards you made a mistake.

Even in AK the winds are super light, you can barely see and tell where it impacts and the wind moves it twice as far as a bad 168gr 308 going about 2550. The wind drift is big on this bullet.

I have shot it to 1125 yards and gotten very good hits, the only way to know you've gotten hits is to head downrange and look. They do not show up on steel and barely make a sound if you do get a hit. My steel is LOUD, you cannot hear it.

In Alaska with mirage it's even harder to see and while most guys are edge of plate for a wind hold you have 2 mils at 800 yards which many do not expect

I have spoken to both Hornady and JP and the 88gr bullets work from the same chambers vs the 90s. Might be a clue there for guys trying to default to the heaviest of bullets.

Reactions: RanchRifle
A light bullet has a much shorter ogive so when it is loaded at magazine length it gets much closer to the lands.

A heavier bullet has a long ogive so the bullet has to jump a lot longer before it engages the rifling and can get a bit sideways if the freebore is too long.

A chamber with the proper freebore has far less jump so the factory ammo actually shoots accurately.

I have no clue and haven't heard of 88 grain results yet.

There are just some (not all) barrels with bad chambers that don't shoot very well with anything.

People need to be very careful with what they buy if they don't want to get stuck with a bad barrel.

It does sound like Savage had some bad barrels but they were not the only ones using the bad reamer.

I wish i had the tools to check my bison armory barrel. it's going to bother me not knowing for certain until i can get out and really shoot the damn thing.

I talked to Hornady yesterday. They said they know about the reamers and their 88gr ELD ammo is being developed with/for the SAAMI spec chamber.
Some bullets are more tolerant of jump and the extra jump will make little difference. Some bullets with a big jump may be in the sweet spot, others may not. For the last 35 years or so I've tried to set my bullets to either jam .005 or .010-.020 off if possible. Handloading and finding accuracy for the barrels with a long freebore isn't a problem, factory loads in some of those barrels were. The Factory loaded 90s were shooting 3/4-1 1/4" range out of my long freebore barrels, after loading the same 90s with a .005" jam they were shooting 3/8-1/2". We'll see how it all shakes out after 6 months or so.
The pic below is where I've just started working up loads for a TAC 6 not a Valkyrie, only 3 shot groups at 100 to narrow down what I want to work on. I can get the 95smks close to the lands at mag length like I can the 105 Bergers. I can not get the ELDs close to the lands so they don't shoot groups like these at mag length. They may when I start going backwards loading them shorter and shorter each time but for now the ELDs do not shoot like this. There are 3 groups out of 8 that run right around 1/4", others 3/4-1" or more. Just goes to show how they can shoot when I have my shit together and the charge and OAL is right. Seems like I have a Valkyrie target with one good group somewhere. Ok 2nd pic, 3rd target on the top using 80gr Bergers. I can seat the Berger close to the lands of the long freebore chamber at 2.295" max my PRI or SIX8 pmags will allow. I can not get close with 90 or 95gr SMks or any of the ELDs.

Attachments

• IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    498.9 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
So FWIW, I measured my Rainier with a backwards 53gr Sierra Flat Base HP.

Average of 5 measurements:
OAL 1.708 avg
Engraving lead into bullet -.032 deep
So 1.708 - .032 = 1.676" ... Exactly SAAMI spec.

Rainier seems to have normal reamer (if there are any that aren't). Mine has done quite well so far.

Factory 60gr Nosler shot .29” best 5 shot and avg .5”.
Factory 75gr AMEagle FMJ shot 1" average
Handload 69gr SMK 27-27.5gr CFE average .6" 3 shot
Handload 69 TMK 27.0-28gr CFE average .5" 3 shot 3 groups; best .4"
73gr ELDM 26-27.5gr avg .6" 3 shot groups 3 groups

Normally shoot 5 shot groups but I'm just doing OCW/node testing with various bullets/powders during "break-in". Continues to get better so far.

Mine is a 24" 6.5 twist shilen and its doing well with the 90s. I took it to Wyoming last weekend for prairie dogs. My longest first round hit was 670 yd's. I shot it on a steel range out to 1015 yd's and it grouped about 10", I didn't have a tape. It shot a 4" group at 800 on a 10" plate. It's a lot less wind sensitive than my 223 A.R . The 90s don't kill as quick as the light weight bullets, some I hit twice to finish them off. The wind was 15- 20 mph all day Saturday, so the Valkyrie was working way better beyond 500 yd's.
image.jpg

Mine is a 24" 6.5 twist shilen and its doing well with the 90s. I took it to Wyoming last weekend for prairie dogs. My longest first round hit was 670 yd's. I shot it on a steel range out to 1015 yd's and it grouped about 10", I didn't have a tape. It shot a 4" group at 800 on a 10" plate. It's a lot less wind sensitive than my 223 A.R . The 90s don't kill as quick as the light weight bullets, some I hit twice to finish them off. The wind was 15- 20 mph all day Saturday, so the Valkyrie was working way better beyond 500 yd's.View attachment 6916139

What is the blue gunk on your ar 15?

Your contempt for nearly everyone here oozes through your every post these days.

He's right though.

Valkyrie has created a wave of people jumping on board precision gas guns who otherwise have little to no experience with them and they cuss the round because they can't shoot worth a fuck. Not the rifle or barrel, but the round itself which was developed and is loaded by the company that has been the gold standard for top quality match ammo for decades. People continuously spew that the Valkyrie has "kinks" because they read were billy bob is getting 3"+ out of his shitty hodgepodge rifle with a craptastic $100 optic.

There's so much retard surrounding the Valkyrie it's unreal, just go join one of the Valkyrie Facebook groups if you don't believe me. There's shit on there that you can't make up. Just recently somebody said their buddy bought one (indicated to be a Savage) that was blowing primers and sent it back and that he believes that the firing pin is too long and causing it. That's the kind of dumbass inbred fucks that are buying these things, do you really think that someone that out of tune is going to be a rockstar behind a trigger? I think not.

Or whats been going on over at barfcum for years, people can't accept the fact that they just aren't good shooters and claim "there's no such thing as a sub moa all day AR15". Have one that can actually shoot sub half minute the majority of the time, not the one group out of 100 that the stars aligned for, but with shooter error prints sub 1/2 minute 75% of the time and their heads spin.

Valkyrie is a great round, there's several companies putting out solid rifles and barrels, Federal ammo across the board is among the absolute best factory ammo made, and gas guns are harder to shoot that some others... End of story.

It's not contempt by any stretch, I just don't suffer fools and a lot of it is based on experience.

I am in full teaching mode now that spring / summer is here. I see it a lot, i saw it in my last block of classes, of which I was shooting my Valkyrie. I brought the Valkyrie to Alaska, I had the guys up there get me 75gr American Eagle for $118 a case. I know what the rifle will do and where the issues lie.
IMG_8868 (1280x829).jpg

I tend to focus on my technique, in short, perfect practice versus volume or just getting hits.

While many of us feel 5/8" is the top edge of accuracy, we are seeing much better results with this system than the internet would have you believe.

Recently, the local monthly match here in CO had a .22 cal shoot off among some of the better shooters. A sub-set used a .22 variant, whether .223 or .224 and again, Mike (Everyday Sniper Mike) won this battle using the same Valkyrie from JP shooting 90gr Federal. And yes, we see the 90gr Federal as the weak link here, but it's still better than 1 MOA if properly driven. He was also top 10 overall in a match with targets out to 1250 yards.

I also have been talking with the guys at JP since before SHOT Show up until my rifle was delivered. We spoke almost weekly, not to mention Brian Whalen here in CO is a JP Team Shooter who had the Valkyrie months before most others. We shot his, we discussed, we evaluated. Because most of us are Instructors we tend to hyper analyze a lot of stuff and frankly, the Valkyrie is not an issue.

Does that mean Savage doesn't have an issue, not at all, does that mean a Lego Valkyrie does not have an issue, not at all. But properly put together the Valkyrie works and works as advertised.

I focus on my fundamentals, this is why every single class a student will ask me to "Shoot their rifle" as they want to see what it does when I shoot it versus what it is doing when they shoot it. I shoot in front of students every class, in my videos I toss clips where I might make a technical mistake but still hit the target. Might be something as simple as closing my left eye, and I am left eye dominant, but if I close it, 95% of the time that video clip is trashed. I am a broken record doing the same thing over and over as we all know Consistency is King.

I can troll around Facebook and see the BS, my favorite lately is when seeing a Shooter, call out a member of a different group or discipline for whatever reason and the crowd cheers, "Ya for the truth bombs, good job BOB, you told him, no BS zone, etc" the second that mirror faces back it's a whole different story. My question is, do you want to hear it straight or do you want me to sugar coat it to make you feel good about your decision.

Every week I have someone ask me about a buying decision, the instant i say, No, or avoid that product, they usually will state, "Well I just bought it". I even had a guy in class just recently ask me at dinner about a laser. I said, nah, there are better and cheaper options, he frowned and said, I just bought one. What they want is validation, for me to agree with their choices and I just don't work that way.

I sort of feel like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack laughing at the Hat on the Mannequin when he turns to the Judge who is wearing the hat he smirks, "It looks great on you" , clearly not so much, but that is people want to hear.

I call it like I see it, hurt feelings all. It's not personal unless you make it so, it's just how i roll.

The blue gunk is RTV gasket maker. I use it on the charging handle so wet bolt lube and gas doesn't pop me in the eye shooting suppressed. This particular S&W lower had more slop with the upper than I like so I ran a smear near the rear of the lower to tighten things up. The 223 in the back ground is a seekins upper and lower, and it has a screw in the lower to tighten the two halfs. I know, I know, they say " The slop between the upper and lower don't matter, I can hit a big ole steel plate all day". I don't like it so I fix it, and it sure don't hurt it to be tight. I could have done a lot better job, but I don't care so much about looks, just performance. And like the above poster said. I think a lot of guys are trying to buy a $300 upper or a $200 barrel and then get butt hurt when it won't shoot small ,then blaming the round. My barrel is clocking 2749 with the 90s and shoots them into 1/2 to 5/8". Not bad for factory ammo. I don't think savage and some others are using good enough barrels for what it was designed for, longer ranges. My 223 is a 12 twist rock creek , shooting 50 gr v max bullets and the wind is hard on them past 500, that's where the Valkyrie takes over. Bye the way, Jard triggers rock! Mine is a consistent 1 1/2 lbs on a good digital scale.

Last edited:
Reactions: culater
Mine is a frigging laser beam, but you have to know how to drive a Semi-Auto

Would you mind talking a little more about this? I’m at best an OK shooter. I shoot a little better with a bolt action than a semi-auto, and would like to improve.

Interesting thread. Learned a lot. Jumped on the .224 Valkyrie bandwagon to see if it could deliver in some gas-gun competitions out to 1,000 yards. Was shooting my 6.5 Creedmoor (LWRCI Elite / Proof Research 24" barrel) with great success (it's a nail-driver), but wanted to try .224 and see since the ammo is cheaper and the form-factor lighter.

Got a Bushmaster lower paired it with a Pro2A-Tactical Premium upper (Ballistic Advantage 18" Fluted "Premium" barrel).

Long story short ... lousy results thus far. 3-MOA groups at 100 yards when everything else I shoot (.223, 6.5G, 6.5C, 300WM) shoots sub-MOA. Very inconsistent results.

Changed and/or tried all the usual suspects:
- Broken in properly to manufacturer's advice
- Barrel nut torque
- Scope and mount (Leupold Mark-5)
- Ammo (Factory Hornady-88ELD and Federal SMK-90)
- Trigger (TriggerTech Diamond-AR)
- Gas (tuned to 4-o'clock ejection)
- etc. etc. etc. blah blah blah

Even bore-scoped with my endoscope and all looks good.

After 300+ rounds and multiple range visits, still struggling with 3-MOA inconsistent groups, and fliers in all directions. It's just not improving.

Support at Pro2A-Tactical has been awesome, but together we've been unable to figure it out yet.

I know what I 'm doing, and shoot everything else I own to tight groups. Can't figure out why this supposedly "premium" upper can't deliver.

I've ordered a very high-end upper from White Oak Armament (6.5 twist, 22" barrel) to see if it's "me", or the "upper".

Should know in a couple of weeks. Stay tuned ...

Interesting thread. Learned a lot. Jumped on the .224 Valkyrie bandwagon to see if it could deliver in some gas-gun competitions out to 1,000 yards. Was shooting my 6.5 Creedmoor (LWRCI Elite / Proof Research 24" barrel) with great success (it's a nail-driver), but wanted to try .224 and see since the ammo is cheaper and the form-factor lighter.

Got a Bushmaster lower paired it with a Pro2A-Tactical Premium upper (Ballistic Advantage 18" Fluted "Premium" barrel).

Long story short ... lousy results thus far. 3-MOA groups at 100 yards when everything else I shoot (.223, 6.5G, 6.5C, 300WM) shoots sub-MOA. Very inconsistent results.

- Barrel nut torque

After 300+ rounds and multiple range visits, still struggling with 3-MOA inconsistent groups, and fliers in all directions. It's just not improving.

Support at Pro2A-Tactical has been awesome, but together we've been unable to figure it out yet.

I know what I 'm doing, and shoot everything else I own to tight groups. Can't figure out why this supposedly "premium" upper can't deliver.

I've ordered a very high-end upper from White Oak Armament (6.5 twist, 22" barrel) to see if it's "me", or the "upper".

The 18” barrel w/ 1:7 may struggle with the heavies due to velocity, so that’s probably part of the problem.

The WOA barrels shoot. I’m getting consistent sub moa groups with the FGMM 90’s.

Reactions: gpkon66
Thanks Triple-D ... that's what I've heard about White Oak. That said, the Pro2A uppers are well reviewed and are supposedly pretty good too. Time will tell. If the WOA is better, that's what I'll keep ... and mount the Pro2A on a cheap lower and give it to my son for Christmas. He shoots for "fun", not for "groups", so he'd be thrilled with that as a gift.

FWIW, I found out a couple things during my .224V experiment. I am shooting with a 20" 6.5 twist Craddock/Bartlein barrel. I got horrible accuracy with federal 90s. It turned out that I had a defective or poorly installed gas block (my fault). Fixed, that got me to 2-3 MOA with Federals. Not happy making. Next, turns out that Hornady 88s shoot better than the federals in my setup. Next, I went to a slightly heavier spring on my JP SCSS. That helped a fair bit and got me to 1-2 MOA. Last and most important for me. 223/556 with the same setup (except Krieger barrel) is very forgiving. I can shoot consistently well. 224V and 6.5G seem to amplify any mistakes I make with fundamentals. Can't tell you why, maybe someone smarter than me can answer that. With the adjustments and with Hornady 88s I can do around MOA. If I really focus on fundamentals I can do better. Life is a journey, sometimes a frustrating one.

- Barrel nut torque

Our 22” 1/7 is a hammer with 90s and 88s. I chased gremlins for a while with the 88s. 3 would go in one hole and 2 would fly 3” in a random direction. Turns out the eld tips were randomly breaking off when chambering. This didn’t happen with factory ammo, I believe because of the shorter OAL. When I seated reloads out longer the tip was reaching too far between the lugs and breaking off on the face of the chamber. I though about a solution but switched to 90s and am actually glad this happened because they are lasers.

Cycle the gun hard a number of times and let it feed from the mag. Check the rounds to see if they are getting beat up when chambered. Do this with dummy rounds or else somewhere pointed in a safe direction.

Try single feeding and not slamming the bolt hard and see if anything changes with the groups.

- Barrel nut torque

You bought a $400 upper with a barrel that are usually decent for the $$ (but not always) and are one of the companies that got the throat length wrong... $400 for a complete upper with a "match grade" barrel should be a sign that you're getting crap for parts quality and crap for build quality, that's literally the bottom of the bargain bin stuff.

Not trying to be a dick, but your first mistake was expecting exceptional accuracy out of complete upper that costs less than most of the high quality AR barrels. Your second mistake was not researching the parts before purchasing and seeing that there was reamer/throat issues and BA was one of the manufacturers running the incorrect reamer.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
True enough unfortunately. My Craddock Precision barrel with matching bolt and threaded was over $500. It shoots lights out, but then I already knew that Craddock had the chamber and throat worked out.

- Barrel nut torque

Some chambers had long throats (freebore) making the jump to the lands huge. The real SAAMI chamber has a .050 freebore and with a 88ELD it should hit the lands at 2.328. Try the 80ELD loaded to 2.295 with H4895, start at 22gr and work up to 25gr. That 80 at 3000fps will have less drop and drift than 88gr at the vel you can push it.

Reactions: ed308